Holidays are the best days when you can enjoy lavish and delectable meals. However, while the food has all the attention, holiday gatherings also require some great-tasting drinks. Therefore, you should try out the maple bourbon smash recipe to complete your feast with a boozy kick.
Smashes are cocktails made with a liquor base and mixed with fresh seasonal fruits that are smashed together over ice. To make a smashing cocktail, the general rule of thumb followed is to always use crushed ice.
A maple bourbon smash holds the richness of bourbon, the sweetness of maple syrup, and the citrus notes of lemon and oranges. A few splashes of Angostura bitters add an herbaceous twist to this drink. Moreover, you can also customize this drink by adding two tablespoons of torn sage or thyme leaves for a great taste.
The maple bourbon smash recipe shared below makes one drink. You can multiply the recipe according to your gathering size. When making this cocktail for a holiday gathering, don’t hesitate to use the best bourbon. This drink is best served chilled.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- cranberry spice cocktail
- Buttermilk Spoon Bread
- Scalloped Oysters
- Baked Brie with Pecans
- roasted parsnips and carrots
- sweet potato rolls
- pear pie
- pecan cheesecake pie
- smoked turkey breast
- cornbread dressing with sausage and fennel
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Maple Bourbon Smash?
- Cocktail Shaker – You will need a cocktail shaker to make maple bourbon smash.
- Glass – You will need a rock glass to serve maple bourbon smash.
- Wood Muddler – A wood muddler will be required to muddle the ingredients.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Maple Bourbon Smash?
|Preparation Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Maple Bourbon Smash?
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup has a warm and sweet flavor. To make maple bourbon smash, we will need half an ounce of pure maple syrup, preferably grade A dark amber.
- Orange Juice – Orange juice needs no introduction. It has a tangy and citrus flavor. To make this drink, we will need half an ounce of fresh orange juice.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice has a citric and tart flavor. We will use one-fourth ounce of fresh lemon juice.
- Angostura Bitters – Angostura bitters are the most popular type of cocktail bitters used for flavoring beverages. It is made with herbs and spices that are spicy and bitter. In this recipe, we will need four dashes of Angostura bitters.
- Orange Wheel – An orange wheel is the mid-section sliced from an orange fruit. We will need a half-orange wheel.
- Bourbon – Bourbon has a sweet and smoother taste than whiskey, with notes of caramel and vanilla. To make the smash, you will need 2 ounces of bourbon.
- Ice – Ice is the most integral part of any cocktail. You will need 2-3 pieces of crushed ice.
- Seltzer – Seltzer tastes like fruity sparkling water with a slight alcohol boost. You will need one and a half ounces of chilled seltzer.
Steps To Make Maple Bourbon Smash
Take a cocktail shaker and muddle bourbon, sage, maple syrup, lemon juice, and remaining lemon slices to release their flavors. Fill the shaker with ice cubes. Cover with lid, and shake vigorously until thoroughly chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a highball glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lemon slice.
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.01 grams|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.01 grams|
|Vitamin C||10 milligrams|
What Will Maple Bourbon Smash Look And Taste Like?
Maple bourbon smash has a smoky sweet taste of maple syrup that pairs perfectly with oaky bourbon in this delicious cocktail. To balance out the flavors juice of orange and lemon makes this a refreshing drink.
Maple Bourbon Smash Recipe
- ½ ounce Pure Maple Syrup, Preferably Grade A Dark Amber
- ½ ounce Fresh Orange Juice
- ¼ ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- ½ Orange Wheel
- 2 ounce Bourbon
- 1½ ounce Chilled Seltzer
- Take a cocktail shaker and muddle bourbon, sage, maple syrup, lemon juice, and remaining lemon slices to release their flavors. Fill the shaker with ice cubes.
- Cover with lid, and shake vigorously until thoroughly chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lemon slice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the ingredients in a Maple Bourbon Smash?
To make maple bourbon smash, you need maple syrup, orange juice, lemon juice, bourbon, Angostura bitters, chilled seltzer, and crushed ice.
What’s the best bourbon to use in a Maple Bourbon Smash?
You can use any high-quality bourbon to make this cocktail. We prefer using Four Roses.
What type of glass is best for the Maple Bourbon Smash?
A lowball glass or rock glass is the best glass to serve maple bourbon smash.
Is maple syrup good with bourbon?
Maple syrup is delicious and versatile in cocktails. It has dark sugar notes, which make it a perfect match to bourbon in cocktails.
What kind of juice goes well with bourbon?
Most whiskeys pair well with orange juice as it has a lower acidity level.
Try out this delicious and refreshing maple bourbon smash recipe to impress your guests this holiday season. To find out more such recipes, head to our recipe section.