Salads are considered a classic summer dish. They’re refreshing, tasty, and vibrant. One such salad is Jamie Oliver potato salad. It’s the perfect way to use potatoes in the salad. It is a no-fuss salad recipe that can be prepared in less than half an hour.
It has a tangy, crunchy, and fluffy texture with a slightly salty and a hint of sweetness. It is a perfect potato salad that is extremely light. We were initially skeptical about this recipe, as recreating the recipe of a legend is daunting.
But it turned out to be an astonishing and delightful salad dish. You can accompany this salad with main course meals, giving you a jaw-dropping experience. Just make sure not to overmix the salad. Otherwise, you’ll get a mushy potato salad.
This Jamie Oliver potato salad is no exception. It is a classic potato salad with a few twists that make it tastier. The steps are surprisingly easy to make, so don’t be intimidated. So, let’s get started! But before you proceed with the recipe, check out the guide below for the best results.
What's In The Post
Have We Followed The Exact Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Recipe?
Yes, we have followed the recipe as Jamie Oliver. The ingredients used in this recipe are very close to the Jamie Oliver recipe. The only difference you may find is the kind of potatoes used.
Jamie Oliver has used new potatoes with a thin, crisp, and waxy texture. However, you are free to use any potato. Just keep in mind the surface. So, the only thing you need to do is to follow the recipe thoroughly for the exact flavors.
How Is Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Different From Regular Potato Salad?
Jamie Oliver’s potato salad recipe differs significantly from the regular potato salad. The main difference is that Jamie Oliver added a light vinaigrette dressing instead of a mayo-based one. This dressing creates a more vibrant and tangy taste than the creamy dressing.
Other than this, various recipes use Yukon or russet potatoes for the recipe. But, Jamie Oliver has used new potatoes with a thin and crisp waxy texture. Unlike regular potatoes, they hold their shape once cooked and are slightly sweeter.
Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Recipe?
- Classic – No unhealthy and extra stuff here. Everyone will love this easy and traditional potato salad.
- Fresh – This recipe is made with fresh ingredients, which is worth it. So fresh ingredients that you won’t find at the grocery stores!
- Make-Ahead – Prepare this classy salad when you have time, pull it out of the fridge, and serve when ready!
Is This Potato Salad An Appetizer Or A Side Dish?
Potato salad is a simple salad that can be served in various ways. It can be served as a side dish or an appetizer. It depends on your preferences on how you want to serve it. Generally, potato salad is more commonly considered a side dish.
As a side dish, it is accompanied by main courses such as grilled meats, burgers, sandwiches, or barbecued dishes. It provides a complementary flavor and texture to the main course. However, in some contexts, potato salad can be served as an appetizer or finger food. In this case, it is served in smaller portions and eaten before the main course.
Does This Potato Salad Require Mayonnaise?
No, we haven’t used mayonnaise in this potato salad. This recipe will go without mayonnaise and yield the perfect creamy texture. This recipe uses alternative dressing such as vinaigrette. This option is very light as compared to mayonnaise dressing.
However, many recipes on the internet call for mayonnaise for the dressing. So, if you’re looking for a potato salad without mayonnaise, try this homemade version of Jamie Oliver potato salad.
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver Potato Salad
- Pot – Cook potatoes in a pot containing boiling water until tender enough.
- Bowls – Prepare the vinaigrette dressing and potato salad in a bowl.
- Knife – Chop the potatoes, shallots, and herbs into chunks with a sharp knife.
- Chopping Board – Place the board beneath the veggies and herbs before slicing them.
- Peeler – Peel the potatoes with a peeler before cooking them.
- Strainer – Strain the water from the pot containing cooked potatoes using a strainer.
- Spatula – Toss the dressing with the potato mixture using a flat-surfaced spatula until well coated.
Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Ingredients
- Potatoes – Use new potatoes for the salad as they will give it a crispy and waxy texture.
- Shallots – Shallots will add deep color and crunchy texture to the potato salad.
- Olive Oil – Oil is added to give flavor and to coat the potato mixture with the dressing.
- Water – Fill a pot with two cups of water to boil the potatoes until tender.
- Parsley – Add parsley while making the dressing for a peppery taste. We have used dried parsley, but you can also use fresh parsley to the dressing.
- Dijon Mustard – A teaspoon of Dijon mustard is added while dressing to get a tangy, sharp, and intense flavor with some spice.
- Sea Salt – Add salt while boiling the potatoes for the best taste.
- Black Pepper – Season the salad with black pepper to add a complex flavor profile of piney, citrusy notes to the dressing.
Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Ingredients Substitutes
The ingredients used in this recipe are easy. Still, there are various ingredients you can swap with other ingredients. Here are some common ingredient substitutions:
- Dressing – If you want to use mayonnaise dressing, add mayonnaise instead of wine vinegar. Alternativity, you can use Greek yogurt, sour cream, or both for a creamy texture.
- Potatoes – We’ve used new potatoes for this recipe. But, if you can find Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, red potatoes, or any other waxy potato varieties, it would work well. Besides this, sweet potatoes are also a great option if you prefer a sweeter and healthier twist.
- Onions – If you can’t find shallots, use raw or green onions for a milder option. You can also lightly sauté or blanch onions to reduce their sharpness.
- Herbs – We’ve used parsley for the recipe. If you’re not a fan of parsley, use celery for added freshness and texture.
- Mustard – Mustard will add tanginess and flavor to potato salad, but if you’re not a fan, you can replace it with a touch of honey or leave it out entirely.
Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||15 Minutes||25 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Recipe Steps
Step 1- Fill the pot with two cups of cold water and a pinch of salt.
Step 2- Gently boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
Step 3- Take a bowl and add Dijon mustard.
Step 4- Whisk the olive oil in the bowl.
Step 5- Season it with salt and black pepper.
Step 6- Chop one shallot and a teaspoon of dried parsley and add them to the bowl.
Step 7- Please give it a good stir.
Step 8- Combine the cooled and cooked potatoes with the prepared dressing.
Step 9- Stir the potatoes until everything is evenly coated.
Step 1- Your Jamie Oliver Potato Salad is ready.
Tips To Make Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Better
To make a delicious and flavorful Jamie Oliver-style potato salad, consider these tips:
- Choose The Right Potatoes – We suggest using waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold, red potatoes, or fingerling potatoes as they hold their shape even after being cooked.
- Dress The Potatoes While Warm – Dress them once the potatoes are cooked and warmed enough. It will allow the flavors to penetrate the potatoes better.
- Add Texture And Crunch – Add chopped celery, diced bell peppers, or pickles to give the potato salad extra texture and a satisfying crunch.
- Seasoning And Toppings – If your salad is bland, mix sweet and savory combinations to balance it. Or sprinkle some fresh herbs to elevate its taste and freshness.
- Refrigerate It – Cool down the freshly prepared potato salad in the refrigerator for an hour at least before serving to help the flavors meld together.
- Avoid Overmixing – Be gentle while mixing the dressing and the potatoes to avoid it becoming a mushy or gummy texture.
Why Is My Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Watery?
If potato salad is made while the potatoes are hot, they will continue to release the water, making the salad watery. Besides this, there are various reasons which can make your potato salad soggy:
- Potatoes Not Drained Properly – After boiling the potatoes, ensure they are drained perfectly to eliminate excess water. Any remaining water can make the dressing and make the salad watery.
- Too Much Moisture From Ingredients – Adding ingredients with high water content, such as cucumbers or tomatoes, can release water into the salad. So, try to drain them before adding them.
- Variety Of Potatoes – A variety with higher moisture content could contribute to a watery salad.
- Don’t Season The Potatoes – Don’t add water while boiling or cooking the salad, as salt makes potatoes seep water, resulting in a watery dish. YOu can season the dish towards the end for a flavor explosion.
Is This Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Healthy?
Potato salad is very healthy as it contains nutrients, including fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.
|Saturated Fat||1.4 g|
How To Store This Potato Salad Recipe?
Storing potato salad is essential to maintain its freshness and prevent foodborne illnesses. We have curated a list of ways to consider keeping potato salad:
- Cooling Down – Once the salad is prepared, allow it to cool down to room temperature before storing. It will help prevent bacterial growth.
- Refrigerate Promptly – Transfer the potato salad to a clean and dry container with the lid in the refrigerator at a temperature equal to or below 40°F (4°C) for three to four days.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight – Keep the potato salad away from direct sunlight or other heat sources, or it will spoil quickly.
- Mix Before Serving – If the potato salad separates or some liquid accumulates at the bottom of the container during storage, give it a gentle mix before serving to redistribute the flavors.
How To Reheat This Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Recipe?
Reheating Jamie Oliver’s potato salad can be tricky as it can change texture and flavor. Plus, this recipe is served cold. However, if you still wish to proceed with reheating, see the guidelines below:
- Take the salad from the fridge and let it cool at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. Then, preheat your oven to 250°F (120°C). Transfer the salad to an oven-safe dish and warm the salad for five minutes.
- If you prefer to reheat the salad on a non-stick pan, then on low heat, stir the salad gently. Add a splash of water or broth if needed to prevent dryness.
- The microwave method is not generally recommended as it can result in uneven heating and potentially dry out the salad.
What Is Served With This Potato Salad?
Jamie Oliver potato salad recipe pairs well with a variety of dishes. I’ve listed a few ideas to serve as a refreshing side dish with this tangy salad.
- Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Carbonara – You’ll love this carbonara recipe if you’re a die-hard pasta lover. It is very light and refreshing and complements best with the salad.
- Jamie Oliver Pork Tenderloin – If you’re in the mood for swine, pork tenderloin will go best with a fancy dinner like potato salad. It is packed with flavor, making it a comfort meal.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Chicken – The roasted chicken will pair wonderfully with the potato salad. Crispy on the inside and juicy from the inside, chicken is great with hot and hearty potato salad.
- Jamie Oliver Salmon – Potato salad is a classic accompaniment to salmon. It’s rich, buttery, and flavored by grilling it. It is healthy and nutritious.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Jamie Oliver potato salad recipe. It is an easy and vegan-free recipe. Trying this recipe is worth the effort. You will get a flavorful and comforting bowl in the end.
Besides this easy potato salad recipe, we’ve covered various Jamie Oliver recipes. Some of them are Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Salad, Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto, Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower, Jamie Oliver Pesto Chicken Pasta, and Jamie Oliver Fried Rice Recipe.
Jamie Oliver Potato Salad Recipe
- Chopping Board
- 4 pounds Potatoes
- 1 Shallot (chopped)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Fill the pot with two cups of cold water and a pinch of salt.
- Gently boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Take a bowl and add Dijon mustard.
- Whisk the olive oil in the bowl.
- Season it with salt and black pepper.
- Chop one shallot and a teaspoon of dried parsley and add them to the bowl.
- Please give it a good stir.
- Combine the cooled and cooked potatoes with the prepared dressing.
- Stir the potatoes until everything is evenly coated.
- Your Jamie Oliver Potato Salad is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to store and reheat leftover Jamie Oliver potato salad?
Jamie Oliver potato salad is best served cold but can be stored and reheated. To store the salad, transfer it to an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat the salad, transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for 30-second intervals until it is warmed.
What is the best way to cook potatoes for Jamie Oliver potato salad?
Jamie Oliver recommends using waxy potatoes such as Charlotte or Maris Piper. He suggests using good-quality olive oil, white wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard for the dressing.
Can I make Jamie Oliver potato salad ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Jamie Oliver potato salad ahead of time. It is often best to make it a day or two in advance so the flavors can meld together. Prepare the salad according to the recipe instructions and then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Why do you put vinegar in the potato salad?
Toss your potatoes with vinegar to add a tangy flavor and protect the potatoes from drying out.
Jamie Oliver potato salad is surprisingly simple and only requires a few ingredients. It is versatile and can be customized with different ingredients for a unique flavor. So, what are you waiting for? Try Jamie Oliver potato salad today!