Julia Child’s chocolate almond cake recipe is moist, rich, and flavorful. It’s chocolatey, yet not too sweet. The almonds add a great texture contrast to the cake.
Serve this wonderful cake for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a get-together party or a birthday party. Let’s discover the recipe.
Start with making the cake batter with egg whites, sugar, salt, chocolate, almond extract, rum, and vanilla extract. Bake the cake for half an hour. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze with chocolate, rum, butter, salt, and vanilla.
Once the cake is baked, drizzle ganache over the cake. Top with toasted almonds and the cake is ready. Cherish your lovable moments with this beautiful cake.
For every cake recipe, our readers ask about special tips. So, here are some tips for this recipe. Use egg whites to make your cake fluffy and moist.
Moreover, for flavoring, add rum and almond extract. They will give a strong bittersweet taste that you will enjoy the most.
Ready for a classic old-fashioned cake recipe? Try this one! Check out the article below for the recipe steps and equipment details. You can also check out some other Julia Child’s recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Julia Child’s Recipes That You Can Try
- Julia Child’s French Onion Soup
- Julia Child’s Potato Leek Soup
- Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon Le Creuset
- Julia Child’s Coq Au Vin
- Julia Child’s Ratatouille
- Julia Child’s Beef Stroganoff
- Julia Child’s Clafoutis
- Julia Child’s Turkey
- Julia Child’s Hollandaise Sauce
- Julia Child’s Bruschetta
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake?
- Bowl – Combine all the cake ingredients in the bowl.
- Electric Mixer – Beat egg whites with sugar and salt using an electric mixer.
- Cooking Pan – Toast almonds in the cooking pan.
- Microwave – Melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Oven – Bake the cake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for twenty-five minutes.
- Baking Pan – Grease the baking pan with butter.
- Knife – Use a knife to cut the cake into slices.
- Spoon – For applying the glaze on the cake, drizzle the chocolate ganache with a spoon.
- Spatula – Use a rubber spatula to fold in ingredients for the cake batter.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake?
- Cake Flour – It’s the base ingredient for the cake. Make a cake batter with the cake flour.
- Almonds – Top the cake with toasted almonds for a nutty flavor.
- Semisweet Chocolate – You’ll need 60g of semisweet chocolate to make the ganache for the cake.
- Eggs – Whip up egg whites until soft peaks form for a light cake texture.
- Butter – Cream together butter and sugar for making the cake moist and fluffy.
- Rum – Add rum to your cake for additional flavors. Also, it enhances the taste of the cake.
- Almond Extract – Adding a few drops of almond extract gives a strong sweet flavor to the cake.
- Vanilla Extract – Few drops of vanilla extract bring out the perfect vanilla flavor to the cake.
- Sugar – Sugar brings sweetness to the cake. Choose granulated white sugar or caster sugar.
- Espresso Powder – For a dark and slightly bitter taste, add espresso powder.
- Dark Chocolate – Melt dark chocolate in the microwave for glazing the cake.
- Salt – Use a pinch of salt to balance the taste of the cake.
Steps To Make Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake
1. Begin With Cake
Using a knife, slice almonds, and toast lightly in the pan. At 350 degrees fahrenheit, preheat the oven. Grease the baking pan with butter and place parchment paper.
2. Let’s Prepare The Batter
In a bowl of a stand mixer, whip up the egg whites with salt. Sprinkle sugar and whip again until soft peaks form.
Transfer the egg white mixture to a bowl. Keep it aside.
Combine ⅔ cup of remaining sugar with the egg white mixture along with butter. Beat on the high speed for two minutes using an electric mixer.
Now add melted chocolate to the mixture and combine well.
To a mixing bowl, combine espresso powder, rum, and almond extract. Stir in the chocolate and butter mixture we just prepared.
Beat the mixture well using an electric mixer. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks.
Fold in whipped egg whites using a spatula into the chocolate and butter mixture to lighten the batter.
Then fold in the other third of the egg whites, followed by half of the all-purpose flour. Combine well. The cake batter is ready.
3. Now Baking Time
Pour the batter into the prepared greased baking pan. Spread into even layers and bake the cake for twenty-five minutes.
Make sure all edges of the cake are set. Once baked, remove from the oven and cool down the cake for twenty minutes.
Now run the knife around the edges of the pan, and release the cake on the cooling rack.
4. Ganache Glaze
While the cake cools down, let’s prepare ganache glaze. For that, melt the semisweet chocolate and rum together in the microwave. Allow it to cool.
Now stir in butter and mix well. Then stir in vanilla extract and salt. Allow the glaze to cool down. You will get a thin consistency of the glaze. It will spread well on the cake.
5. Garnish The Cake
It’s time to glaze the cake with delicious ganache. Pour the glaze over the cake and spread it evenly around the cake. Coat the cake well including the sides.
Top the cake with toasted and chopped almonds. Chocolate almond cake is ready to enjoy.
How Will Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake Look And Taste Like?
Julia Child’s chocolate almond cake recipe is delicious and tasty. The cake is covered in dark chocolate ganache. It has a sweet, moist texture and the perfect chocolate fillings.
Moreover, the almond topping gives a nutty flavor to the cake. Try it now, it will be your favorite dessert of the year.
Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Cooking Pan
- Baking Pan
- ½ cup Cake Flour
- 1 cup Almonds (chopped & toasted)
- 2 oz Semisweet Chocolate
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Rum
- ¼ teaspoon Almond Extract
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Espresso Powder
- 5 oz Dark Chocolate
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Toast the almonds and slice them in the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease the baking pan with butter and place parchment paper.
- Whip up egg whites with salt. Stir in sugar and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks.
- Transfer the egg white mixture to a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, combine ⅔ cup of sugar with the egg white mixture we just prepared. Stir in butter and beat on high speed using an electric mixer.
- Add melted chocolate and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, combine espresso powder, rum, and almond extract. Stir the mixture into the chocolate and butter mixture. Combine well.
- Fold in whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Beat well.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and half of the flour into the mixture.
- The cake batter is ready.
- Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for twenty-five minutes. Let the cake cool down.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Combine chocolate and rum and melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Pour the glaze all over the cake.
- Top with toasted chopped almonds.
- The chocolate almond cake is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do chocolate and almonds go together?
Yes, chocolate and almonds go well together and make a great combination. Chocolate is sweet and almonds add a nutty flavor to it.
How do you make a cake moist and fluffy?
The best way to make the chocolate almond cake fluffy and moist is by using egg whites. Julia Child uses egg whites to create a fluffy cake batter which gives a light cake.
Does almond cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, you can refrigerate the chocolate almond cake. In fact, it tastes amazing when it’s cold. Keep it in an air-tight container and it will stay there for upto two to three days.
What flavors pair well with almond cake?
You can choose lemon, orange, or any other citrus flavor for the cake. There are peaches, plums, and nectarines that go well. Talking about berries, top the cake with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
Which ingredient makes cake Fluffy?
Most cakes become fluffy when butter and sugar cream together and fold in well to the cake batter. Butter has the capability of holding air in the creaming process. So, when you bake the cake, the trapped air expands and the cake becomes fluffy.
This chocolate almond cake recipe is the perfect treat for any occasion. The cake is moist and fluffy, with a rich chocolate flavor that comes from using both espresso powder and melted chocolate.
The addition of chopped almonds on top gives the cake a nice crunch. This cake is sure to please everyone, so be prepared to make it again and again!