Jamie Oliver cottage pie is a delicious and hearty dish that can please the pickiest eaters. So if you’re looking for something comforting and flavorful, this dish is worth trying.
Cottage pie is a traditional English dish that dates back to the 18th century. It is made with minced meat, potatoes, carrots, and peas and is typically topped with a pastry crust or mashed potatoes.
Jamie Oliver’s twist on this classic dish includes adding Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and thyme.
Start by browning the minced beef in a pan. Add chopped veggies, salt, and pepper. Pour red wine and sauce and cook for a few more minutes.
Transfer the beef mixture to the dish, and top with mashed potatoes and grated butter. Bake the dish for a minimum of half an hour.
You can brown the beef in a frying pan for a richer flavor before adding it to the pie dish. You can add peas or corn to the filling if you want a bit of extra veg in your pie.
For a gluten-free version, substitute the flour for gluten-free flour. If you’re short on time, you can use pre-made mashed potatoes for the topping.
To make a vegetarian version of this dish, omit the beef stock and use vegetable stock instead.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you on how to make this tasty dish, as well as some tips and variations. So, whether you’re a pie lover or a seasoned pro, this blog post is for you. Before you proceed with the recipe, check out the list of other Jamie Oliver recipes.
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes That You Can Try
- Jamie Oliver Seafood Linguine
- Jamie Oliver Ricotta Fritters
- Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Bolognese
- Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Carbonara
- Jamie Oliver Cabbage Coleslaw
- Jamie Oliver Lasagna
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower
- Jamie Oliver Eggplant Parmesan
- Jamie Oliver Gnocchi
- Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk
What Is The Difference Between Cottage Pie And Shepherd’s Pie?
The terms “cottage pie” and “shepherd’s pie” are often used interchangeably, but there is a difference between the two dishes.
Both are savory pies made with ground meat and vegetables, typically topped with mashed potatoes, but the type of meat used in each dish distinguishes the two.
Cottage pie is made with ground beef, while shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb. The name “cottage pie” dates back to the 18th century when it was a common dish for peasants or “cottagers”.
Shepherd’s pie on the other hand, is named for the shepherds who tended flocks of sheep in the English countryside.
While both pies are hearty and filling, cottage pie has a richer flavor due to the beef, while shepherd’s pie has a milder flavor thanks to the lamb.
Other than that, the two dishes are fairly similar in ingredients and preparation. So whether you call it cottage pie or shepherd’s pie, you can be sure you’re in for a delicious and satisfying meal.
What Are The Tips To Make The Jamie Oliver’s Cottage Pie?
Regarding classic comfort food, few dishes can compete with a steaming hot cottage pie. This savory dish, traditionally made with beef and topped with creamy mashed potatoes, is the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold winter.
If you’re looking to make your cottage pie at home, there are a few things you can do to ensure it turns out perfectly. Here are our top tips: Follow these tips, and you’ll surely have a delicious cottage pie that everyone will love!
- Use Good Quality Beef – This ensures your cottage pie has lots of flavor. Look for beef with a good marbling of fat throughout, as this will help keep the meat moist during cooking.
- Season The Beef Well – Be generous with your seasoning, as this will help to bring out the flavor of the meat. Add salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices you like.
- Cook The Beef Slowly – Slow cooking is essential for tender, flavorful beef. Brown the beef in a pan over high heat until it’s evenly browned, then transfer it to a low-heat oven and cook for several hours until it’s very tender.
- Use Fresh Ingredients For The Topping – For the best-tasting mashed potatoes, use fresh rather than instant mash. Boil them until soft, then mash them with butter, milk, and seasonings to taste. You could add some grated cheese or chopped herbs for extra flavor.
- Brown The Top Of The Pie – Once you’ve assembled your cottage pie and added the mashed potato topping, run a fork over it to create ridges. Then brush the top with some beaten egg and put it under a hot grill until golden brown and crispy.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Cottage Pie?
- Oven – Bake in the oven for twenty-twenty five minutes or until golden brown.
- Oven-Proof Dish – Transfer the beef mixture to an oven-proof dish for a perfect pie and spread it out evenly.
- Frying Pan – You must brown the beef in a frying pan over high heat.
- Knife – Chop the veggies with a sharp knife into small pieces.
- Chopping Board – Dice the veggies and beef on a chopping board for easy cutting.
- Spatula – Spread the beef mixture evenly with a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Cottage Pie?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||2 Hours||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Cottage Pie?
For Cottage Pie
- Beef – Beef will add umami when browned in a frying pan.
- Tomato Puree – The tomato purée will play a role in the dish’s flavor, providing a hint of sweetness that helps balance the meat’s savories.
- Beef Stock – The beef stock gives the dish a hearty depth of flavor.
- Red Wine – Wine will marinate meat and veggies and help bring bolder flavors, making the pie crispy.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire sauce will add a powerful umami flavor.
- Onion – Add chopped onions while browning the beef to add sweetness.
- Carrots – Carrots will add tender and savory sweetness to the dish.
- Garlic – Minced garlic will add a spicy flavor to the pie.
- Olive Oil – Cook the veggies in olive oil until brown and crispy.
- Peas – The peas will add both sweet and savory notes.
- All-purpose Flour – For a tender and flaky crust, use all-purpose flour.
- Thyme Leaves – The thyme leaves add a touch of earthiness.
- Celery – The stalks will add a mild, sweetish, and aromatic taste.
- Salt – Sprinkle salt while making the dish to enhance its flavors.
- Pepper – Pepper will add a spicy flavor that pairs well with any dish.
- Potatoes – Garnish the cottage pie with thinly spiced potatoes.
- Butter – A generous dollop of butter ensures that the mashed potatoes are rich and creamy.
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver Cottage Pie
1. The Beginning
The first step in making Jamie Oliver cottage pie is to preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Then, you must brown the minced beef in a frying pan over high heat. Once the meat is browned, add chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, and flour to the pan and stir well.
2. The Making
Next, add the beef stock and red wine to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, add the frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Assembling The Pie
Now it’s time to assemble your cottage pie! Transfer the beef mixture to an oven-proof dish and spread it out evenly.
Then, top with mashed potatoes and grated butter. Make sure to press the edges of the pastry down so that it seals well.
Finally, bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
|Saturated Fat||4.4 g|
How Will Jamie Oliver Cottage Pie Look And Taste Like?
When you sit down to enjoy a piping hot plate of Jamie Oliver cottage pie, you will first use garlic, carrots, and onions, which give the dish a complex and savory taste.
The result is a cottage pie packed with flavor that will satisfy you. As for the topping, Jamie Oliver cottage pie features a creamy mashed potato and parsnip topping.
How To Freeze And Store Cottage Pie?
Cottage pie can be made ahead of time and frozen for later. To freeze, completely cool the pie and wrap it tightly in plastic or aluminium foil. Label and date the pie before freezing. Cottage pie will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat a frozen cottage pie, remove it from the freezer and thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Cover the pie with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until heated through.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Jamie Oliver Cottage Pie Recipe
- Oven-Proof Dish
- Frying Pan
- Chopping Board
For Cottage Pie
- 500 grams Beef (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Purée
- 300 grams Beef Stock
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Carrots (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Frozen Peas
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Thyme Leaves
- 1 sprig Celery (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 large Potato (peeled and cut into small dice)
- 2 sticks Butter (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Brown the beef in a pan over high heat.
- Add chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, and flour to the pan once the beef is browned.
- Add the beef stock and red wine to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- After boiling it, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the frozen peas, season them with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture to an oven-proof dish and spread it out evenly.
- Then, top with mashed potatoes and butter. Make sure to press the edges of the pastry down so that it seals well.
- Finally, bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Jamie Oliver cottage pie?
Jamie Oliver cottage pie is a dish with beef, potatoes, carrots, and peas, typically topped with mashed potatoes. It is a popular comfort food in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
How do you make Jamie Oliver cottage pie?
The traditional way to make Jamie Oliver cottage pie is to cook the beef and vegetables in a gravy or stew, then top it with mashed potatoes and bake in the oven. However, this dish has many variations, so feel free to experiment!
What’s the difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie?
The only difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie is that cottage pie is made with beef, while shepherd’s pie is made with lamb. Other than that, they are very similar dishes!
Can I make Jamie Oliver cottage pie ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Jamie Oliver cottage pie ahead of time. Just cook the beef and vegetables, assemble the pie and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
What is the meaning of cottage pie?
A cottage pie is a dish containing layers of small pieces of meat covered with a thick layer of mashed potatoes.
Does cottage pie contain vegetables?
A cottage pie is a meat pie made of potatoes, veggies, beef, and stock. Traditionally, cottage pie has a sliced potato crust topping, but you can use mashed potatoes as an alternative.
Jamie Oliver cottage pie is a delicious and hearty dish perfect for a winter meal. It is topped with a creamy mashed potato and parsnip topping, and the dish is then finished with a generous dollop of butter and milk.
The dish is easy-to-make and is served with a side of green beans or a salad.