Julia Child’s souffle is a savory souffle that is made by following traditional steps. Moreover, it is culinary treat with elegant appeal.
Besides light consistency, the delicious taste will win your heart. So, here is a cheese souffle recipe that will satisfy almost any craving!
To make cheese souffle, first preheat the oven and grease your souffle cups. Now heat the pan and make the savory sauce with seasonings.
Beat the egg whites and stir in the sauce along with swiss cheese. The souffle mixture is ready. Pour in the cups and bake for twenty-five minutes. Enjoy a cheese souffle in time.
For making Julia Child’s cheese souffle, you don’t need to be a master chef. By just following some steps you can get through the entire recipe.
Give it a try if you are looking for a decadent savory souffle. This article will give you a detailed step-by-step guide on everything you need to make this savory souffle.
This recipe covers everything from the equipment, ingredients, method, and even nutritional information. Check out other best Julia Child’s recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Julia Child’s Recipes That You Can Try
- Julia Child’s French Onion Soup
- Julia Child’s Potato Leek Soup
- Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon Le Creuset
- Julia Child’s Coq Au Vin
- Julia Child’s Ratatouille
- Julia Child’s Beef Stroganoff
- Julia Child’s Clafoutis
- Julia Child’s Turkey
- Julia Child’s Hollandaise Sauce
- Julia Child’s Bruschetta
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle?
- Bowl – Combine all the souffle ingredients in the bowl.
- Balloon Whisk Spatula – Using a balloon whisk spatula, whisk the eggs.
- Souffle Cups – Grease souffle cups with butter.
- Oven – Bake souffle in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grater – Grate cheese using a grater.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||30 Minutes||50 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle?
- Butter – Melt butter in the cooking pan.
- Hot Milk – Stir in hot milk to make a creamy and thick sauce.
- Egg Yolks – Add egg yolks to the sauce for the flavor and yellow color.
- Parmesan Cheese – Dust parmesan cheese in the souffle cups during the greasing time.
- Swiss Cheese – Mix the grated swiss cheese in the souffle mixture for the nutty, sweet, and mild cheesy taste.
- Flour – We’ll use all-purpose flour for the souffle as the base ingredient.
- Paprika – Because it’s a savory souffle, we’ll add a hint of spiciness with paprika.
- Nutmeg – Make your souffle slightly woody and flavored with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Salt – Salt is needed in every baking recipe, including Souffle.
- White Pepper – We’ll use white pepper for the seasoning instead of black pepper. It has grassy and musty flavors, making the souffle taste amazing.
Steps To Make Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle
1. Preheat The Oven
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Thoroughly butter a six-cup souffle with one and a half tablespoons of butter and coat it with parmesan cheese.
The cheese should be knocked out and no longer visible.
2. Heat The Pan
Melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour, cooking for two minutes and stirring constantly. Once you have a bubbly mixture, take it off the burner and stir in the hot milk until thick.
You’ll need to simmer it over medium heat until it’s done. Whisk in paprika, nutmeg, white pepper, and salt. Add eggs one by one once it’s done.
3. Gently Mix Egg Whites
In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks (this is your meringue). Then, mix 1/4 of the eggs into the sauce to lighten it and set it aside.
Gently fold in the remaining egg whites with alternating folds of grated Swiss cheese to create a light and fluffy texture.
4. Bake In The Oven
The oven would be preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour the souffle mix into the souffle cups and set in the oven.
Reduce the heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake until it rises 1 or 2 inches above the cup’s rim and browns on top.
It will take about 25-30 minutes in total. Serve immediately when done. Congratulations! You have successfully baked this classic cheesy souffle.
How Will Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle Look And Taste Like?
Julia Child’s cheesy soufflé is savory and cheesy. This version is prepared with egg yolks and whites, giving a rich and decadent souffle. The souffle is known for its light, delicate texture.
They look great because they are nicely baked and puffy. One bite instantly reminded me of a cross between a popover and quiche, but far more fancy than either, yet no trickier to make.
Julia Child’s Cheese Souffle Recipe
- Balloon Whisk Spatula
- Souffle Cups
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Hot milk
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- Nutmeg (a pinch)
- Salt (to taste)
- White Pepper (a dash)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter the six cups of souffle and coat the pan with grated parmesan cheese.
- Melt butter in the pan. Stir in flour and cook for two minutes until you get a thick mixture. Take off the pan from the heat.
- Add hot milk in it and mix until the mixture is thick.
- Again simmer on the heat. Stir in seasoning and mix well.
- Stir in eggs one by one and keep blending.
- Now take a bowl. Beat egg whites until the soft stiff peaks form.
- Stir the egg whites into the sauce we just prepared.
- Gently fold in egg whites with grated swiss cheese.
- Pour the souffle mix into the greased cups.
- Bake for twenty-five minutes.
- Julia Child’s cheese souffle is ready.
- Serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a Cheese souffle?
Souffles are baked dishes made with flavorful bases and egg whites. The bubbles in the egg whites expand, and it is puffed up. It’s a French dessert which means to blow.
What are souffle made out of?
Souffles are made of cream sauce and beaten eggs.
Is the souffle served hot or cold?
Souffle is mostly served hot. It’s a lovely dessert to make for your guest. They are a unique dessert recipe from Julia Child’s kitchen.
What is the secret to a good souffle?
A good souffle is made with well-beaten egg whites, so it keeps its volume and puffs up. Make sure the egg whites are at room temperature.
What is the inside of a souffle-like?
The inside of a souffle is puffed and brown. It will have a soft center.
So there you have it, a delicious and easy-to-follow souffle recipe that anyone can make at home. A souffle is delicious and impressive.
You can create a beautifully risen souffle that will impress your guests with just a few simple ingredients and some basic kitchen equipment. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!