What was your favorite candy as a kid? Well, mine was the lemon drop candy. I loved them so much that I used to have them almost every day. I still remember how I used to cry over those candies and my mom used to buy them for me. Such memories are very special for anyone.
Well, you might be wondering why I am sharing my old childhood memories with you guys. The reason is that we are going to make those candies today. Today we will recall those old childhood memories and will enjoy the taste of those Lemon drop candies at home.
But before going to the recipe, let’s know a little history about these Lemon Drop Candies.
These Candies were originated in England when candy makers observed that they can prevent their sugar from crystallization if they add an acid (lemon juice) to the sugar mixture. The first version of these candies was created in 1806 and was known as The Salem Gibraltar.
These candies are very easy to make and take almost no time to get prepared. So, let’s start by the first step of this recipe and that is the ingredients. Here is the list of ingredients that you will need to make these candies at home.
Ingredients For Lemon Drop Candy
|Sugar||2 ¼ cups|
|Yellow Food Colour||3 drops|
|Icing Sugar||To dust|
These ingredients are easily available in any supermarket and if you want to add the food color, it is totally up to you. That food colour is optional. The ingredients are healthy and don’t cause any health-related problems.
These candies take few minutes of yours to get prepared. We will make this recipe in just half an hour without any excessive hard work. Here is the time frame in the table below.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|5 minutes||30 minutes||35 minutes|
This recipe is the easiest one and I am pretty sure that your kids will be happy after seeing those Lemon drop candies on the kitchen shelf. Now let’s jump to the main part of the recipe which I am very excited for. Let’s cook.
Lemon Drop Candy Recipe
- Take a lemon and grate it with the help of a fine grater.
- Take a saucepan and add measured water and sugar into it and keep it over a low flame.
- Keep stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves.
- Now add lemon zest to this mixture and allow it to boil, you can use a candy thermometer as well to track the temp and it must show around 250 degrees F.
- Now take the pan off the heat and add lemon juice and honey into it. You can food coloring if you want (it’s optional).
- Again allow this mixture to boil and after it boils, remove the lemon rind and pour this mixture on a greased baking tray.
- Let it cool on its own until it is cool enough to touch and then by using a spoon or your hand take out the pieces of candy and roll them into a ball and dust with icing sugar.
And with all the efforts and time you invested, your Lemon Drop Candies are ready. Call your kids and add to their joy by giving them these homemade Lemon Drop candies.
Nutritional Facts of Lemon Drop Candy
These candies, as I told you earlier are really healthy and don’t contain any preservatives or illness causing agents. It is good for you and your whole family. But still, I have provided these nutritional details in the box below.
How To Make Lemon Drop Candy at Home | Video
This recipe is simple but if you find any difficulty in making this, you can just watch the video which I am leaving behind.
I hope you’ve liked this Lemon Drop Candy recipe and we will be looking forward to hearing from your side. Do check out our website for more such recipes. Hope you will like them as well. Do tell us your views and thoughts in the comments box below. Till then take care and keep cooking.