Jellied Eel is a traditional dish that has its roots in England. It is served cold. It is really simple to make and has simple ingredients too.
This dish was originated in the 18th century in the East Side of London. I had a chance to try this dish when I visited a seafood restaurant in London. I have always been a fan of traditional recipes and this recipe caught my eye. It was savory and the flavors were simple.
Jellied eels can be prepared by cutting the eels diagonally around 2.5cm in length. Mix it with the lemon juice, bay leaves, peppercorn, cloves and salt in a large saucepan. Add water and boil it for 20 minutes. Then, add parsley and chill it in the mixture. When the jelly is formed, it is ready to be served.
This was just a quick recipe. To learn the full and detailed recipe, stay with me till the very end. You will also get to know the nutrition that jellied eels contain. Let’s first check the ingredients that will be needed for making jellied eels.
Jellied Eels Recipe
- 900 g Skinned Eels
- Malt Vinegar
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 8 Black Peppercorns
- 4 tsp Salts
- 1 Zest And Juice Lemon
- 1 Small Bunch Of Curly Parsley
- Freshly ground White Pepper
- Brown Bread And Butter
- First, you need to prepare the eel. Using a sharp knife, cut the skin of the eel from the back of the head. Then, using fish pliers, pull away 2.5 cm of its skin.
- After skinning, lay the eel on the chopping board and cut off the head. Make a cut on the backbone, just above the lines of bones.
- Now, cut away the fillet. Keep the knife close to the bones.
- When the knife is close to the bones, hold the eel from another side and cut the fillet in a clean sweep. Repeat the same for the other side.
- Now cut the fillet into pieces of around 2.5cm in length diagonally.
- Then, take a large saucepan and add pieces with the ingredients, i.e., lemon juice, bay leaves, peppercorn, cloves, and salt.
- Pour cold water into the saucepan and bring this mixture to boil for about 20 minutes.
- Now, put the mixture in the bowl and cool it. After 10 minutes, stir it after adding parsley and chill it until the mixture is set.
- After the mixture is set and jelly is formed, it is ready to be served.