If you like Italian food, a bowl of piping-hot mushroom risotto may sound utterly delicious! Moreover, the recipe is curated by one of the finest chefs in the world! This Jamie Oliver Mushroom risotto recipe perfectly blends sharp flavors with well-cooked mushrooms and other elements!
This recipe is tried and tested, which makes it even better. I have to mention right off the bat that this risotto recipe is unlike any other you may have tried before. Just like Jamie Oliver has a twist of his own added to every recipe, you can expect the same out of this mushroom risotto!
Unlike other risotto recipes, the twist here is something you may not have experienced before, but it will surely leave you in awe! The recipe is also simple to follow, like the cherry on a cake or the wild mushrooms on this risotto! So, without further ado, let us dig into this fantastic recipe!
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto Recipe?
This Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom risotto recipe is identical to the original one.
It is fairly easy to point out that this recipe for mushroom risotto is unlike any other mushroom risotto you may have tried before. The reason is evident, as the risotto has added wild mushrooms. Another difference is that we used button mushrooms instead of porcini.
The risotto contains minimal mushrooms, giving it plenty of flavor. Although initially, we were skeptical of the process and how much flavor such a small amount would put in. But the result left us delighted. So yes, the recipe is worth following precisely as it is, and our chef has done the same.
How Is Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto Different From Regular Mushroom Risotto?
There are, in fact, plenty of factors that make Jamie Oliver’s mushroom risotto quite different from any other you may have had before. Firstly, the rice is cooked with minimal mushrooms per se, which is a prominent distinguishing feature.
Moreover, even though the mushroom is added a small amount, the flavor truly shines through. Lastly, the risotto is topped with wild grilled mushrooms, which adds a lot of flavor and gives the risotto the perfect kick of umami.
Why You’ll Love This Mushroom Risotto Recipe?
- Easy – Jamie Oliver mushroom risotto is relatively easy to make as you don’t need fancy ingredients. Plus, the steps are quite similar to a regular fried rice recipe.
- Customized – You can add any preferred ingredient besides mushroom and risotto.
- Healthy – This recipe is perfect for gluten intolerants as it is entirely gluten-free. Other than this, the ingredients used in this recipe are nutrient-rich.
- Flavorful – This homemade version of Jamie Oliver mushroom risotto is full of flavor due to the contrasting flavors and textures of the ingredients.
Does This Mushroom Risotto Recipe Have Wine In It?
Yes, the mushroom risotto recipe has white wine added to it.
The option Jamie Oliver gives to add to the recipe other than wine is vermouth. But white wine works perfectly well and adds a crisp flavor to the recipe. Most risotto recipes tend to have cooking wine added to them for a sharp taste. I recommend not skipping the ingredient from this recipe.
Equipment Needed For Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Here are all the pieces of equipment needed to make Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom risotto recipe:
- Measuring Spoons – If you want to follow a recipe as it is, it is best to get the quantities of every ingredient just as precise as possible. For that, a set of measuring spoons comes in handy.
- Weighing Scale – Similar to measuring spoons, a weighing scale will help you get precise measurements of every ingredient, which helps in such recipes.
- Large Knife – A large, sharp knife will help chop the aromatic veggies added to this recipe.
- Cutting Board – Knives and chopping boards go hand in hand when chopping veggies!
- Saucepan – A total of two saucepans will be needed for this recipe, a small one to heat some of the stock and a large one to cook the risotto.
- Bowl – You will need one medium bowl to soak the porcini mushrooms before chopping them up.
- Ladle – A large spoon will be needed to add stock to the risotto bit-by-bit to ensure it cooks evenly and the texture is smooth.
- Large Spoon – A large spoon will help saute the onions, celery, and rice before adding the liquid ingredients.
- Griddle – Lastly, you will need a large skillet to get that perfect grill on the wild mushrooms, or even a grill will work fine.
Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto Recipe Ingredients
- Risotto Rice – Also known as arborio rice, about 14.5 ounces, or roughly 400 grams of risotto rice, will work perfectly for one portion.
- Onion – A small white onion adds the right aromatic flavor to this recipe.
- Celery – For the aromatic flavor, you will need two celery sticks for this recipe.
- Shiitake Mushrooms – Shiitake mushrooms have abundant umami flavor, and ½ cup will work great to top off the risotto.
- Porcini Mushrooms – Use ¼ cup of dried porcini mushrooms for this recipe.
- White Wine – About 75 ml of white wine is perfect to deglaze the pan and add the right crisp flavor to this recipe.
- Parmesan – You will need ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese to add a lovely texture to the risotto.
- Olive Oil – About a single tablespoon of olive oil will be perfect for adding grease to the recipe while cooking all the ingredients.
- Vegetable Stock – We’ll cook the risotto rice in 1.5 liters of vegetable stock for extra flavor.
- Butter – Adding a teaspoon of butter to the risotto at the end will give it an excellent finish.
- Lemon Juice – The juice of a single lemon is perfect for this recipe for some acidity.
- Salt and Pepper – Any recipe would be complete with these two ingredients. Hence you will need a teaspoon of each for that perfect flavor.
- Parsley – In the end, we will add just a sprig of parsley to the risotto, just for some freshness.
Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto Ingredient Substitutions
Finding some ingredients to add to this recipe may take time and effort. But if that is the case, there is no need to worry! Here are some substitutions that can be used for some of the ingredients in this recipe.
- Shiitake Mushrooms – If you cannot find shiitake mushrooms, you can also use oyster mushrooms instead.
- White Wine – You can also use vermouth in the same quantity if not white wine.
- Vegetable Stock – If you are out of vegetable stock, you can use chicken or beef stock instead.
What Type Of Mushrooms Does Jamie Oliver Recommend For This Recipe?
Jamie Oliver recommends using porcini mushrooms to add to the risotto. For the grilled mushrooms that go on top, the best mushrooms to use are either shiitake mushrooms or oyster mushrooms.
Jamie Oliver Mushrooms Risotto Preparation and Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||1 Hour||1 Hour 20 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto Recipe Steps
Step 1- Add chopped garlic and olive oil to a pan and saute.
Step 2- Add sliced mushrooms to the pan and saute.
Step 3- Add pepper and wine to the mushrooms and keep stirring.
Step 4- Add salt to the mushrooms while cooking on medium heat.
Step 5- Add the chopped onions and celery to the mushrooms and cook further.
Step 6- Finish by adding some chopped parsley.
Step 7- Add the risotto rice to the mix.
Step 8- Add stock to the mixture, one ladle at a time, and keep cooking.
Step 9- Once the risotto is cooked, garnish with more chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
Step 10- Your Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto is ready.
Tips To Make This Mushroom Risotto Better
This recipe is perfect on its own. But don’t hesitate to elevate its taste. Here are some tips to make your mushroom risotto even better:
- Don’t overcook the mushrooms. Just sauté them until the center is fork-tender while the exterior is caramelized and crisp. All you have to do is stir it occasionally to make it brown.
- Refrain from overcrowding the pan with mushrooms. Feel free to add the mushrooms in batches. Else, it won’t get cooked evenly.
- Make sure to give the risotto a good stir. The risotto requires much more stirring than the mushrooms. You won’t have creamy risotto if you don’t stir it often enough. Else, the starches will stick together and burn the risotto.
- Add the broth slowly. In short, work in batches and keep stirring after you pour a few tablespoons until the rice has absorbed almost all the liquid. Cook until the rice is creamy, but each grain renders you a slight bite.
- Cook a few pieces of mushrooms until they soften slightly and impart an umami taste to the risotto. Then top it with the remaining pieces for a soft and chewy bite.
- When your mushroom risotto is done, let it sit to thicken it up. Mushroom risotto is best served the day it is prepared, but leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days in an airtight container. When reheating the risotto, add water or stock as it thickens when refrigerated.
Why Is My Mushroom Risotto Mushy?
Your mushroom risotto is mushy mostly because you added too much of the stock at a time and kept the rice from soaking it all in.
As mentioned earlier, being as patient as possible is essential while cooking the risotto, especially the rice. Adding some liquid at a time is to ensure the rice loses the starch and does not get mushy. If you add too much liquid at a time or try to hurry the process, the risotto will get a mushy texture.
How Will Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto Look and Taste Like?
Jamie Oliver’s mushroom risotto looks nothing less than what you would expect out of a fine-dining restaurant. The risotto is perfectly cooked, with the grains being soft and not sticking together or making the texture mushy. The garnish on top of the grilled mushrooms makes the dish look even more divine.
As far as flavor is concerned, again, the recipe turns out to be nothing less than what you would have expected from a fine-dining restaurant. The rice is well cooked with a bite, the mushrooms are grilled perfectly, and the risotto is filled with umami flavor, just like you would expect a mushroom risotto to taste!
Is Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto Healthy?
To figure out if Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom risotto is healthy, first, let us look at the dish’s nutritional values in the table below.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
As you can see in the table given above, the mushroom risotto is not the healthiest dish ever, but it is also not unhealthy at the same time. The risotto is packed with protein but is also high in carbohydrates, which is something to keep in mind. Other than that, the calories in a single portion are a few, but still, the risotto must be eaten in moderation.
How To Store Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto?
To store leftover mushroom risotto, follow these steps:
- To store this mushroom risotto, completely cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Label it with the date and store it in the fridge for up to three days.
- Freezing this recipe is not ideally appropriate. So, it’s better to consume within a few days.
- When reheating Jamie Oliver mushroom risotto, add a splash of water or broth to help moisten the risotto. Enjoy!
How To Reheat Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto?
There are two main ways to reheat this risotto to make sure the texture stays intact, along with the flavor of the risotto. Here is how you can do so.
- In The Microwave – Place the risotto on a microwave-safe plate and sprinkle just a little water. Heat the risotto till perfectly warm throughout, for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- In A Pan – Add the risotto to a pan and sprinkle some water. Heat it with a lid until completely hot and you are ready.
What To Serve With Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto?
What do you serve with this delectable mushroom risotto? Well, plenty of dishes go perfectly as a side or an accompanying main with the risotto. Here are some lovely options that can be served alongside Jamie Oliver’s mushroom risotto:
- Jamie Oliver’s Chicken Nuggets – If you would like to put a fun twist to your risotto, you can serve it with some of Jamie Oliver’s chicken nuggets, which are crispy and delicious.
- Jamie Oliver’s Pulled Pork Recipe – Pulled pork is always a decadent dish to enjoy, and this pulled pork recipe makes a delicious and hearty side with the mushroom risotto.
- Jamie Oliver’s Roast Chicken Recipe – Would you like some chicken on the side with your risotto that is not fried? Then try this protein-rich roast chicken recipe by Jamie Oliver!
- Jamie Oliver’s French Onion Soup – Another great option to serve with Jamie Oliver’s mushroom risotto is a hearty French onion soup, which will add even more umami flavor.
- Jamie Oliver’s Cabbage Coleslaw Recipe – A light salad on the side also makes for a fun dish to serve with the mushroom risotto; for that, this cabbage coleslaw is perfect.
Creamy Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Measuring Spoons
- Weighing Scale
- Large Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Spoon
- 14.5 ounces Risotto Rice
- 1 no Onion
- 2 sticks Celery
- 1/2 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Porcini Mushrooms
- 75 ml White Wine
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1.5 liters Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 1 no. Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 sprig Parsley
- Add chopped garlic and olive oil to a pan and saute.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the pan and saute.
- Add pepper and wine to the mushrooms and keep stirring.
- Add salt to the mushrooms while cooking on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and celery to the mushrooms and cook further.
- Finish by adding some chopped parsley.
- Add the risotto rice to the mix.
- Add stock to the mixture, one ladle at a time, and keep cooking.
- Once the risotto is cooked, garnish with more chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
As we have concluded this article, I hope it has helped you understand the recipe perfectly well. This recipe makes for a beautiful and rich umami-tasting dish. The process may seem tricky if you have yet to make risotto before.
However, if you follow the recipe and the steps just as they are, you’ll be able to achieve a fantastic risotto. Moreover, Jamie Oliver also made the recipe, so you know it will turn out great! If you like recipes by Jamie Oliver, there are many other recipes that you should surely try out, like Jamie Oliver Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, Jamie Oliver Roasted Potatoes, Jamie Oliver Mushroom Pasta, Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets, and Jamie Oliver Easy Carbonara.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is this recipe precisely as Jamie Oliver made it?
Yes, this recipe is the same as the one made by Jamie Oliver.
What mushrooms can be used for garnish?
You can use shiitake mushrooms or even oyster mushrooms as a garnish for this recipe.
Is it necessary to add wine to the recipe?
Yes, wine is indeed an essential ingredient in a risotto recipe.
Are mushrooms added to the risotto itself?
Yes, a small amount of porcini mushrooms are also added to this recipe.