Marshmallows are a puffy sweet little treats that can instantly lift up your mood. They can be devoured on their own or can be used to top drinks and desserts for a great texture and flavor. But what if I tell you that you can turn simple marshmallows into an eye-catching festive treat? Yes, that’s true!
In the article below, I will be sharing with you a delicious vanilla bean marshmallow topper recipe that can make your festive table look stunning. All you need is a few ingredients to make the marshmallows and some piping skills to decorate them. Once these treats are made, you can not only enjoy them on your own, but they can also be used as festive giveaways!
So, aren’t you excited to find out an easy marshmallow topper recipe? But before we get there, let me share some tips with you. It’s really important to check the temperature of your sugar syrup to prevent it from burning. The gelatin is mixed with cold water to let it hydrate or bloom so that it does its function of binding things together.
This step is integral because without blooming the gelatin properly, you will end up with blobs of undissolved raw gelatin in the marshmallow. This will spoil the consistency of the marshmallow mixture.
The blooming process ensures the gelatin will dissolve evenly and you can whisk it in the sugar syrup easily. Lastly, you can add any flavor to the sugar syrup depending on what flavor marshmallow toppers you want.
Now that you have an idea of the few important steps that will help you achieve the right consistency of marshmallow mixture, let’s check out the detailed recipe below.
Other Halloween Recipes That You Can Try
- Lolly Pop Ghosts
- Monster Cake Pops
- Ghostbuster Birthday Cake
- Hostess Twinkies
- Marshmallow Pops
- Nutter Butter Boos
- Ghostbuster Cocktail
- Ghostbuster Cookies
- Hocus Pocus Cookies
- Crockpot Candy Crack
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Marshmallow Toppers?
- Stand Mixer or Electric Mixer – You will require a mixer to mix the ingredients.
- Saucepan – A saucepan will be needed to make the water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt mixture.
- Candy Thermometer – A candy thermometer will help you to measure the temperature of the mixture and prevent it from burning.
- Baking Pan – A baking pan will be required to set the marshmallow mix.
- Bowl – You will require bowls to soak the gelatin and mix cornstarch and sugar for dusting.
- Spatula – A spatula will help to spread the marshmallow mixture evenly.
- Small Cookie Cutter – You will need a cookie cutter to cut out round marshmallows.
- Microwave – A microwave will help you to melt the candy melts for decorations.
- Piping Bags – Piping bags will help you to decorate the marshmallow toppers.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Marshmallow Toppers?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|20 Mins.||30 Mins.||4 Hours||5 Hours|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Marshmallow Toppers?
- Gelatin – For making this recipe, we will use unflavored gelatin, which will serve as the scaffolding that keeps all the sugar and flavor in place and gives the marshmallow its stretchy, gooey texture.
- Water – To bloom or hydrate the gelatin, we will use cold water.
- Sugar – Sugar will provide sweetness to marshmallows. In this recipe, we will use 2 cups of granulated sugar and 1.4 cups of confectioners’ sugar to dust the marshmallow.
- Corn Syrup – You will require light corn syrup in the mixture to help prevent crystals from forming once the syrup is cooled.
- Salt – Salt is used to support the structure of marshmallows and enhance other flavors. In this recipe, we will use kosher salt.
- Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste – Vanilla extract is used to provide vanilla flavor and aroma.
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray – A non-stick cooking spray will prevent your marshmallows from sticking to the dish.
- Colorful Candy Melts – You will need different colors of candy melts to decorate your marshmallows.
Steps To Make Marshmallow Toppers
1. Prepare The Sugar Syrup
In a bowl, combine gelatin with ½ cup of cold water. Take a saucepan and combine the remaining 1/2 cup of cold water, granulated sugar, salt, and corn syrup. Cover the sugar syrup and allow it to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover the mixture and, using a candy thermometer, check the temperature of the liquid. Once the mixture reaches 240 degrees, turn the heat off.
Now turn on your stand mixer or take the help of an electric mixer, and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the gelatin. Increase the speed to high and continue whipping until it becomes thick. Add the vanilla extract or vanilla bean. This will take you about 12-15 minutes.
2. Prepare The Pan
In a separate small bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch together. Coat a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then add the cornstarch mixture and coat the sides and bottom of the pan nicely. Now pour the prepared marshmallow mixture into the pan using a lightly oiled spatula to spread it evenly in the pan.
Once the surface of your marshmallow is spread evenly, dust the top with the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Allow the marshmallow toppers mixture to sit uncovered for 4 hours or overnight. Using a small cookie cutter, cut the marshmallows into circles and transfer them to a tray lined with parchment.
3. Decorate Your Marshmallow Toppers
Congratulations! Your marshmallow toppers are ready. And now all you have to do is decorate them using colored chocolates filled in piping bags, depending on how you want them to look. You can decorate them by making eyes and a smile, or you can give them a snowman makeover by making a scarf too. The possibilities are many, so bring out your best creativity.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
How Will Marshmallow Toppers Look and Taste Like?
Marshmallow toppers have a fantastic taste. They are sweet, smooth, chewy, and great to look at. You can add them to hot chocolate and milk. You can also eat them dipped in chocolate or peanut butter.
But one of the unique qualities of marshmallow toppers is the fact they are so attractive to look at. You can decorate them in your home the way you want. And that added glitz and glamor makes them a great gifting option too!
Marshmallow Toppers Recipe
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 3 Packets Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 11/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1 Cup Different Color Candy Melts
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- In a bowl, combine gelatin with ½ cup of cold water.
- Take a saucepan and combine the remaining 1/2 cup of cold water, granulated sugar, salt, and corn syrup. Cover the sugar syrup and allow it to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover the mixture and, using a candy thermometer, check the temperature of the liquid. Once the mixture reaches 240 degrees, turn the heat off.
- Now turn on your stand mixer or take the help of an electric mixer, and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the gelatin. Increase the speed to high and continue whipping until it becomes thick. Add the vanilla extract or vanilla bean. This will take you about 12-15 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and cornstarch together.
- Coat a 13 by a 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then add the cornstarch mixture and coat the sides and bottom of the pan nicely.
- Now pour the prepared marshmallow mixture into the pan using a lightly oiled spatula to spread it evenly in the pan.
- Dust the top with the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Allow the marshmallow to sit uncovered for 4 hours or overnight.
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut the marshmallows into circles and transfer them to a tray lined with parchment.
- Your marshmallows are ready. Now comes the fun part. All you have to do is decorate them using piping bags filled with colored chocolates.
- You can decorate the marshmallow toppers by making eyes and a smile, or you can give them a snowman makeover by making a scarf. The possibilities are many, so bring out your best creativity.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
What is a marshmallow made of?
A typical marshmallow contains sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, and flavoring.
Are marshmallows vegan?
No, most marshmallows contain gelatin, which gives them that ooey-gooey consistency.
How long do marshmallows last?
Marshmallows can last for 6 to 8 months.
I hope you have enjoyed going through the marshmallow topper recipe thoroughly. Now, take all the ingredients and show off your cooking skills by following the recipe above. Feel free to ask me any questions or add suggestions.