Julia Child’s chocolate mousse recipe is one of the most decadent dessert recipes. It’s a simple yet elegant dessert.
It’s a rich, smooth, silky, and delicious chocolate dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. Grab your equipment and whip up the delicious chocolate mousse.,
We’ll start with first beating egg yolks with sugar and orange liqueur. Beat the mixture in a double boiler and then in cold water.
Melt the chocolate and flavor with orange peel and cream with butter. Stir in additional beaten egg whites.
Refrigerate the mousse for two hours. In the middle of the night, take your dessert cups out of the fridge and enjoy.
You may have encountered many chocolate mousse recipes, but Julia Child’s is unique. She uses orange liqueur to flavor her mousse.
Moreover, she also adds coffee flavor to the mousse to make it even darker and tastier. What a masterpiece!
Do you want to try this lovely decadent dessert? If yes, follow the recipe steps, and note down the ingredients and equipment. You can also check out some other Julia Child’s recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Julia Child’s Recipes That You Can Try
- Julia Child’s French Onion Soup
- Julia Child’s Potato Leek Soup
- Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon Le Creuset
- Julia Child’s Coq Au Vin
- Julia Child’s Ratatouille
- Julia Child’s Beef Stroganoff
- Julia Child’s Clafoutis
- Julia Child’s Turkey
- Julia Child’s Hollandaise Sauce
- Julia Child’s Bruschetta
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse?
- Bowl – Gather all the ingredients in the bowl to make the mousse.
- Electric Mixer – Beat eggs, sugar, salt, and chocolate using an electric mixer.
- Spatula – Use a rubber spatula to combine ingredients.
- Pot – Fill the pot with water and beat the egg mixture on a double boiler.
- Microwave – Melt the chocolate in the microwave for the chocolate mousse.
- Dessert Cups – Serve delicious chocolate mousse in the dessert cups.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Rest Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||10 Minutes||2 Hours||2 Hours 25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse?
- Chocolate – For this recipe, we’ll use semisweet baking chocolate.
- Egg Yolks – Take four egg yolks for a creamy mousse.
- Liqueur – Flavor the mousse with orange liqueur.
- Butter – Add unsalted butter to the melted chocolate to make a smooth mousse.
- Whip Cream – Top the chocolate mousse with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Egg Whites – Add additional egg whites to make an airy and light mousse.
- Coffee – Chocolate and coffee go hand in hand. Add a strong coffee kick to the mousse.
- Orange Peel – It’s great to put orange peel in mousse for additional flavor.
- Sugar – Sweeten the mousse by adding granulated sugar.
- Salt – Add a pinch of salt to balance the taste of the chocolate mousse.
Steps To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse
1. Beat Eggs
In a bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together using an electric mixer. Beat until the mixture becomes thick and pale yellow. Now stir in orange liqueur and beat again for two to three minutes.
2. Heat The Stove
In the small pot, stir in the water and simmer for two minutes, but do not boil. Put your egg mixture bowl on top of the pot and beat it for five minutes until it’s foamy.
Put ice water in a large bowl and set aside. Take off the bowl from the stove.
Within the bowl of ice water, place the bowl of whipped egg yolks and beat until thick and cool. You will get the consistency of mayonnaise.
3. Melt Chocolate
Melt chocolate with coffee in a microwave. Once melted, stir in butter and beat well for a smooth cream. Now transfer the chocolate into the egg yolk mixture. Beat in orange peel at this time.
4. Beat Egg Whites
Beat egg whites and salt in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Stir in sugar and beat well. Stir one-fourth of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
Then gradually add the remaining egg white mixture.
Transfer the mousse to the dessert cups. Refrigerate for two hours or overnight. At the time of serving, top with whipped cream and enjoy.
How Will Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse Look And Taste Like?
Julia Child’s chocolate mousse is a rich, smooth, and creamy dessert. It is flavored with orange liqueur and fresh orange peels.
Moreover, the coffee with chocolate adds a bittersweet flavor to the mousse. All in all, the recipe features dark and chocolatey mousse with decadent ingredients.
Julia Child’s Chooclate Mousse Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Dessert Cups
- 6 oz Chocolate
- 4 Egg Yolks
- ¼ cup Liqueur
- 1½ cup Butter
- 2 cups Whip Cream
- 4 Egg Whites
- 4 tablespoons Coffee
- ¼ cup Orange Peel
- ¾ cup Sugar
- Salt (a pinch)
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar in the bowl. Stir in orange liqueur.
- Take a pot filled with water and simmer it on low heat. Place a bowl of egg mixture on top and beat for five minutes until foamy.
- Take a separate bowl filled with ice water. Place the egg mixture bowl into the ice water and beat.
- In a microwave, melt the chocolate with coffee. Stir in butter and mix well.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture.
- Stir in orange peel.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Stir in sugar and beat well.
- Mix the egg white mixture with the chocolate egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the dessert cups.
- Refrigerate for two hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is chocolate mousse just pudding?
Mousse mixes beaten egg whites or whipped cream with cold milk and sugar. Unlike pudding, mousse is not cooked and has a lighter texture and fluffier consistency.
What is a chocolate mousse made of?
Chocolate mousse is made with chocolate, egg yolks, sugar, eggs, and butter.
How do you thicken mousse?
Whisk some eggs in a separate bowl and fold in the mousse mixture. This will make your mousse thick.
Is mousse served hot or cold?
Chocolate mousse is always served cold.
Can you keep chocolate mousse overnight?
Yes, you can keep chocolate mousse overnight. Please keep it in the refrigerator for twelve hours.
Chocolate mousse may look like a super fancy dessert, but it’s easy to prepare at home. Following this recipe, you’ll get pillowy and super fluffy chocolate mousse.
Try this once, and let us know in the comments about your experience.