Malvani Fish Curry is one of the most exquisite dishes from the Malvani Cuisine owing it to the richness of coconut milk and ground malvani spices which make it mesmerizing.
Originated from the western coastal region of India, Malvani fish curry is a global favourite primarily because of the fiery and delectable taste it can offer. The first time I dined at a Goan restaurant is when I fell in love with it to the extent that I was forced to reach out to the chef to inquire about the recipe. After all of this effort, I was finally able to enjoy Malvani Fish Curry at home.
To make the malvani fish curry, start with grinding the malvani masala and then head on to make the fish curry. Saute mustard seeds, onions, chopped ginger, chopped tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric, add malvani masala and 1/2 cup of tamarind water. Let it simmer for a while and add coconut milk along with fish. Cook until fish is cooked and serve piping hot.
The above mentioned is a brief description of the recipe. Further, you can acquire all the extensive details to make sure that you can get it right in the first go. Make your lazy afternoons interesting with the recipe of malvani fish curry. Read on to learn about the ingredients you need to gather in order to make the malvani fish curry.
Ingredients for Malvani Fish Curry For Fish Curry
For Fish Curry
- 1 Inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tomato (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Tamarind Water
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 Kingfish(cut into flat fillet)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Lemon juice
- Salt (to taste)
For Malvani Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1-Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Star Anise
Now that you are aware of the ingredients, let me familiarize you with the total time you need to spare so that you can cook this delicious dish.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Malvani Fish Curry?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||30 minutes||40 minutes|
This recipe can be easily cooked within an hour making it ideal for days when you wish to amp up your meals with little effort. Jump on to enquire the steps for making malvani fish curry.
Steps To Make Malvani Fish Curry
The recipe for malvani fish curry can get somewhat complicated considering the number of components involved. However, if you streamline the process of cooking in three stages, it will a lot easier for you to go ahead with it. Go through these meticulous steps to make sure you do it right.
Steps To Make Malvani Masala
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel, cloves, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, star anise and black peppercorns for about a time period of 5 minutes in a pre-heated saucepan.
- Once you have roasted all the components, grind them well with dry red chillies, nutmeg until you get a smooth powder.
To Make The Fish Curry
- Heat up some mustard oil in a wok and add mustard seeds until you hear a crackling sound, followed by the curry leaves.
- When the curry leaves start to crackle add chopped ginger, garlic and onions. Make sure to saute the onions until they turn golden brown.
- After this, you can add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt to taste until tomatoes turn mushy.
- After cooking it for 5 minutes, add the freshly ground Malvani masala and saute it. To this mixture, add 1/2 cup of tamarind water.
- Let this mixture cook, add coconut milk and bring it to a boil on a simmered flame. Add marinated fish pieces one after the other into the boiling curry along with the marinated masala.
- Add water to achieve the desired consistency, give it a light stir, cover the wok with a lid and let it cook for 10 minutes until it is cooked thoroughly.
Serve the luscious malvani fish curry with steamed rice and picked onions to accentuate the taste of this recipe to the next level.
Nutritional Breakdown of Malvani Fish Curry
Take a look at the nutritional value of the recipe of Malvani Fish Curry.
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
How To Make Malvani Fish Curry At Home | Video
Here, I have added a recipe video to make sure that you are left with no doubts to make the dish.
Give this recipe a try and let me know how well it works for you in the comment section below. Other than this, please let me know what other recipes that you want me to post on the platform for you. Keep sharing your insights. Happy Cooking!