I wasn’t a big fan of eggplant when I tried Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan. It is an Italian dish with fried eggplant slices baked in layers with a rich tomato-based sauce and melted cheese. It’s a must-try dish that you can prepare at home with ease.
It is worth trying, no matter how laborious it is to make. I’m sure you will adore this recipe, too, when the fantastic saucy sauce and cheesy goodness come out of the oven. It is way more delicious than any other version. This exceptionally delightful dish is very light and flavorful.
Just keep one thing in mind: don’t skimp on salting the eggplants, or you will end up mushy and oily. Also, choose smooth eggplant for the best flavors and textures.
Lastly, follow the guide promptly for the exact flavors and textures. So, without further ado, note down all the recipe steps and prepare this flavorful eggplant parmesan. You will find a list of equipment, ingredients, steps with full-proof pictures, and other crucial information for the perfect dish.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Recipe?
This recipe is very close to Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan. The only difference is that we have pan-fried the eggplant pieces, but the chef has grilled the eggplant pieces. Else, we’ve used the same ingredients as the renowned chef does. It’s the same easy and oh-so-delicious recipe.
We were initially skeptical about this recipe, but it was the best eggplant dish I have ever had. It was yummy, and best of all, it was easy to prepare and healthy. All you have to do is follow this recipe guide thoroughly for the best results.
Is Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Different From Regular Eggplant Parmesan?
Yes, Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan differs significantly from the regular one. Jamie Oliver hasn’t breaded eggplant to make it crispy and crunchy as other chefs do. Also, he prefers to grill the veggies instead of baking or frying the eggplant.
Besides this, Jamie Oliver has used canned plum tomatoes to prepare the sauce, while other recipes use crushed tomatoes or fresh ones. Also, Jamie Oliver has added wine vinegar to the sauce, but you can find various milk recipes.
Why You’ll Love These Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan?
- We have skipped the breeding of eggplant, making eggplant gluten-free. It helps the eggplant’s flavor shine through.
- This dish might look cheesy, but we’ve only scattered cheese over the top.
- This Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan is easy to make as you don’t need fancy ingredients.
- It differs highly from the regular American eggplant parmesan.
Is This Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Vegan And Gluten Free?
No, this Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan is not vegan and gluten-free. This recipe contains parmesan and mozzarella cheese, which are dairy products. Other than this, it contains breadcrumbs, which is not gluten-free.
You can use a vegan Parmesan cheese substitute or omit it to make it vegan and gluten-free. Besides this, use gluten-free bread crumbs.
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan
- Oven – Bake the Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan in the oven for half an hour until golden brown.
- Saucepan – Prepare the tomato-based sauce in a saucepan by cooking the ingredients until softened.
- Frying Pan – Fry the eggplant in a frying pan until golden brown. Also, roast bread crumbs with a splash of olive oil in a frying pan.
- Knife – Slice your eggplant and chop the veggies into thin slices using a knife.
- Chopping Board – Place the veggies on a chopping board and chop them for fine cutting.
- Grater – Grate the cheese with a grater for a cheesy bite.
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Ingredients
- Aubergine or Eggplant – We’ve used soft and creamy eggplant for the recipe. It is sliced thinly and fried in a frying pan.
- Wine Vinegar – Bring out the sweetness in the tomato-based sauce by adding a splash of wine vinegar.
- Parmesan Cheese – Add a nutty and gritty texture to your eggplant parmesan by shredding parmesan cheese.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Grate mozzarella cheese to add milky, grassy, and tanginess to your dish.
- Olive Oil – Fry eggplant and prepare the sauce using olive oil.
- Onions – Thinly slice the red onion and saute them to add sweetness to the sauce.
- Garlic – Saute minced garlic until aromatic and translucent.
- Tomato Concasse – We’ve used canned tomatoes to add a deep red color, making the sauce firmer.
- Breadcrumbs – Toast breadcrumbs in a frying pan to help make the dish’s exterior crunchy and crispy.
- Oregano – Oregano will add a slightly bitter and spicy flavor to the recipe.
- Basil – Basil leaves will help balance the sauce by adding a sweet and savory flavor.
- Salt – Enhance the taste of the sauce by adding a pinch of salt.
- Pepper – Spice up your sauce and bring out its bold flavors by adding a bit of black pepper.
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Ingredients Substitutions
- Eggplant – We’ve used eggplant (aubergines) in this recipe for the authentic taste, but you can substitute it with zucchini, yellow squash, or portobello mushrooms.
- Red Wine Vinegar – You can use lemon juice or white wine vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.
- Parmesan Cheese – Try this recipe with asiago, Romano, or Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Olive Oil – Add another vegetable oil, such as avocado, canola, or grapeseed, which you can use instead of olive oil.
- Onion – You can use a shallot or leek instead of an onion.
- Garlic – You can use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, but the flavor will be less intense.
- Dried Oregano – Fresh oregano can be used instead of dried oregano, but use three times as much fresh oregano as dried.
- Crushed Tomatoes – We have used crushed tomatoes or tomato concasse, but chopped fresh tomatoes would be fine, too. However, it would help if you thicken the sauce for half an hour.
- Fresh Basil – Use dried basil instead of fresh basil, but increase the amount by one-third as much dried basil as new.
- Bread Crumbs – We have used freshly prepared bread crumbs for the best results. But Italian panko bread crumbs or crushed crackers are fine, too.
Do You Have To Peel The Eggplant Before Cooking This Recipe?
To prepare eggplant parmesan, you don’t have to peel eggplant, but many people prefer to do so. The reason behind peeling its skin is that the skin of larger eggplants is tougher and bitter. So, people generally peel the eggplant to make the dish more tender and flavorful.
If you decide to peel the eggplant, there are a few ways to do it. You can use a vegetable peeler, a sharp knife, or a serrated knife. If you are using a knife, be careful not to cut yourself. To peel an eggplant with a vegetable peeler, start at one end and peel the skin off in long strips.
To peel an eggplant with a knife, cut off the stem end and then cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. Use the knife to slice the skin off each eggplant’s half. Once the eggplant is peeled, cut it into slices or cubes for your eggplant parmesan recipe. One thing to note is that peeling the eggplant is a good idea if you are frying the eggplant.
Should You Soak Your Eggplant In Milk Before This Recipe?
You can soak the eggplant in milk before cooking. It is generally recommended to wash your eggplant in milk. The reason is it helps remove bitterness and create a creamier texture when it is cooked.
However, we have yet to soak eggplant in milk as it can make eggplant soggy. Ultimately, deciding whether to soak eggplant in milk before cooking eggplant parmesan is up to you.
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||50 Minutes||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Recipe Steps
Step 1- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
Step 2- Place eggplant pieces in a single layer in a frying pan and fry until golden brown.
Step 3- Next, in a pot, saute minced garlic until translucent.
Step 4- Add chopped onion and cook until soft.
Step 5- Add the tomato flesh to the onion pot and cook for 15 minutes until thickened and reduced.
Step 6- Sprinkle half a tablespoon of oregano, pour a tiny swig of wine vinegar, and pick in the basil.
Step 7- Season with salt and pepper.
Step 8- Toast the breadcrumbs with olive oil and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese in a frying pan.
Step 9- Spoon a layer of prepared tomato sauce into a baking dish.
Step 10- Layer it with fried aubergines, followed by fine-grated Parmesan cheese.
Step 11- Repeat the layers until you’ve used all the ingredients. Sprinkle toasted breadcrumbs over the top.
Step 12- Tear over the mozzarella cheese.
Step 13- Bake at 180°C for twenty minutes until golden, crisp, and bubbly.
Tips To Make This Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Better
- We suggest slicing the eggplant evenly. It helps them to cook evenly; otherwise, not all pieces would be cooked!
- Other than this, cut the fresh mozzarella evenly to get even melting and browning.
- Don’t buy pre-grated cheese from the stores. Freshly grate them to get a nice chunk of this cheese.
- We haven’t added coated eggplant slices with a thick panko coating. But you are free to opt for this technique. It will add a yummy, crispy layer!
- If you’re breading the eggplant slices, drizzle them with a lug of olive oil to get a nicely golden brown and crispy texture.
- Slightly salt the eggplant before cooking them for a beautiful flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying the eggplant, or they won’t cook evenly. Also, cook them sparingly, or you will get a tough bite.
- Soak the eggplant in milk before frying to reduce the bitterness of the eggplant and make it creamier.
- Add a unique flavor by adding some herbs and spices to the breading mixture.
How Will This Eggplant Parmesan Look And Taste Like?
Recreating Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan was a classic experience. It was both delicious and visually appealing. We were initially skeptical about its taste, but when our chef removed the baking dish from the oven, it was decked with layers of fried eggplant, sauce, and cheese.
It had a crispy and golden brown crust. The eggplant was tender and chewy, while the tomato-based sauce was rich and flavorful. The cheese was melted and gooey, adding a touch of creaminess to the dish.
As for taste, it was flavorful. The eggplant rendered a slightly sweet and nutty flavor, while the tangy tomato sauce and the salty cheese perfectly complemented each other. The breading added a crispy texture and a subtle taste of herbs and spices.
Why Is My Eggplant Parmesan Mushy?
It felt wrong when, after investing an hour in a dish, the result turned unexpected. Similarly, if your eggplant parmesan turns mushy, you need to know why it happened. Well, we’ve jotted a few pointers that might be one of the reasons:
- Eggplant parmesan may become mushy if eggplant is overcooked. So, cook the eggplant until it is tender but still has a bit of bite.
- If the eggplant plant slices are not fried well, it will affect your dish. So, use enough oil to coat the eggplant slices, and ensure the oil is hot before frying.
- If you use less tomato sauce, your eggplant parmesan will likely become mushy. Use the sauce in limited quantity to coat the eggplant slices and create a thin layer between the layers of eggplant and cheese.
- The breading helps to protect the eggplant from the oil and sauce, and it also helps to give it a crispy texture. Make sure to use a generous amount of breading on the eggplant slices.
- When the eggplant parmesan comes out of the oven, it is essential to rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving. It will give the cheese time to set and the flavors to meld together.
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Nutritional Values
This Bobby Flay eggplant bolognese is unhealthy as the slices are fried instead of baked. Also, it contains cheese on each layer, adding calories. So, before heading toward it, take a look at the table below:
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6 g|
Can You Make This Eggplant Parmesan Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make Jamie Oliver’s Eggplant Parmesan in advance. For this,
prepare the dish and don’t bake it. Then, cover the dish with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate it overnight. Make sure to let the fried eggplant cool completely before storing it.
How To Store This Eggplant Parmesan Properly?
To properly store Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan, let it cool completely, then cover it with plastic wrap or foil. Next, refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
If you are not ready to consume it within three days, you can freeze it too. For this, let the eggplant parmesan cool completely. Then, wrap it with plastic wrap or foil and freeze it for up to two months.
But make sure you are not storing it in an airtight container. Else, your dish may spoil.
Can You Reheat This Eggplant Parmesan?
Yes, you can reheat Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan. For this:
- In The Oven – Place the eggplant parmesan in a baking dish and cover it with plastic wrap. At last, bake the eggplant parmesan for about half an hour.
- In The Microwave – Place the eggplant parmesan on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a damp paper towel. Then, microwave it on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
What To Serve With This Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan?
Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan can be served as it is. We’ve curated a list of recipes that pair perfectly with this Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan. They are:
- Jamie Oliver Yorkshire Pudding – Yorkshire pudding is excellent with cheesy Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan. Jamie Oliver’s Yorkshire pudding recipe is top-rated, and it’s the kind of dish you can chuck in the oven and be rewarded within a few hours.
- Jamie Oliver Roast Potatoes – Jamie Oliver roast potatoes have satisfying crispy bits. It pairs well with the tender, flaky, and cheesy eggplant parmesan.
- Jamie Oliver Salmon Recipe – If you want a creative starter option, try making eggplant parmesan and serving it with a cut of fried salmon and a little cream cheese.
- Jamie Oliver Black Bean Soup – Spread eggplant parmesan with black bean soup for the best flavors! This Jamie Oliver black bean soup recipe is perfect for soup lovers. It is made with creamy beans, vegetables, and spices. It is the most satiating soup you will ever try with cheesy eggplant parmesan.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Jamie Oliver’s eggplant parmesan recipe. All you have to do is to follow this guide thoroughly for the best flavors.
Other than this, you can try various Jamie Oliver’s reicpes. Some of them are Jamie Oliver roast chicken, Jamie Oliver roasted potatoes, Jamie Oliver apple crumble, Jamie Oliver mushroom risotto, Jamie Oliver pesto chicken pasta, and Jamie Oliver chicken in milk.
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Chopping Board
- 3 medium-large Eggplants or Aubergines (cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1 knob Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 can Tomatoes
- 1 large Garlic (thinly sliced)
- ⅓ cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
- ½ cup Basil Leaves
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Place eggplant pieces in a single layer in a frying pan and fry until golden brown.
- Next, in a pot, saute minced garlic until translucent.
- Add chopped onion and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato flesh to the onion pot and cook for 15 minutes until thickened and reduced.
- Sprinkle half a tablespoon of oregano, pour a tiny swig of wine vinegar, and pick in the basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the breadcrumbs with olive oil and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese in a frying pan.
- Spoon a layer of prepared tomato sauce into a baking dish.
- Layer it with fried aubergines, followed by fine-grated Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layers until you’ve used all the ingredients. Sprinkle toasted breadcrumbs over the top.
- Tear over the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 180°C for twenty minutes until golden, crisp, and bubbly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan?
Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan is a dish made with eggplants, Parmesan cheese, and tomato sauce.
How do you make Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan?
The eggplants are first sliced and then fried. Once they are cooked, they are layered with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. The dish is baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
What are the ingredients in Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan?
The ingredients in this dish include eggplants, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and basil leaves.
Is Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan healthy?
The dish is relatively healthy, made with vegetables and lean protein (Parmesan cheese). However, you should note that it contains bread crumbs which add carbohydrates and calories.
Can this dish be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time. Prepare all the ingredients and assemble the dish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake as directed before serving.
What can I serve with this dish?
This dish can be served with a simple salad or some crusty bread.
If you’re looking for a delicious, hearty dish, you’ll love Jamie Oliver eggplant parmesan. The eggplant is roasted to perfection, and the parmesan sauce is creamy and cheesy. Be sure to like and comment if you try it!