The great thing about Julia Child’s French onion soup is that it’s simple to make when you follow the recipe. It’s filling, hearty, and super tasty. You can use any toppings you like: cheese, or croutons.
Making this soup starts with caramelizing onions. Once that is done, add beef stock, brandy, sugar, all-purpose flour, salt, and seasonings.
Top with toasted bread and grated cheese. Broil in the oven for thirty minutes. Yey! Delicious soup is ready.
The base flavor of the soup lies in the beef stock. Use good-tasting beef stock for this recipe.
Moreover, the onions are the spotlight of the soup. Make sure you caramelize them properly to use them in the soup.
What could be better than eating this classic French soup? So, start making this soup and soothe your soul.
Recipe instructions are right here along with nutritional information. You can also check out some other Julia Child’s recipes.
Other Julia Child’s Recipes That You Can Try
- Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake
- Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse
- Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba
- Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushrooms
- Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle
- Julia Child’s Tuna Sandwich
- Julia Child’s Potato Salad
- Julia Child’s Bruschetta
- Julia Child’s Hollandaise Sauce
- Julia Child’s Turkey
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s French Onion Soup?
- Dutch Oven – Caramelize onion in the Dutch oven.
- Ovenproof Bowls – Add onion soup to the ovenproof bowls.
- Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and broil the soup.
- Cheese Grater – Use a cheese grater to grate gruyere cheese on the top.
- Ladle – We’ll use a ladle to transfer the soup to ovenproof bowls.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s French Onion Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s French Onion Soup?
- Onions – We’ll use yellow onions for this traditional recipe. You can use red or white too.
- Oil – Use olive oil to enhance the richness of the soup.
- Butter – Use salted butter to caramelize the onion.
- Brandy – Pour spoonfuls of brandy for an intensely flavored French soup.
- Beef Stock – Beef stock is the base flavor of the soup. Classic French onion soup uses beef stock.
- All-Purpose Flour – Flour is used to thicken the soup, so it’s a must in primary ingredients.
- Sugar – While making the soup, add sugar to balance the broth taste.
- French Bread – We’ll add toasted French bread on top of the soup.
- Gruyere Cheese – Top up your soup with classic gruyere cheese. This will give a melty top.
- Salt – Use a pinch of salt as per your taste.
- Black Pepper – Sprinkle a dash of black pepper for mild spicy soup.
Steps To Make Julia Child’s French Onion Soup
1. Caramelize Onion
For the caramelized onion, we’ll take a heavy Dutch oven. Firstly, add oil and butter to the oven. Then add sliced onion. Cook onions for fifteen minutes with the lid on.
Keep stirring in between if necessary. Remove the lid now, and increase the flame to medium. Add sugar, salt, and mix well.
Cook for forty minutes, until onions are deep brown in color.
2. Add Beef Stock
It’s time to add all-purpose flour now. This will thicken the soup and give it a nice texture.
Mix well and cook for five minutes. Lower the heat, and add beef stock to the oven.
Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for an additional thirty minutes.
3. Preheat The Oven
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. When the soup is cooked well, stir in brandy and mix well for the intense flavors.
Remove the dutch oven from the stove. Transfer the soup to ovenproof bowls using a ladle. Top the soup with toasted bread and grated gruyere cheese for a rich taste.
Transfer the bowls to a baking tray and put them in the center of the oven. Tap on broil preset and broil for thirty minutes.
Cook until brown cheese. Remove from oven and serve. French soup is ready.
How Will Julia Child’s French Onion Soup Look And Taste Like?
Julia Child’s French onion soup guarantees a rich flavorful experience. The savory and cheesy flavors will tickle your taste buds.
The caramelized onions swimming in the soup give a crunchy texture. While the melting cheese on the top feels creamy.
It’s a delightful soup with flavor and texture combinations. The soup consistency is thick and looks dark brown with yellow-white melted cheese on the top.
Julia Child’s French Onion Soup Recipe
- 5 cups Onions
- 4 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Brandy
- 6 cups Beef Stock
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 8 slices French Bread
- 4 oz Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat oil and butter in the dutch oven. Add onions and cook with the lid on for fifteen minutes.
- Then add sugar and salt and mix well. Cook for another forty minutes until deeply browned onions.
- Add all-purpose flour, beef stock and season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Top the soup with toasted bread and cheese.
- Transfer the soup to bowls and put them in the oven.
- Broil for thirty minutes.
- Once the cheese is browned, serve French soup.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can French onion soup be made the day before?
Yes! You can make french onion soup in one day advance. Follow the instructions for making the soup. But don’t add toasted bread or cheese on top in advance.
What are the good side dishes to serve with French onion soup?
You can serve grilled cheese sandwiches, baked stuffed potatoes, potato and green bean salad, fried paneer, and also roasted vegetables.
What kind of cheese do they put on onion soup?
Gruyere cheese is a traditional choice for adding to French onion soup. It’s rich and top-class cheese.
What is French onion soup broth made of?
French onion soup broth is made of onions, beef, stock, brandy, and seasonings.
What type of onion is best for French onion soup?
You can use yellow onions for French onion soup. Cut them into thin slices and brown them until caramelized for this recipe.
French onion soup is one of the most classic and comforting dishes. It’s simple yet takes a lot of work to get done. If you’re looking for a great recipe for this delicious soup, look no further than this!