If you have seen any Indian movie that has a Gujrati character, then you’d know about the stereotype of Gujrati people and their exaggerated love for dhokla. Khaman and dhokla are 2 different dishes from Gujrati cuisine. But khaman is lighter than the dhokla. It only takes half an hour to make khaman dhokla.
Traditionally, dhokla is made from fermented rice and chickpea or gram flour. But this is where khaman dhokla stands out. Khaman is only made with gram flour and spices. Khaman is lighter than the dhokla and is widely loved for its light taste and spongy texture. These are also healthy as they are steam cooked so you can enjoy these as much you like.
To make khaman dhokla, mix gram flour, sugar, salt, turmeric powder, citric acid, and water in a bowl. Mix baking soda with water and pour it into the mixture. Grease a steaming tin with oil and pour this mixture into it. Steam it for about 15-20 minutes. Then, heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves, mustard seeds, and dry red chilies in it. Pour this over the khaman dhokla and serve it.
This is not everything about the recipe. Find everything you need for the recipe down below. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
1. Aloo Tikki– An Aloo Tikki recipe that is crispy, crusty and so good. In the Hindi language, aloo is potato and Tikki is patty. So, these are potato patties made the Indian way – spiced, herby, and delicious.
2. Microwave Popcorn– Popcorn, quite famous with everyone especially movie-goers, is notorious for being exorbitantly costly. Yet, a movie is incomplete without having popcorn in your hands. If you can have homemade microwave popcorn, what would you do?
3. Maggi Pizza without Egg– Another combination that is repelling yet going to give the best outcome to the creator of the recipe. Rather on a gloomy day, it can be the perfect lighting for the kids and their mom.
4. Mutton Shami Kabab– Mutton Shami Kabab is a delightful starter with a soft texture and absolute spices to take your taste buds to a different level. It is taken up as the best street food mainly eaten in southern India.
Khaman Dhokla Recipe
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ tablespoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- 7-8 Curry Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Salt (as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Water (enough for making batter)
- 1 tablespoon Citric Acid
- In a bowl, mix gram flour, citric acid, salt, sugar, and turmeric. Add water to it and mix it to make a smooth batter with medium-thick consistency.
- In a glass, add the baking powder. Add water to it and pour this into the dhokla mixture.
- Grease the steaming tin with 2 drops of oil and pour the mixture into it. Steam it for about 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and red chilies. Let it splutter.
- Pour the tadka over the prepared dhokla.
- Cut into pieces and serve hot.