If you are looking for a soup that is creamy, smooth, and comforting, look no further than this recipe. Jamie Oliver French onion soup is smooth and delicious with crunchy French bread and creamy cheese.
Jamie Oliver is a well-known British chef and has many restaurants under his name. His recipe for the French soup is delicious and feels like a warm hug.
It makes for great comfort food with butter, herbs, bread, and cheese as some of its core ingredients.
To make French onion soup, heat butter and oil in a pan and add onions. When the onions are tender, add herbs and seasoning. Let it simmer.
Then, pour some in a serving bowl, top with bread, followed by cheese. Broil it until brown and serve.
You can also use Vidalia onion or any of its substitutes in this recipe. Try deglazing the pot with wine.
You can use either a dry white wine or a red wine, depending on whether you want your soup to have a lighter touch (white wine) or a richer flavor (red wine).
This was just a quick rundown of the recipe. Find the detailed recipe, with other information like ingredients, timings and nutritional content below.
But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs. Before you proceed with the recipe, check out the list of other Jamie Oliver recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes That You Can Try
- Jamie Oliver Toad In The Hole
- Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets
- Jamie Oliver Gazpacho
- Jamie Oliver Beef Stew
- Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Jamie Oliver Black Bean Soup
- Jamie Oliver Apple Crumble
- Jamie Oliver Bolognese
- Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta
- Jamie Oliver Steak Marinade
What Is So Special About Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup?
Jamie Oliver French onion soup is a classic recipe that is beloved by many people. Here are some reasons why it is considered special:
- Simplicity – Jamie Oliver’s recipe is simple and easy to follow. It uses basic ingredients and simple techniques to create a delicious and comforting soup.
- Flavor – The soup has rich and savory flavors, thanks to the caramelized onions, beef broth, and wine. The Gruyere cheese and toasted bread topping add flavor and texture.
- Tradition – The recipe is a classic version of French onion soup, enjoyed for centuries in France and worldwide. Jamie Oliver’s version stays true to the traditional flavors and ingredients, which adds to its authenticity.
- Comfort – French onion soup is a comfort food perfect for cold, dreary days. Jamie Oliver’s version is warm, satisfying, and comforting, making it a go-to recipe for many people.
Overall, Jamie Oliver French onion soup is a special recipe because it combines simplicity, tradition, and comfort to create a delicious and satisfying soup many loves.
What Are Tips To Make The Best French Onion Soup?
Here are some tips to help you make the best French onion soup:
- Use The Right Onions – The best onions for French onion soup are yellow. They have a strong flavor that pairs well with the beef broth and wine in the soup.
- Caramelize The Onions – The key to a delicious French onion soup is caramelizing them until they are brown and sweet. It takes time and patience, so don’t rush the process. Cook the onions over medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are soft, brown, and caramelized.
- Use Good-Quality Beef Broth – The broth is an important component of the soup, so use a good quality beef broth to enhance the flavor. If you have homemade beef broth, that would be ideal, but if not, try to choose a high-quality store-bought brand.
- Add Wine – A splash adds depth and complexity to the soup. Use red or white wine, depending on your preference, but use a dry variety.
- Use Gruyere Cheese – Gruyere cheese is traditional for French onion soup and adds a nutty, savory flavor to the soup. Shred the cheese finely and sprinkle it generously over the bread in the soup bowls before baking.
- Toast The Bread – Before adding it to the soup bowls. It gives the bread a crunchy texture that pairs well with the soft, melted cheese.
- Cook The Soup Slowly – After you add the broth and wine to the caramelized onions, let the soup simmer for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Following these tips, you can make a delicious and flavorful French Onion Soup that will warm you up on a cold day.
What Are The Alternatives To Wine In Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup?
If you prefer not to use wine in your French onion soup, or if you don’t have any on hand, there are some alternatives you can use to add flavor to the soup. Here are some options:
- Balsamic Vinegar – A splash of balsamic vinegar can add depth and tanginess to the soup. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar in place of the wine.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Like balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar can add a tangy flavor to the soup. Use 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar instead of the wine.
- Beer – If you enjoy beer’s flavor, you can use it instead of wine. Use a light or medium-bodied beer, such as a lager or ale, and use 1-2 cups instead of wine.
- Beef Broth – To keep the soup alcohol-free, use extra beef broth instead of wine. It will add more beef flavor to the soup and make it richer.
Remember to adjust the seasoning and the liquid quantity to your liking when using these alternatives.
Which Is The Best Cheese To Use For French Onion Soup?
The best cheese to use for French onion soup is Gruyere. Gruyere cheese is a type of Swiss cheese with a nutty and slightly sweet flavor, and it melts beautifully, creating a creamy and savory topping for the soup.
To use Gruyere cheese in French onion soup, slice or grate it and sprinkle it generously over the toasted bread before baking. Allow the cheese to melt and become golden and bubbly before serving.
If you can’t find Gruyere cheese, some other types of cheese that can work well in French onion soup include Swiss, Parmesan, or a combination of mozzarella and provolone.
However, remember that the flavor and texture will be different from using Gruyere, so the result might not be as traditional.
Choosing Onions For French Onion Soup
Choosing the right onions for French Onion Soup is crucial to the flavor and texture of the soup. Here are some tips to help you choose the best onions:
- Yellow Onions – Yellow onions are the traditional choice for French Onion Soup. They have a strong flavor and high sugar content, which makes them perfect for caramelizing.
- Choose Large Onions – You want to choose large ones with high water content. It will make them easier to caramelize and give the soup a richer flavor.
- Avoid Sweet Onions – Sweet onions like Vidalia onions are not ideal for French Onion Soup. They have a low sulfur content, so they won’t caramelize well or give the soup the depth of flavor it needs.
- Consider Mixing Onion Varieties: You can mix different types of onions, such as yellow and red, to give the soup a more complex flavor. Just make sure you adjust the cooking time for each type of onion.
Remember that the quality of the onions you choose will affect the soup’s flavor, so choosing the best onions you can find is important.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup?
- Oven – Broil the soup in the preheated oven until it turns brown and crispy.
- Oven Broiler – Place the oven-safe serving bowl on a broiler to provide high and direct heat much like a grill.
- Pot – Place a pot over medium heat and caramelize onions with butter and oil.
- Knife – Slice onion using a sharp knife for the recipe.
- Grater – Grate three types of cheese using a grater for topping.
- Spatula – Caramelize onion slices, stirring occasionally, using a spatula.
- Chopping Board – Slice the onion and grate the cheese on a chopping board to avoid mess.
- Serving Bowl – Pour the soup in a serving bowl and top it with grilled bread slice.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||50 Minutes||1 Hour 5 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup?
- Provolone Cheese – Top your soup with grated provolone cheese to add a kick of sharp taste with buttery and nutty flavors.
- Swiss Cheese – Swiss cheese will add a sweet, mild, and nutty taste with slightly yellow color and nutty aroma when melted.
- Parmesan Cheese – Parmesan cheese will add a kick of hard and gritty texture with fruity and nutty taste.
- Butter – Sautéing onions in butter will result in caramelized onion.
- Beef Broth – The beef broth will give the soup a much bolder flavor, making it thicker and saltier.
- Dry Sherry – Pour dry sherry while making soup to add nutty and saline flavor and moisture.
- Brandy – Brandy will bring a robust, distinct flavor to a dish.
- Olive Oil – Soften onion in olive oil for the recipe.
- Onion – Use yellow onions for French onion soup to give it a bit of sweetness, as it caramelizes when cooked.
- Flour – Use flour to thicken a soup. Put a tablespoon of either into a small bowl and stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of the soup until you have a smooth mixture.
- French Bread – Top the soup with grilled French bread to thicken it, giving buttery, sweet, and nutty taste.
- Dried Thyme – Add dried thyme while making soup to add an earthy, minty, and slightly lemony flavor.
- Pepper – The pepper will add spicy flavor to the overall soup.
- Salt – Adding salt in the soup will allow its flavors to blend into the entire soup.
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup
1. Start With Basics
Start by slicing onion vertically. The reason behind slicing an onion vertically is, it holds the shape better when cooked, which is particularly noticeable in caramelized onions.
Grate provolone, Swiss, and Parmesan cheese and keep it aside. Meanwhile, grill four slices of French bread on a broiler.
2. Caramelly Onion Is The Star
Now put a pot over medium heat and melt the butter with olive oil. Once the butter is melted and and olive oil is heated, add sliced onions.
Sprinkle some salt and continue sautéing it until brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
Once the onions are tender, pour in dry sherry wine. Afterwards add one tablespoon of flour, mix well, and cook for about a minute.
Now add in one liter of beef broth. Now add a bunch of thyme. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
Now, season it with salt and add a dash of brandy.
3. Broil The Soup
Preheat the oven broiler for 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle the soup in a serving bowl.
T build a crust, grill up some bread. Rub it with garlic and float on top of the soup.
Garnish grated provolone, Swiss, and Parmesan cheese on top of the bread. Place the bowl on the broiler.
Broil the soup until it turns brown and the crust is crispy for a minute or two. Serve immediately.
|Saturated Fat||8.1 g|
How Will Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup Look And Taste Like?
Jamie Oliver French onion soup is a classic dish that is perfect for winter. It is hearty and filling, and full of flavor. This soup is made with onions, beef stock, white wine, and thyme.
The flavor of French onion soup comes from the onions, which are cooked slowly to caramelize them. This gives the soup a deep, rich flavor.
So with every spoonful you get a piece of bread soaked with flavorful broth, melty cheese, and sweet-savory onions. It’s pretty epic.
Jamie Oliver French Onion Soup Recipe
- Oven Broiler
- Chopping Board
- Microwave-Safe Serving Bowl
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- 2 slices Swiss Cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Butter
- 4 cans Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoon Dry Sherry
- ½ cup Brandy
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 cups Onion
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 4 slices French Bread
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Start by slicing onion vertically.
- Grate provolone, Swiss, and Parmesan cheese and keep it aside.
- Now put a pot over medium heat and melt the butter with olive oil.
- Once the butter is melted and and olive oil is heated, add sliced onions.
- Sprinkle some salt and continue sautéing it until brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- Once the onions are tender, pour in dry sherry wine.
- Afterwards add one tablespoon of flour, mix well, and cook for about a minute.
- Now add in one liter of beef broth.
- Now add a bunch of thyme. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now, season it with salt and add a dash of brandy.
- Preheat the oven broiler for 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle the soup in a serving bowl.
- To build a crust, grill up some bread. Rub it with garlic and float on top of the soup.
- Garnish grated provolone, Swiss, and Parmesan cheese on top of the bread.
- Place the bowl on the broiler. Broil the soup until it turns brown and the crust is crispy for a minute or two.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is French onion soup?
French onion soup is a type of soup made with onions and beef broth, and typically served with croutons and cheese on top. It originated in France, and its earliest known mention is from 1789. The flavor of French onion soup comes from the onions, which are cooked slowly to caramelize them.
How do you make French onion soup?
To make a good French onion soup, you need to start with good quality beef broth and then cook the onions slowly over low heat until they are golden brown and caramelized. Finally, the soup is finished with a splash of white wine or cognac.
What makes French onion soup so special?
The main thing that sets French onion soup apart from other soups is the slow cooking of the onions to caramelize them. This gives the soup a deep, rich flavor that is unique and delicious.
Can I make French onion soup without wine or cognac?
Yes, you can make the soup without these ingredients if you prefer. However, they do add a bit of extra flavor that many people enjoy. If you want to try the soup with wine or cognac, we recommend using a dry white wine or a VSOP cognac.
I don’t have any beef broth, can I use chicken broth instead?
Yes, you can use chicken broth instead of beef broth if you prefer. However, keep in mind that chicken broth will give the soup a different flavor than beef broth.
Jamie Oliver French onion soup is a type of soup made with onions and beef broth, and typically served with croutons and cheese on top. The flavor of French onion soup comes from the onions, which are cooked slowly to caramelize them.
If you liked the recipe, tell me all about it. I would love to hear from you. Also, mention your suggestions and queries in the comments and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Till then, happy eating!