We’ve been trying various fried rice recipes for quite a long time. But this Jamie Oliver prawns fried rice will blow your mind. It is flavorful and loaded with tender prawns. It’s an easy, one-pot dish that can be prepared within half an hour.
The best part of this recipe is there are various variations in this recipe. Our chef has added smokey bacon and prawns. But you can use whatever you’ve in your fridge. Trust me; it’s way better than the traditional one.
Our chef has only recommended using pre-cooked rice for the best flavors. Also, he has advised us to use fresh prawns to avoid it from getting too tough and chewy.
So, like any other fried rice, this prawns fried rice is like the real thing. But it is loaded with good-for-you veggies and traditional fried rice seasonings. So, change your preferences and try this Jamie Oliver prawns fried rice from the recipe guide below.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Jamie Oliver prawns fried rice recipe. We’ve followed the recipe step-by-step as Jamie Oliver. The result is chewy rice and tender prawns. It is decked with flavors and textures.
This Jamie Oliver fired rice is full of fresh and nutritious ingredients like free-range eggs. Our chef Jasbir has incorporated all the elements into this recipe, resulting in the best dish you have ever had.
How Jamie Oliver’s Prawns Fried Rice Is Different From Regular Prawns Fried Rice?
Jamie Oliver’s prawns fried rice is very different from the regular one. Jamie Oliver has added smoked bacon and prawns to make it more classy, while other recipes omit sausages and meat.
Besides, Jamie Oliver has used tikka paste to marinate bacon and prawns. In comparison, other recipes deglaze the pan with olive oil itself. Whatever method you prefer, make sure not to rush with the steps.
Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice?
This recipe has everything to love. It is very chewy, full-filling, and straightforward to make. This seafood dish is made with fresh and quality ingredients.
The best part is you can easily customize this dish per your choice and taste. The ingredients used in this recipe can be available easily in your pantry. Also, it’s a one-pot dish, so you don’t need to take out other utensils.
Is This Prawns Fried Recipe Gluten-Free?
Yes, this prawns fried rice is gluten-free as it contains no flour. However, soy sauce may contain gluten ingredients as one of the critical seasonings in this fried rice. Also, cross-contamination may leave gluten traces if you are preparing the dish.
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice
- Pot – Cook basmati rice in a bank for a few minutes until tender and fluffy.
- Strainer – Remove the rice water from the cooked rice using a filter.
- Frying Pan – Prepare prawns fried rice in a non-stick frying pan until done.
- Knife – Slice the veggies and bacon using a sharp knife into chunks for easy cooking.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies and meat on a cutting board for the recipe.
- Spatula – Remove the egg base from the frying pan using a spatula.
Ingredients Required For Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice
- Basmati Rice – We’ve used basmati rice to make prawns fried rice, as it will add a nutty flavor to your fried rice.
- Smoked Streaky Bacon – Smoked streaky bacon will add an umami flavor to the rice.
- Raw Prawns – Peel the raw prawns and cook until brown to add a slight sweetness to the recipe.
- Sausage – Cook the sausage until brown to add a spicy and salty flavor to the recipe.
- Eggs – Use hard-boiled eggs to make egg ribbons to add savory flavor to your recipe.
- Curry Tikka Paste – Add tikka paste to saute the meat to give the fried rice a slightly spicy and earthy taste.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce adds a tamari flavor with a hint of sweetness, which is the essential flavor of this fried rice.
- Chili Jam – Top your prepared prawns fried rice with chili jam to add an extra sweetness and savory kick to this rice.
- Olive Oil – Fry the veggies and meat, and prepare an egg base in olive oil until fully cooked.
- Spring Onion – Saute spring onion to add slight sweetness to the fried rice.
- Carrot – Cut carrots and cook in a pan to give a slightly sweet flavor.
- Bok Choy – Bok choy will add slightly earthiness and sweetness to the fried rice.
- Broccoli – Broccoli will add crunchiness and earthiness to the recipe.
- Red Cabbage – Red cabbage corn will add slightly sweetness to this prawns-fried rice.
- White Cabbage – We’ve used white cabbage to add sweetness to the fried rice.
- Garlic – Add chopped garlic while preparing the veggies to give an intense flavor.
- Ginger – Add chopped ginger to provide the rice with a spicy flavor.
Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Ingredients Substitutions
- Prawns – We’ve used fresh prawns for the best flavor. But you can also go for frozen prawns that’s already been cooked. All you have to do is to thaw them before using it.
- Rice – We’ve used basmati rice for this recipe. But if you don’t have them or want something different, use fine rice noodles instead.
- Veggies – You can swap carrots, asparagus, or corn with cauliflower or snap peas for freshness and sweetness.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce will add umami flavors to the recipe. However, tamari sauce or coconut aminos can add sweetness to the recipe.
Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||45 Minutes||1 Hour 15 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Recipe Steps
Step 1- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Step 2- Pour beaten eggs into the pan and cook until the omelet is made.
Step 3- Take out the omelet and saute ginger and garlic in the same pan.
Step 4- Saute until fragrant and add prawns.
Step 5- Add sausage to the pan and cook.
Step 6- Now, add finely sliced smokey bacon to the pan.
Step 7- Cook everything until brown.
Step 8- Add half a cup of sliced spring onions, some broccoli florets, chopped bok choy, and some diced carrots and cook until soft.
Step 9- Next, add some shredded white and red cabbage.
Step 10- Gradually mix cooked rice into the pan containing the veggies and stir well.
Step 11- Pour in the curry tikka paste, a tablespoon of chili jam, and soy sauce.
Step 12- Give everything a good stir until everything is well coated.
Step 13- At last, layer prawns fried rice with the slices of egg omelet and serve.
Step 14- Your Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice is ready.
Tips To Make This Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Better
- Make sure you have everything ready in your hand. This recipe is prepared on high heat, so well-decked with the ingredients.
- We recommend using pre-cooked rice for the best flavors. Freshly cooked rice will yield sticky and gooey fried rice.
- Take your time with the prawns, leading to challenging and chewy prawns.
- Take your time with the steps. Add all the ingredients accordingly to avoid your fried rice failing.
- To avoid the flavors from being mixed up, fry the ingredients separately. It will help the flavors outshine.
- You can add leftover meat, like ham or smoked meat, for the classic flavor.
Do You Cook Eggs First Or Rice First For This Recipe?
Our chef has advised us to cook rice first for this recipe, then move on to cooking eggs. It will prevent the flavors from getting mushy together.
Cooking rice first and then adding eggs will make this dish more flavorful, visually appealing, and balanced in texture. While remember to experiment with the method, trust us; it will create a delightful and satisfying prawns-fried rice experience.
Why Are My Prawns Fried Recipe Sticky?
If your prawns fried rice is sticky, it might be because of the excess starch content in the rice. So, it is advised to rinse the old-aged basmati rice for at least twenty to thirty minutes to prevent the grains from getting sticky. Also, let the rice cool before frying it in the wok.
Besides this, if any veggie you use contains excess moisture, it can contribute to sticky rice. Last, too much soy sauce and seasonings can also contribute to sticky fried rice. So, add them gradually as you go.
How Will This Prawns Fried Recipe Recipe Look And Taste Like?
Recreating Jamie Oliver fried rice was worth it for us. When we tasted this rice prepared by our chef, we first realized that this fried rice is a perfect balance of salty and sweet flavors of the ingredients.
Then, when you bite it, the crunchy texture of the rice and tender bacon will relish you. Lastly, you will ascertain the beautiful color of the dish, thanks to the fresh veggies used.
Is Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Healthy?
Jamie Oliver prawns fried rice is not only tasty but also very healthy. Since this recipe contains prawns, it is packed with nutrients. However, this recipe will not work if you follow a low-carb and low-fat diet, as the sauce is made with soy sauce and tikka paste.
For more information, I’ve curated a list of nutritional value to watch out for before having a bowl of this delectable dish.
|Saturated Fat||3.8 g|
How to Store This Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice?
Storing Jamie Oliver prawns fried rice is straightforward. All you have to do is to transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to three to four days. If prawns are not added to the rice, it will keep well for up to seven days.
If you want to freeze prawns fried rice, it is as simple as storing cooked rice. All you have to do is to transfer fried rice to freezer bags and expel as much air as possible. Flatten the bags and keep them in the freezer for up to one month.
How To Reheat This Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice?
Heating prawns fried rice is quite simple. There are several ways to reheat it. Some of them are:
- In The Microwave – Transfer the fried rice to a microwave-safe container and warm the dish at regular intervals of thirty seconds. Stir the rice in between to ensure they are warm enough.
- In A Skillet – Add your leftovers in a skillet and reheat fried rice over medium-high heat.
- In The Oven – Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and add fried rice to the baking dish. Cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and reheat it in the oven for fifteen to twenty minutes. Make sure to stir the rice in between and add water if necessary.
What To Serve With This Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice?
Prawns fried rice is already fantastic, but eating it with these savory sides will complete your meal. Some of the options are:
- Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup – French onion soup is a classic choice with prawns fried rice. You can easily make this soup at home with simple ingredients. It will yield a light and delicate soup and a perfect appetizer for fried rice.
- Jamie Oliver Brussel Sprouts – Nothing can beat Brussels sprouts if you want to elevate your fried rice. Its beautiful and nutty flavor will complete your meal, yielding satisfaction.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Potatoes – Serve your mushroom pasta with Jamie Oliver roast potatoes. They are delicious and will surely give you a flavorful experience.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower – Roasted cauliflower will add texture and flavor to the meal. All you have to do is to toss the veggie in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and your preferred herbs, and roast them in the oven until tender and slightly caramelized.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Jamie Oliver prawns fried rice recipe. It is a healthier, easy, and one-skillet recipe you will love.
Besides this recipe, you can check out various Jamie Oliver recipes. Some are Jamie Oliver Gazpacho Soup, Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Salad, Jamie Oliver Chicken in Milk, Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta, and Jamie Oliver Easy Carbonara.
Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Chopping Board
- 150 g Basmati Rice
- 1 rasher Smoked Streaky Bacon
- 4 fresh Raw Prawns (peeled)
- ¼ pound Sausage
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chili Jam
- 1 teaspoon Tikka Paste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup Spring Onion
- ½ cup Broccoli
- ½ cup White Cabbage
- ½ cup Red Cabbage
- 1 teaspoon Bok Choy
- 320 g Carrot
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 small Ginger
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Pour beaten eggs into the pan and cook until the omelet is made.
- Take out the omelet and saute ginger and garlic in the same pan.
- Saute until fragrant and add prawns.
- Add sausage to the pan and cook.
- Now, add finely sliced smokey bacon to the pan.
- Cook everything until brown.
- Add half a cup of sliced spring onions, some broccoli florets, chopped bok choy, and some diced carrots and cook until soft.
- Next, add some shredded white and red cabbage.
- Gradually mix cooked rice into the pan containing the veggies and stir well.
- Pour in the curry tikka paste, a tablespoon of chili jam, and soy sauce.
- Give everything a good stir until everything is well coated.
- At last, layer prawns fried rice with the slices of egg omelet and serve.
- Your Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Jamie Oliver fried rice?
Jamie Oliver fried rice is a dish with rice, vegetables, and meat, typically chicken or pork. The dish is popular in China and Taiwan and is often served as a main meal or as a side dish.
What are some common variations of Jamie Oliver fried rice?
There are many variations of Jamie Oliver fried rice, but some of the most common include adding different vegetables or using meats such as beef or prawns. Other variations include adding spices or herbs to the dish or changing the type of rice used.
Is Jamie Oliver fried rice healthy?
Jamie Oliver fried rice is healthy if you prepare it with healthy ingredients such as lean meats and vegetables. However, it can also be unhealthy if made with processed meats and high-fat sauces.
What to serve with Jamie Oliver fried rice?
You could go the traditional route and pair it with some General Tso’s chicken. Or, you could get more adventurous and try it with Thai green curry or Vietnamese pho.
So, there you have it! Jamie Oliver’s iconic fried rice recipe. Jamie Oliver fried rice is a delicious and versatile dish that can be made with different ingredients.
Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be able to impress your friends and family with this delicious dish.