Jamie Oliver shepherd’s pie recipe is a traditional British dish that is typically made with lamb, vegetables, and a mashed potato topping. It is a hearty and filling meal that is perfect for any time of the year.
To make this pie, firstly roast the lamb. Cook your veggies with a hint of rosemary herb. Then make a lamb stew.
Mash potatoes and prepare the pie dish by combining everything. Bake for one and a half hours. Delicious shepherd’s pie is ready to enjoy.
Jamie Oliver uses colorful vegetables and meat to intensify the dish. So, make sure you don’t skip on any vegetables and make it an authentic dish.
For the perfect texture of the pie, don’t skip any cooling or filling. Or the pie will result in a falling apart pie.
So pie lovers! Ready to whip up this creative culinary masterpiece at home? Then follow the recipe instructions. Note down the equipment list, and also nutritional information. Before you proceed with the recipe, check out the list of other Jamie Oliver recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes That You Can Try
- Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower
- Jamie Oliver Lasagna
- Jamie Oliver Gnocchi
- Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk
- Jamie Oliver Coleslaw
- Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Carbonara
- Jamie Oliver Lobster Spaghetti Pasta
- Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Bolognese
- Jamie Oliver Seafood Linguine
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Shepherd’s Pie?
- Oven – Bake Shepherd’s pie in the oven for one hour at 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Pie Dish – Layer the pie dish with meat, vegetables, and mashed potatoes.
- Roasting Pan – Use a roasting pan to roast the lamb.
- Bowl – Keep the bowl to hold your cooked ingredients separately.
- Knife – Use a knife to cut off meat and also chop vegetables.
- Spatula – Mix all ingredients using a spatula.
- Cooking Pan – Saute vegetables in the cooking pan.
- Sieve – Use a sieve to drain off the meat stew.
- Fork – Mash potatoes using a fork.
- Grater – Grate cheese with the grater.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Shepherd’s Pie?
|6 Hours 30 Minutes
|6 Hours 45 Minutes
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Shepherd’s Pie?
- Lamb – Lamb has a strong, gamey flavor. It’s perfect to make shepherd’s pie.
- Butter – Add butter to the mashed potatoes for a buttery texture.
- Olive Oil – Rub lamb with olive oil before roasting.
- Red Onions – Chop red onions and keep them for the filling of shepherd’s pie.
- Carrots – Chop carrots for the crunchy texture of the pie.
- Celery – Celery brings freshness to the dish.
- Swede – Add swede for the sweet and earthy flavor.
- Rosemary – Fry rosemary leaves for the woody aroma.
- Potatoes – Boil and mash potatoes for the shepherd’s pie.
- Cheddar Cheese – Sprinkle cheddar cheese on the top for the melting cheese experience.
- Bread Crumbs – Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top for a crispy top.
- Plain Flour – Add plain flour to the stew for the perfect consistency.
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver Shepherd’s Pie
1. Roast Lamb
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub the lamb with a little oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Add one splash of water to the high-sided roasting tray and roast for four hours or until the meat is tender and falls away from the bone.
Remove the lamb from the roasting tray. Lift the lamb and put it on a clean surface. Take all the meat and chop it into small pieces. Reserve bones for use.
Skim off any fat from the tray and transfer it to the glass jar. Add a splash of boiling water to the tray and stir around. Pick up the sticky bites from the bottom and keep it aside.
2. Chop Veggies
Dice your onions, carrots, celery, and swede. Place them in a big pan on medium-high heat with two tablespoons of lamb fat.
Add in the rosemary leaves and fry for 20 minutes. Stir it regularly until they start to caramelize on the outside.
In a large saucepan, stir together the flour, lamb, bones, and tray juices. Add 1.5 liters of water.
Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to low and cook for about 40 minutes or until it has become a loose stew-like consistency. Stir periodically as it cooks.
To make the gravy flavorful for this lamb recipe, remove and discard the bones. Place a large coarse sieve over a pan and then spoon in batches of the lamb stew.
Let the gravy drip through, and after about two minutes, when you get a dense pile of meat and vegetables in the sieve, transfer it to a bowl with the remaining sauce in the pan.
3. For Topping
Start by peeling and chopping the potatoes into rough chunks. Add them to salted boiling water and cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
Drain and leave to steam. In a bowl, mash the potatoes and then add butter and cheddar cheese to it. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to your preference.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
4. Coat The Meat
Layer the pie dish with one tablespoon of reserved lamb fat. Then sprinkle rosemary leaves and half of the bread crumbs.
Rosemary leaves and shredded cheese will stick to the fat and create a delicious crunch.
5. Bake Time
Press the mashed potatoes into the baking dish to make a 1 cm thick layer. Then spoon in the filling and some gravy.
Smooth it out with a spatula before placing the leftover mashed potatoes onto it, patting them down, and crimping the edges.
Grate most of the cheese. Scatter with remaining bread crumbs and drizzle lightly with oil. Bake on the bottom of the oven for one hour and ten minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Shepherd’s pie is ready to serve. Enjoy!
How Will Jamie Oliver Shepherd’s Pie Look And Taste Like?
Jamie Oliver shepherd’s pie is a savory casserole dish. It’s a layered dish with meat, and crunchy vegetables, and topped with mushy mashed potatoes.
The cheese on the top adds a melting layer and the breadcrumbs give it a top golden brown and crispy layer. When digging you get a spoonful of pure comfort food.
Jamie Oliver Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Pie Dish
- Roasting Pan
- Cooking Pan
- 18 oa Lamb (minced)
- 1 stick Butter
- Olive Oil (as needed)
- 2 Red Onions
- 2 Carrots
- 2 sticks Celery
- 19 oz Swede
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 19 oz Potatoes
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoons Plain Flour
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle olive oil over the lamb and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the roasting tray with a splash of water and roast the lamb for four hours.
- Remove the lamb from the roasting tray.
- Lift the lamb and place it on the surface. Chop the meat and keep aside the bones.
- Clean the roasting tray by picking up any sticky bites from the bottom of the tray.
- Splash boiling water on the tray and stir around. Preserve it in the glass jar.
- Place the diced onions, carrots, celery, and swede in a pan. Heat the pan on medium flame with adding lamb fat. Stir in rosemary leaves and cook for twenty minutes.
- Stir flour, lamb, bones, and tray juices in the saucepan. Add 1.5 liters of water and cook well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat and cook on a low flame for forty minutes.
- Discard the bones.
- Place the sieve over the pan and spoon the lamb stew into the batches.
- Transfer everything to a separate bowl.
- Chop the potatoes and boil them in the salted water. Cook for fifteen minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool. Then add butter and cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper. Mash the potato.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place one tablespoon of lamb fat in the bottom of the pie dish. Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs and rosemary leaves on top.
- Now layer the mashed potatoes into the pie dish. Spoon the filling and the gravy.
- Push down the filling into the pie dish. Now place the leftover mashed potatoes and pat them down.
- Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Drizzle oil on the top.
- Bake for one hour and ten minutes.
- Jamie Oliver’s shepherd’s pie is ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is traditional shepherd’s pie made of?
Traditional shepherd is prepared with ground lamb cooked with vegetables and topped with fluffy mashed potatoes and baked.
Can you put tomato puree in shepherd’s pie?
No, Jamie Oliver shares a wonderful shepherd’s pie but it does not include tomato puree.
What’s the difference between a shepherd’s pie and a cottage pie?
The only difference between a shepherd’s pie and a cottage pie is the meat. Shepherd’s pie uses lamb meat whereas cottage pie is made with beef.
How do I keep my shepherd’s pie from falling apart?
The secret to firm shepherd’s pie is to make mashed potatoes firm. Cripsy mashed potatoes keep the pie together.
What goes well with Shepherd’s Pie?
Glazed carrots, milk bread, salads, peas, baked beans, green beans, and roasted brussel sprouts go well with shepherd’s pie.
Shepherd’s pie is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a winter meal. It is easy to make and can be made ahead of time, making it a great option for entertaining or busy weeknights.
So next time you’re looking for a delicious and comforting meal, give shepherd’s pie a try! Share your experience with us in the comment below.