The Indian cuisine is much more than chicken tikka masala and tandoori chicken. It is filled with gem recipes that are absolutely delicious. One such gem is the Kadai chicken recipe. It is a chicken made with onions, bell peppers, tomato puree, chilies, and roasted spices.
The roasted spice mix or as we call it, Kadai masala, is the MC of this recipe. The roasted spices add an unbelievable aroma to the chicken and make it about 10 times more flavorful. The key here is to use whole spices, roasting them on the spot, and then grinding them to a fine powder. You don’t have to be an expert comic to roast the spices, a pan will do.
To make Kadai chicken, dry roast and grind the spices for the Kadai masala. Then, heat some oil in a pan and cook onions in it. After that, add ginger-garlic paste, Kadai masala, green chilies, and water to it and bring to a boil. Then, add tomato puree, chicken, cashew paste, and salt to it. Cook it with a lid on and then add onions and bell peppers to it. Lastly, garnish it with fenugreek.
This is just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Shahi Kaju Aloo with Cream– This Mughalai Shahi Kaju Aloo Ki Sabzi is a rich creamy curry prepared with cashews, milk, and curd. The curry is a must-have on the dinner feast as it not only shows grandeur but is also flavourful.
2. Zuni Chicken– The secret behind the taste of Zuni Chicken is salting the bird at least a day in advance. It will help in improving flavor, keeping it moist, and make it tender.
3. Chicken Milano– A delicious Italian cuisine, Chicken Milano is quite easy to make. It takes only half an hour to make this pasta. It is an absolute delight to have Chicken Milano served on your plates.
4. Yucatan Potato Salad– This is not your regular potato salad. Potatoes are combined with roasted peppers, olives, onion, and sweet pickles in a lime dressing. Try this when you want to be a little different.
Kadai Chicken Recipe
- 500 g Chicken
- 3 medium Tomatoes
- 3 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chillies (chopped)
- 2 each Onions and Green Bell Peppers (cut into thick pieces)
- 2 teaspoons Cashew Paste
- 2 teasppoons Salt
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons Fenugreek
For Kadai Masala
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 10-12 Black Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Red Chilies
- In a preheated pan, add coriander seeds, black peppercorns, cumin, bay leaf, and red chilies. Dry roast the spices until fragrant.
- After that, let the spices cool down. Then, grind them to a fine powder and transfer to a bowl.
- Make a puree of the tomatoes using a blender and place them in a different bowl.
- Now, take a preheated pan to add 3 tbsp oil and let it heat.
- Add chopped onions to it and cook them.
- Then, add ginger garlic paste, half a cup water, green chillies, and above ground spice mixture.
- Bring it to a boil and then, add the tomato puree and chicken in the mixture.
- Add some salt to season the chicken.
- Now, add cashew nut paste and the remaining half cup of water to it.
- Cover it with a lid and cook it on a medium flame for about 25 minutes until chicken is cooked and the gravy becomes smooth.
- Add onion and green bell peppers in the mixture and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and garnish the chicken with fenugreek (locally known as kasuri methi).
- Serve hot with roti and rice.