Now comes the turn of a traditional dish in London. Not forgetting our values and traditional dishes, let’s learn to make jellied eels today.
This dish was originated in the 18th century in the East Side of London. Jellied eels is one of my favourite traditional dishes that my grandma used to make in London. It was so yummy that I learnt to make them from my grandma. It has a perfect flavour of salty and fishy jelly. Today I am going to share my recipe that grandma taught me.
Jellied eels can be easily prepared by cutting the eel diagonally around 2.5cm in length. Mix it with the lemon juice, bay leaves, peppercorn, cloves and salt in a large saucepan and boil it for 20 minutes. Then stir it with parsley and chill it with cooking liquid. Now it is ready to be served.
This was just a quick recipe. To learn a full and detailed recipe stay with me till the very end. Further, you will also get to know the nutrition that our jellied eels contain. Let’s first check the ingredients that will be needed for jellied eels to be made.
Ingredients For Jellied Eels
- 900g Skinned Eels
- Good Malt Vinegar
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 3 Leaves Bay
- 8 Black Peppercorns.
- 4 Teaspoons of Salts
- 1 Pared Zest And Juice Of Lemon
- 1 Small Bunch Of Curly Parsley
- Freshly Ground White Pepper
- Brown Bread And Butter (for serving)
Collect all the above ingredients and make the yummiest of all that is jellied eels. Check the time that it will take to be ready.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Jellied Eels?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|50 minutes||20 minutes||70 minutes|
Steps To Make Jellied Eels
- Cut the skin from the back of the head with a sharp knife.
- Using Fish pliers, take away about 2.5 cm of skin from the back of the head.
- Hang the eel with its head down by using a string and with a fish plier grab the skin and start pulling it away.
- When the skins start to come more cleanly, firmly pull it down towards the tail with steady hands. When it comes to the tail it will be a little hard but with a little final tug, it will be over.
- Then lay the eel on the chopping board and cut off the head and make a cut on the backbone just above the lines of bones with a sharp knife.
- Now cut away the fillet, just keep the knife close to the bones.
- When the knife is close, the bones hold the eel from another side with another hand and cut the fillet in a clean sweep.
- Repeat the same for another side.
- Now cut the fillet into pieces of around 2.5cm in length diagonally.
- Then take a large saucepan and add pieces with the ingredients, i.e. lemon juice, bay leaves, peppercorn, cloves, and salt.
- Cover the mixture with cold water and boil it for around 20 minutes.
- Now put the mixture in the bowl and cool it, after 10 minutes stir it with parsley and chill it until the cooking liquid is set.
- After the liquid is set, it is ready to be served.
These jellied eels have a soft and salty taste with a fish scent. I recommend you to eat these eels white pepper to elevate some of its taste.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Jellied Eels
These jellied eels are really nutritious. That is why I’ve added the nutritional breakdown of it below.
How To Make Jellied Eels At Home | Video
I have uploaded a video with this and I hope it will help you through the cooking.
Thanks for stopping by this corner! Try it and share the feedback. Let us know if you want us to write down any specific recipe for you. Till then walk through some other interesting recipes on our site. Eat healthily and live happily.