I have made various chicken recipes with mushrooms, but this Julia Child chicken and mushroom stands out. I’ve made this dish so often that I don’t even look at the recipe anymore. It’s a rich and flavorful dish perfect for a weeknight dinner. This recipe is a guaranteed hit.
This elegant and delicious dish is made with skinless chicken breast baked in butter, mushrooms, and onions. It is then cooked and finished with creamy mushroom sauce. The recipe is simple to follow but requires time and attention to detail. The results are well worth the effort, however.
The chicken is tender and juicy, and the mushroom sauce is rich and flavorful. We recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts to help them cook evenly. Ensure not to overcook the chicken, which will result in tough chicken.
It is a perfect dish for a special occasion and simple enough for a weeknight meal. It is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to impress your guests. So, let’s move on to its making part without further ado. But don’t forget to thoroughly review this guide for the exact flavors and textures.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Julia Child chicken and mushroom recipe. We’ve followed the recipe step-by-step as Julia Child. The result is a creamy, juicy, smokey mushroom chicken decked with flavors and textures.
This chicken and mushroom contains fresh and nutritious ingredients like chicken breasts and mushrooms. Our chef Jasbir has incorporated all the elements into this recipe, resulting in the best dish you have ever had.
Is Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Different From Regular Mushroom Chicken?
This homemade version of Julia Child’s mushroom and chicken differs significantly from the regular chicken recipe. Jamie Oliver hasn’t prepared any roux to thicken the sauce, while in the traditional recipes, roux is generally prepared.
Besides this, Julia Child didn’t dredge chicken in flour mixture, he kept it simple and focused on baking it. At the same time, in regular mushroom chicken, people dredge chicken in a flour mixture and bake it.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken And Mushroom Recipe?
- This chicken dish is made with fresh ingredients and is perfect for those following a gluten-free diet.
- You can customize this dish as per your choice and taste.
- The ingredients used in this recipe can be available easily in your pantry.
Can You Eat Mushrooms And Chicken Together?
Yes, you can eat mushrooms and chicken altogether. They are a popular combination in many cuisines around the world. One of them is Julia Child’s mushrooms and chicken. You should know that they are both excellent protein sources, and you can see how we have prepared them.
Is This Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Vegan And Gluten-Free?
Julia Child’s chicken mushroom is not vegan as it contains heavy cream. But you can make it completely vegan by substituting it with coconut or vegan heavy cream.
Luckily, this Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom is entirely gluten-free, containing no flour or gluten-related ingredients. So, it is a perfect choice for someone looking for something fulfilling and gluten-free.
Equipment Required For Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom
- Oven-Proof Skillet – Cook shallots and mushrooms in the skillet for chicken and mushrooms.
- Oven – Bake the seasoned chicken in the oven for ten to twenty minutes until crispy.
- Spatula – Use a wooden spatula to combine the ingredients for the sauce.
- Plate – Season chicken breasts with the spices on a plate.
- Knife – Chop the veggies and cut the breasts in slits with a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies on a chopping board for fine cutting.
Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Ingredients
- Chicken Breast – We’ve used chicken breasts for this recipe as they add moist flavor and stay moist during cooking.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice will brighten the chicken’s flavors, helping it stay tender.
- Wine – Half a cup of wine makes a flavorful sauce and adds acidity.
- Vegetable Stock – Half a cup of vegetable stock is used to enhance the flavor of the chicken.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream will add richness and creaminess to the mushroom sauce.
- Butter – Saute the veggies in butter until caramelized.
- Mushrooms – Use cremini or white button mushrooms due to their creamy texture for the recipe.
- Onions – Onions will add an aromatic and savory flavor to the sauce.
- Parsley – Parsley is garnished over the recipe to add an element of freshness.
- Salt – Enhance the flavor of spice and chicken by adding a pinch of salt.
- Pepper – Black pepper will bring out the flavors, adding warmth to the recipe.
Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Ingredients Substitutions
- Chicken – You can go ahead with any cooked chicken, such as rotisserie, grilled, or poached chicken. If you use raw chicken, cook it thoroughly before adding it.
- Mushrooms – This recipe is good with any type of mushrooms, such as white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms.
- Butter – We’ve used butter to caramelize onions and mushrooms. But you can try vegetable oil for a vegan option.
- Heavy Cream – We’ve used heavy cream to add richness and creaminess. But I’m sure vegan heavy cream or coconut milk will satisfy you.
- Wine – Swap wine with sherry vinegar instead of white wine.
- Lemon Juice – Lime juice or another citrus juice can be used instead of lemon juice.
- Parsley – Use chives, basil, or cilantro instead of parsley.
What Kind Of Mushrooms Are Best For This Recipe?
You can use any mushrooms for Julia Child’s chicken and mushrooms. Some popular kinds of mushrooms that you can use in this dish include:
- White Mushrooms – White button mushrooms have a mild flavor and slightly firm texture.
- Cremini Mushrooms – These mushrooms have a slightly more robust flavor than white button mushrooms and a slightly chewier texture.
- Portobello Mushrooms – These mushrooms have a rich, earthy flavor and a meaty texture.
- Oyster Mushrooms – Oyster mushrooms have a mild, slightly seafood-like flavor and a tender texture.
- Shiitake Mushrooms – These mushrooms have a savory, umami flavor and a slightly chewy texture.
You can use either a single or a combination of different mushrooms in Julia Child’s chicken and mushrooms.
Do You Need To Cut Mushroom Stems?
Cutting the stem of mushrooms for Julia Child’s chicken and mushrooms depends entirely on you. You should know that the branches of the mushrooms are edible but can be more challenging and more fibrous than the caps. However, you can cut them off if you prefer a more tender dish.
Can You Use Chicken Thighs Instead?
You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in Julia Child’s chicken and mushrooms. Chicken thighs are a more flavorful and juicy cut than chicken breasts, and they can better withstand the longer cooking time required for this dish.
If you use chicken thighs in Julia Child’s chicken and mushrooms, substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in the recipe, then proceed with the same process. Also, slightly adjust the cooking time, as chicken thighs take longer than chicken breasts.
Julia Child’s Chicken & Mushroom Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||30 Minutes||45 Minutes|
Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Recipe Steps
Step 1- Rub the chicken breasts with drops of lemon juice and season it with salt and pepper.
Step 2- Heat the butter in an oven-proof skillet until foaming.
Step 3- Stir in the minced green onion and mushrooms and saute them without browning.
Step 4- Sprinkle it with salt and black pepper.
Step 5- Roll the chicken in the veggies mixture.
Step 6- Cover the skillet with butter paper.
Step 7- Please place it in the oven and cook for a few minutes until the chicken is springy.
Step 8- Take out the skillet from the range, remove the chicken, and pour wine.
Step 9- Add half a cup of vegetable stock to the skillet.
Step 10- Stir in the heavy cream and boil until the cream is thickened.
Step 11- Let it simmer until the sauce is thickened and cooked properly.
Step 12- Serve the sauce over the chicken and garnish it with dried parsley.
Step 13- Your Julia Child’s Chicken and mushroom is ready.
Tips To Make This Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Better
- We recommend using high-quality ingredients for the dish to taste better.
- Make sure to cook the chicken evenly. It should be cooked until moist and juicy.
- Ensure to cook the mushrooms carefully, or else they will become problematic. Cook the mushrooms tender.
- Feel free to experiment with other herbs and spices. You can use thyme, rosemary, sage, or garlic powder.
- Marinating the chicken with herbs, spices, and oil before cooking adds extra flavor.
- Add a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream to make the sauce richer and creamier.
- If you want the sauce thicker, add a cornstarch slurry and cook until thickened.
- You can use chicken broth instead of heavy cream to make the dressing lighter.
How Will This Chicken & Mushroom Recipe Look And Taste Like?
Recreating Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom recipe was fun, and it tasted delicious and elegant. The seasoned and baked chicken is cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce.
The chicken breasts are tender and juicy, while the sauce is rich and flavorful. The mushrooms add a bit of earthiness to the dish, and the fresh parsley adds a pop of brightness.
When our chef presented Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom recipe, it was simple but sophisticated. The chicken was already on a plate, and the sauce was spooned over it. It tasted perfect. The chicken was savory, flavorful, and rich and creamy sauce.
Why Is My Chicken Breast Drying?
- If your chicken breast is drying, it might be because you might have overcooked it. To check if the chicken is cooked through, insert a meat thermometer and check whether it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Other than this, if you are cooking chicken breast over high heat, it can also cause it to dry out. So, it’s best to cook chicken breast over medium or low heat so it has time to cook evenly without drying out.
- Last but not least, if there’s not enough moisture in your chicken breasts, it may dry out. That’s why Julia Child asks to use butter and heavy cream, adding moisture to the dish.
Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Nutritional Values
This Julia Child’s chicken and milk is delicious and healthier as instead of frying chicken breasts, we baked them. So, it’s better to consume if you are concerned about your health. Besides this, we’ve prepared a table where nutritional values have been added.
Can You Make This Chicken And Mushroom Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom recipe ahead of time. For this, cook the chicken and mushrooms per the recipe, but don’t add chicken to the sauce. Next, store the chicken and mushrooms in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you’re making the sauce beforehand, it’s best to let it cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator. It will help to prevent the sauce from thickening too much.
How To Store This Julia Child Chicken And Mushroom Properly?
- Refrigeration – To store leftover Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom properly, transfer the dish to an airtight container and refrigerate the dish for up to three days.
- Freezing – If you want to store the dish for longer, you can freeze it for up to a month. For this, transfer the dish to a freezer-safe container and freeze it.
Can You Reheat Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom?
Yes, you can reheat Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom. We suggest reheating the sauce in a saucepan over low heat.
You can also reheat Julia Child’s Chicken and Mushroom in the oven. For this, preheat the oven, place the dish in a baking dish, and bake for twenty minutes.
We suggest you reheat the chicken and mushrooms separately over medium heat. Also, a chicken broth or water splash to the skillet while reheating the chicken and mushrooms is recommended.
What To Serve With This Julia Child’s Chicken & Mushroom?
This Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom is perfect on its own. Pairing it with other recipes will complete it. Some of the options are:
- Julia Child’s Ratatouille – Serve Julia Child’s ratatouille with this chicken and mushroom to make it a complete meal. This dish will perfectly balance the sweet and savory flavor of the dish.
- Julia Child’s Turkey – Serve your chicken and mushroom with turkey. It will add umami flavor to flavorful and crunchy bruschetta.
- Julia Child’s Potato Salad – This potato salad will taste amazing with your refreshing and flavorful chicken and mushroom. The recipe is quite simple. Even the flavors won’t overwhelm you.
- Julia Child’s Tuna Sandwich – Nothing can beat a tasty tuna sandwich with this chicken and mushroom. They are so unique, comforting, and delicious that you can’t even deny their taste.
- Julia Child’s Bruschetta – The soup with savory, juicy, creamy chicken and mushroom will go well. Its pleasant garlicky taste will pair well with the spicy soup.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Julia Child’s chicken and mushroom recipe. It is the perfect weeknight dinner that you can prepare at home.
Besides this recipe, we have a separate blog on various Julia Child’s recipes. Some are Julia Child’s Coq Au Vin Recipe, Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon Le Creuset Recipe, Julia Child’s Potato Leek Soup Recipe, and Julia Child’s Tuna Sandwich Recipe.
Julia Child’s Chicken And Mushroom Recipe
- Oven-Proof Skillet
- Chopping Board
- 4 pieces Chicken Breast
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Wine
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 4 oz Mushrooms
- ½ cup Onions
- 1 sprig Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper (to taste)
- Rub the chicken breasts with drops of lemon juice and season it with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in an oven-proof skillet until foaming.
- Stir in the minced green onion and mushrooms and saute them without browning.
- Sprinkle it with salt and black pepper.
- Roll the chicken in the veggies mixture.
- Cover the skillet with butter paper.
- Please place it in the oven and cook for a few minutes until the chicken is springy.
- Take out the skillet from the range, remove the chicken, and pour wine.
- Add half a cup of vegetable stock to the skillet.
- Stir in the heavy cream and boil until the cream is thickened.
- Let it simmer until the sauce is thickened and cooked properly.
- Serve the sauce over the chicken and garnish it with chopped parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are chicken and mushrooms?
Chicken and mushroom is a savory dish made with creamy sauce. Chicken is cooked in the oven along with mushrooms and seasonings. The creamy sauce is poured over the chicken to make it flavorful.
Can we cook chicken and mushrooms together?
Yes, when you cook them together, they taste amazing. Cook chicken with mushrooms and shallots for the best flavors.
What wine goes with chicken and mushrooms?
White wine of Canada, red canon, red graves, red haut Medoc, red Margaux are some of the best wines that pair well with chicken and mushrooms.
What are the sauce ingredients that go well with chicken and mushrooms?
Make the creamy sauce with chicken stock, wine, cream cheese, and evaporated milk.
What seasonings are used in Julia Child’s chicken and mushrooms?
You can use salt, pepper, and parsley for the chicken and mushroom recipe.
Look no further than her chicken and mushroom dish if you’re in the mood for a classic Julia Child recipe. This dish is hearty and flavorful, and it’s sure to please any crowd.
Best of all, it’s relatively easy to make, so you won’t spend hours in the kitchen prepping and cooking.
Give this recipe a try the next time you’re looking for a comforting meal that everyone will love.