In my opinion, there are three things that soothe the soul: good wine, good food, and good chocolate. The classic Julia Child’s chocolate cake Reine de saba recipe is a must-have dessert.
We are re-creating this cake recipe today that was shared by Julia Child a long time ago in the 90s.
To make this rich cake, combine butter and sugar together. Stir in egg yolks, almond extract, and melted chocolate for flavor.
In another bowl, combine beaten egg whites with salt. Combine the egg whites with the butter and sugar mixture. Stir in almond flour and cake flour for making the batter.
Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for twenty-five minutes. Reine de saba is ready to enjoy.
Reine de saba is a classic French dessert. For this recipe, use rum for the intense dark flavors. Dark chocolate and rum make a great combination.
Moreover, this cake uses pure dark chocolate. Follow these simple tricks and make the best Reine de saba.
Julia Child’s Reine de saba cake will definitely soothe your soul. Find out recipe steps below. You will also find more information on equipment details. So, let’s get started! Check out other best Julia Child’s recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Julia Child’s Recipes That You Can Try
- Julia Child’s French Onion Soup
- Julia Child’s Potato Leek Soup
- Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon Le Creuset
- Julia Child’s Coq Au Vin
- Julia Child’s Ratatouille
- Julia Child’s Beef Stroganoff
- Julia Child’s Clafoutis
- Julia Child’s Turkey
- Julia Child’s Hollandaise Sauce
- Julia Child’s Bruschetta
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba?
- Bowl – Combine all the baking ingredients in the bowl.
- Microwave – Melt the chocolate for the ganache in a microwave.
- Electric Mixer – Beat egg whites for the extra fluffy cake using an electric mixer.
- Baking Pan – Grease the baking pan with butter.
- Oven – Bake the cake in the oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spatula – Use a spatula to blend the ingredients into each other.
- Pot – Use a pot for a double boiler process.
- Wire Rack – Place the cake on the wire rack to cool down.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba?
- Chocolate – Melt the chocolate over the double boiler for the cake.
- Butter – Fold in unsalted butter to make the cake batter smooth.
- Rum – For the bittersweet chocolate cake, add rum.
- Almond Extract – Add almond extract to the cake to give it a strong, sweet flavor.
- Egg Yolks – Gently fold eggs for the moist cake. Also, they add a nice flavor to the cake.
- Cake Flour – Cake flour is the primary ingredient to make the cake.
- Almond Flour – Add almond flour to the cake batter for intense almond flour.
- Sugar – Sweeten the cake batter with granulated white sugar.
- Almonds – Garnish the cake with sliced almonds on the top.
- Salt – Add a pinch of salt for a balanced taste.
Steps To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba
1. Prepare Cake Batter
At 350 degrees fahrenheit, preheat the oven. Take an eight-inch baking pan and grease it with butter and flour.
In a microwave, melt the chocolate and rum together in a bowl. Keep it aside. Take a large bowl, and combine ⅔ cup of sugar and butter.
Beat well until pale yellow and fluffy. Then add half a teaspoon of salt.
Now add egg yolks one at a time and beat until combined well. Lastly, add almond extract.
In another bowl, beat egg whites. Add a pinch of salt and beat using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add one tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Blend the melted chocolate into the butter and sugar mixture, then stir in the almond flour.
To lighten the batter, stir in one-quarter of the beaten egg whites. Add one-third of the remaining whites and fold gently.
Sift in one-third of the cake flour and ⅓ cup of almond flour. Blend well. You will need to repeat this process until all of the flour and whites have been added.
2. Bake Time
Pour the batter into the butter-greased baking pan. Bake for twenty-five minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and cool the cake on the wire rack for ten minutes.
3. Frost The cake
On a double boiler, melt the chocolate and rum together. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter and blend until smooth.
Frost the cake with a chocolate mixture. garnish with sliced almonds. Chocolate cake Reine de saba is ready.
How Will Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba Look And Taste Like?
Julia Child’s chocolate cake Reine de saba is a moist, fluffy chocolate cake. It is flavored with rum and almonds.
It has a soft texture and an intense dark flavor from the chocolate. This cake has a metallic dark chocolate glaze topped with almonds that add a crunchy element.
Julia Child’s Chocolate Cake Reine De Saba Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Baking Pan
- Wire Rack
- 4 oz Chocolate (Bittersweet)
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Rum
- ¼ teaspoon Almond Extract
- 3 Egg Yolks
- ½ cup Cake Flour
- ⅓ cup Almond Flour
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Almonds (chopped & toaste)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease the baking pan with butter and flour.
- Melt the chocolate and rum in the microwave. Keep it aside.
- Combine sugar and butter in the bowl and cream together.
- Add egg yolks one at a time and beat well.
- Stir in almond extract.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt using an electric mixer.
- Stir in sugar and again beat until stiff peaks form.
- Blend melted chocolate in the butter and sugar mixture along with cake flour and almond flour.
- Now add egg whites. Gently fold everything.
- Pour batter into the baking pan.
- Bake for twenty-five minutes.
- Once baked, cool down the cake.
- For frosting, melt chocolate and rum together in a double boiler.
- Whisk in butter and make it a smooth frosting.
- Cover the cake with the frosting on top and all sides.
- Top with sliced almonds.
- Julia Child’s chocolate cake Reine de saba is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a Reine de Saba cake?
A Reine de Saba cake is a French cake. It’s a rich, decadent chocolate cake made with ground almonds, rum, meringue, and chocolate. It’s topped with a chocolate ganache and can be decorated with almond slices.
Are almond meals and almond flour the same thing?
Both almond meals and almond flour are made from ground almonds. While the almond meal is produced from unpeeled almonds, almond flour is produced from blanched almonds. Almond meal contains almond skin, which makes it different from almond flour in terms of grain size.
Can I substitute almond flour for almond meal?
Yes, almond flour and almond meal can be substituted with each other. Almond flour is fine powder while almond meal is coarse.
How can you make Reine De Saba cake fluffy?
Stir in egg whites for the extra fluffy cake. Also, cream together butter and sugar as it will make the cake light and moist.
Why add rum to the Reine De Saba cake?
Add rum to the cake for additional flavors. It creates the bittersweet taste of the cake. So, you can eat every bite of it.
This chocolate cake is fit for a queen! The Reine de Saba is a rich and decadent cake that is perfect for any special occasion.
The chocolate almond filling and dark chocolate frosting make this cake truly irresistible. If you’re looking for a show-stopping dessert, look no further than the Reine de Saba.