For me, cooking has always been a stress reliever and a source of joy. Mexican lentejas is one of the dishes I love preparing. Today, I will share the recipe of lentejas with you.
Another name of this recipe is lentil soup. Lentil is an edible legume. It is known for its lens-shaped seeds. It grows in pods and has two seeds in every pod. Its main producers are India and Canada. They produce 58% of total lentils for the world.
To make lentejas, add lentils, white onion, garlic, and water to a large pot. Bring it to a boil and cook for some time. Take out the lentils and season them with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a pan. Cook the lardons, onions, garlic, and spice in it. Also, add pineapple, plantain, and tomatoes to it. Cook it until it becomes thick and then, serve it.
This was just a brief overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Zesty Steak Chili– A tender steak chili tastes the best with the perfect blend of flavors. The best steak for making chili is chuck steak. It goes great with the different spices of the chili.
2. Honey Walnut Shrimp– Honey walnut shrimp originated from Hong Kong. It is a recipe for Chinese cuisine and is very famous. But now, Americans also love this delicacy. I learned this recipe from my friend. He went to Shanghai for his work and came home with the recipe.
3. Spaghetti Frutti Di– If you are health-conscious then, the spaghetti Frutti di mare recipe is just the one for you. It has a different variety of seafood that is rich in Vitamins A, B, and D. It also has lemon juice that serves your dose of vitamin C.
4. Malvani Fish Curry– Malvani fish curry is one of the most exquisite dishes from Malvani cuisine. It is filled with the richness of coconut milk and ground Malvani spices which make it mesmerizing.
- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup dried Green Lentils
- 1 White Onion (half chopped, half sliced)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 4 slices Bacon
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Plantain (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon Allspice
- 2 Plum Tomatoes (chopped)
- 10 ounces Pineapple (chopped)
- ½ Jalapeno Pepper
- 1 bunch Cilantro Stems
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- In a large pot, add water, lentils, half of the garlic, and sliced white onions.
- Cover it with a lid and let it simmer for 20- 22 minutes until the lentils become soft.
- Now, take out the lentils and the garlic from the pot and keep the remaining liquid aside.
- Season the lentils with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan. Toss in the bacon lardons and cook them for about 5- 6 minutes until they become soft.
- Add the chopped white onions to it and cook it for about 5- 6 minutes more.
- Then, add in the garlic and allspice and cook it for a minute.
- Also, add pineapple, plantain, and tomatoes to it.
- Cook it for 15- 16 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and the leftover liquid to it. Then, put in cilantro stems, halved jalapeno, and bay leaf. Cook it until it becomes thick.
- When the soup is cooked, take out the cilantro stems, jalapeno, and bay leaf from it.
- Now, garnish with cilantro leaves and season it as per your taste. Your lentejas or lentil soup is ready to serve.