Lauki kofta is an Indian vegetarian recipe made with bottle gourd kofta balls in a spicy tomato-based gravy. The bottle gourd kofta balls are made by mixing grated bottle gourd with binding agents and spices. The gravy is a medley of onions, tomatoes, and aromatic spices. The kofta balls are served in the gravy.
Bottle gourd, known as Lauki in India, is hands-down one of the most cooked and most hated vegetables in an Indian household. The reason for that is not the taste of the vegetable but the frequency of finding it on your dining table. Thus, Lauki kofta is a great way to make this abhorred vegetable into a delightful dish.
To make Lauki kofta, mix a grated bottle gourd with gram flour and spices to make a dough. Make small balls from the dough and fry them. Then, heat oil in a pan and cook onions and cumin seeds in it. To the pan, add ginger, garlic, chilies, spices, and tomatoes. Cook everything until thick and garnish with cilantro. Place the kofta balls on a plate, pour the gravy over them, and serve.
Let’s journey to this molten lava of spices making our food even more delightful. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Shahi Kaju Aloo with Cream– This Mughalai Shahi Kaju Aloo Ki Sabzi is a rich creamy curry prepared with cashews, milk, and curd. The curry is a must-have on the dinner feast as it not only shows grandeur but is also flavourful.
2. Carne Asada– Marinated flank or skirt steak is grilled to perfection for the best Authentic Carne Asada recipe. This tender, grilled meat is full of authentic Mexican flavor.
3. Goulash– Stewing meat and vegetables with seasonings and other spices, homemade Goulash is one of the best dishes ever. Tracing the origins back to Hungary, it is commonly eaten in many parts of Europe. A pure delight!
4. Dahi Gosht– Dahi Ghost (also known as Curd Lamb Curry) is a thick, creamy meat curry that is most popular in the northern part of India. Dahi Ghost is popular for its deliciousness and spicy taste.
Ingredients required for Lauki Kofta Recipe
|Gram Flour||4 tbsp|
|Green Chili||2 tsp|
|Ginger (minced)||1½ tsp|
|Garlic (minced)||1½ tsp|
|Dry Cilantro Leaves||1 tsp|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||¾ tsp|
|Bottle Gourd (grated)||2 cup|
|Sunflower Oil||2 tbsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1 tbsp|
|Cumin Powder||½ tsp|
|Garam Masala||¼ tsp|
|Cilantro Leaves||Enough to garnish or 2 tsp|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||30 Minutes||1 Hour|
Lauki Kofta Recipe
To Make Kofta
- In a bowl, add 4 tbsp gram flour, 1 tsp green chilli, 1 tsp ginger, ½ tsp garlic, and 1 tsp dry coriander leaves.
- Now, add 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, grated bottle gourd and some water.
- Mix it all to make a dough. Then, make small balls from it.
- Now, in a pre-heated pan, heat a tablespoon of sunflower oil and place the kofta balls in it.
- Cook the balls from both sides and then, place them on a plate.
To Make Gravy
- In a preheated pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil and let it heat.
- Now, add cumin seeds to it and roast them.
- Add chopped onions to it and cook them.
- Now, add 1 tsp garlic, ½ tsp ginger, 1 tsp green chilli, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp cumin seed powder, and ¼ tsp garam masala. Mix it well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook them on a medium flame. Also, add ½ cup water to it and cook the gravy until thick. Garnish the gravy with cilantro leaves
- Place the kofta balls in a serving tray and pour the grave on it. Serve hot.
Nutritional Facts Of Lauki Kofta Recipe