For me, cooking has always been a stress reliever as it gives me joy and Mexican lentejas is one of the dishes I love preparing. So today, I will be giving the recipe for it to you all too.
Another name of this recipe lentil soup. Let’s get to know about its main ingredient- lentil, which is an edible legume, if we are talking about the dish. It is known for its lens-shaped seeds. It grows in pods and has two seeds in every pod. Its main producers are India and Canada that produce 58% of total lentils for the world.
To make lentejas, you will have to cook garlic and onions in water. Separate the lentils from the liquid and season the lentils. Take another container and heat the oil in it. Cook the lardons, onions, garlic and spices. Add leftover ingredients and then season serve it when cooked properly.
But what are the ingredients requirements? How much nutrition does this recipe provide you? You all must have all such questions and you will find all the answers to your questions going ahead in the article, so stay connected.
Ingredients For Lentejas
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 white onion half chopped, half sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sliced plantain
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 chopped plum tomatoes
- 10 ounces chopped pineapple
- ½ jalapeno pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro stems
- Salt and pepper- by taste
- 1 bay leaf
Get stocked up with all these ingredients from your nearby supermarkets and check out the time lentil soup will take to be prepared.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Lentejas?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||1 hour 10 minutes||1 hour 30 minutes|
Making this soup at home is very simple. But due to the involvement of a lot of steps, it takes a little longer to prepare it. Now let’s check how it gets prepared in detail.
Steps To Make Lentejas
- For making lentejas, take a big container and add in water, half of the garlic and sliced white onions.
- Now lower down the heat and put a lid on top of the container and let it simmer for 20- 22 minutes until the lentils get soft.
- Now take out the lentils and keep the remaining liquid and remove the garlic from it.
- Take the pepper and salt seasoning and season the lentils.
- Take another container and heat the oil on medium flame.
- Then toss in the bacon lardons and cook them till they get soft for almost 5- 6 minutes.
- You need to add in the leftover white onion and cook it for more 5- 6 minutes.
- And then add in the left garlic and allspice and cook it for a minute.
- Now you will need to add in pineapple, plantain and tomatoes.
- Cook it for 15- 16 minutes and add in the cooked lentils and the leftover liquid and cilantro stems, halved jalapeno, bay leaf and keep cooking it over medium flame till it gets thick.
- Now you need to remove the cilantro stems, jalapeno and bay leaf.
- Now stir the cilantro leaves and adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
You are surely going to love this recipe. This soup can be a great recipe for winters.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Lentejas
Since this recipe has a lot of veggies, so let’s have a look at the proper nutritional breakdown of soup.
How To Make Lentejas At Home | Video
For the ease of you all, I’ve added a recipe video below. After watching this video, it’ll be easy for you to try this recipe at your home.
Do try this amazing stew recipe and let me know your views about the recipe in the comment section below. Your suggestions are welcomed. Have a nice day!