Who doesn’t love chicken nuggets? They are so good, crispy, juicy, and flavorful. If you’re a fan of chicken nuggets, then you should try Jamie Oliver-style chicken nuggets. When you try this recipe, you’ll forget McDonald’s. I mean, when I say this.
Jamie Oliver chicken nuggets are the perfect great snack. These nuggets are made with the freshest and quality ingredients to deliver light, crispy, juicy, and delicious appetizers. The best of all is you can easily make them at home. Trust me, this recipe will become your favorite go-to snack whenever you want something comforting.
These nuggets are very different from the regular ones, as our chef has marinated the chicken. This extra step is worth the effort. This technique will yield you delicious nuggets. They are far better than the regular ones.
So, without any further ado, try these ultra-crispy chicken nuggets immediately. But before jumping right to the recipe card, be well-versed in the information related to this recipe. You’ll find tips, nutritional values, an equipment list, and many other details necessary to learn.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Jamie Oliver chicken nugget recipe. We have followed the same steps as Jamie Oliver. The result is amazing and commendable.
The nuggets are super crispy as we have marinated them. They have a perfect golden-brown exterior with a crunchy bite. As and when we tasted it, it was an explosion of mixed flavors. This homemade version of Jamie Oliver chicken nuggets is sure to try.
Is There Any Difference Between Regular Nuggets and Jamie Oliver Nuggets Recipe?
Yes, Jamie Oliver’s chicken nugget is different from the regular ones. Jamie Oliver advocates for healthy eating and focuses on using high-quality and fresh ingredients. At the same time, regular nuggets are likely to be made with pre-packaged and processed ingredients.
Regular nuggets are generally coated with a flour mixture which is highly unhealthy. Whereas Jamie Oliver coated chicken pieces with homemade breadcrumbs, which allows room for customization.
Besides this, Jamie Oliver promotes healthier cooking methods. Hence, his nugget recipe involves baking the nuggets instead of deep frying them. This reduces the amount of oil and fat in the dish.
Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Recipe?
When you get chicken nuggets from restaurants, they aren’t healthier. So making Jamie Oliver-style chicken nuggets at home is the only option. However, it takes time, but you’ll love them. There are other various reasons to love this recipe.
- Super Addictive – We dip chicken pieces in flour and egg mixture and then bread with breadcrumbs. But this recipe involves bringing the chicken, yielding highly juicy and tender chicken nuggets.
- Healthy – This recipe is more beneficial as baked in the oven than fried. Also, it is not heavily coated with flour.
- Easy – One added advantage of this recipe is it is elementary to prepare. However, it takes time, but it has a crispy outside and juicy inside.
Equipment Used For Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets
- Oven – Bake the coated chicken pieces in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
- Baking Tray – Transfer the prepared chicken pieces to a baking tray.
- Greaseproof Paper – To avoid sticking, put the nuggets on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bowl – Prepare the marinade for the chicken pieces with garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, and spices.
- Slotted Spoon – Transfer the chicken pieces into the prepared crumbs with a slotted spoon to coat them evenly.
- Knife – Cut the chicken breasts into nugget-sized portions using a sharp knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop chicken breasts into nugget-sized portions on a chopping board.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Ingredients
For The Marinade
- Chicken Breasts – To make Jamie Oliver-style chicken nuggets, use chicken breasts for the best texture and color.
- Greek Yogurt – Yogurt is added to the marinade mixture to help tenderize the meat, allowing it to be pulled apart.
- Egg – Eggs will help maintain the moisture content of the meat, tenderizing it.
- Lemon Juice – Squeeze lemon juice in the marinade to tenderize the chicken, resulting in super flavorful, vibrant, juicy, tender chicken.
- Garlic – Add peeled and crushed garlic cloves to the marinade to break down the meat and salt to draw out its liquid.
- Sweet Smoked Paprika – Sprinkle sweet paprika in the marinade for slightly sweet notes and vivid red color, brightening the chicken.
- Salt – Sprinkle salt while marinating the chicken breasts to enhance the flavor.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper is added for a spicy kick.
For The Crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese – Mix grated parmesan cheese with crumbs for an extra cheesy flavor, helping the crumbs stick to the meat.
- Breadcrumbs – Use breadcrumbs to give your nuggets a finer crust with a lighter and crunchier texture.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is added to the crumbs to let the breading stick to the nuggets.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Ingredients Substitutions
The ingredients used in this recipe are straightforward and similar to Jamie Oliver’s. But, if you don’t have any elements handy or want to swap any for the experiment, look at these options.
- Chicken – We’ve used chicken breasts to make Jamie Oliver chicken nuggets. However, you can use chicken thighs for tastier nuggets. But they take a lot of work to handle.
- Breadcrumbs – Our chef has freshly prepared breadcrumbs mixture as Jamie Oliver to coat the chicken nuggets. But, if you don’t have enough time to prepare breadcrumbs, you can use crushed cornflakes or panko breadcrumbs as alternatives.
- Seasonings – Feel free to experiment with different spices combinations, such as garlic powder, onion powder, and dried herbs, for some heat and added flavor.
- Binding Agent – Our chef has used eggs to bind the pieces with coating. But, if you don’t have eggs, use buttermilk, yogurt, or a mixture of flour and water as a substitute if you want a dairy-free option.
- Cooking Method – We’ve baked the nuggets for the best flavor and texture. If you prefer not to bake the nuggets, pan-fry them or use an air fryer for a healthier alternative.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Resting Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||1 Hour||30 Minutes||1 Hour 50 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Recipe Steps
Step 1- Cut all the chicken breasts into nugget-sized portions and transfer them to a bowl.
Step 2- Add one tablespoon of yogurt to the bowl.
Step 3- Break one egg into the bowl.
Step 4- Season it with a good paprika, salt, and black pepper pinch.
Step 5- Freshly squeeze lemon over the chicken breasts.
Step 6- Use your hands to mix it up and marinate in the fridge for an hour.
Step 7- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine grated parmesan cheese with half a cup of breadcrumbs.
Step 8- Add half a teaspoon of olive oil and mix it well.
Step 9- Using forks, transfer the pieces into the crumbs.
Step 10- Now, gently flick crumbs over each piece so they’re well coated.
Step 11- Transfer the coated nuggets to a baking tray.
Step 12- Pop the tray in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crispy.
Step 13- Your Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets are ready.
Tips To Make These Chicken Nuggets Better
Brining chicken is critical to making super juicy chicken nuggets. This way, your chicken nuggets will never dry. Your guests will love how tender they are! Still, you can make Jamie Oliver chicken nuggets better. Here are a few tips to keep in mind while preparing this recipe.
- Choosing The Chicken – When making chicken nuggets at home, select the best chicken for the best results. We’ve used chicken breasts as it will give you the best texture and flavor. Once you’ve chicken breasts, cut them into uniform pieces. However, you can also use any meat, but it won’t provide the exact flavor.
- Choosing The Spices – We’ve used a combination of lemon zest, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper for a burst of flavor. But you can make this recipe differently by switching spices up a bit. Try using Italian seasoning or adding some dried thyme and oregano.
- Breadcrumbs – There are endless options for breading your chicken nuggets. You can make breadcrumbs at home from leftover bread. Pre-packaged bread crumbs are also acceptable. You can also go with panko bread crumbs for a finer crust with a lighter and crunchier exterior.
- Marinating The Chicken – Marinating chicken nuggets before baking them adds extra flavor and moisture. We’ve kept it simple, but you can use buttermilk or your choice of seasonings to enhance the taste and tenderness of the chicken.
- Double Coating – We’ve coated chicken nuggets once, but to achieve a crispier and more substantial crust, consider double coating the chicken.
- Proper Cooking Temperature – Whether baking or frying the chicken nuggets, ensure the cooking temperature is appropriate to achieve a golden-brown and crispy exterior.
- Preheat The Oven – If baking the nuggets, ensure your oven is properly preheated to ensure even cooking and browning. On the other hand, if you’re frying chicken nuggets, ensure the oil is heated well before adding the chicken to avoid greasiness.
How Will These Chicken Nuggets Look And Taste Like?
Making Jamie Oliver-style chicken nuggets is fun. It is healthy, easy, and flavorful. We made this recipe in our studio, and the result was commendable.
These chicken nuggets had a golden-brown crust. It was crispy and had a slightly textured appearance. Talking of their taste, they had a savory and mild flavor with a pleasant crunch at each bite.
We have used a combination of paprika, garlic, and lemon zest to give these chicken nuggets an irresistible taste. These are nice, crispy, and juicy.
Why Are These Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Soggy?
It’s excess moisture that makes chicken nuggets soggy. When chicken nuggets are frozen and when you thaw them, the moisture content traps nuggets. But when you put a paper towel under the chicken nuggets when you microwave them, it absorbs the moisture keeping it away from nuggets being soggy.
Besides this, various reasons make these Jamie Oliver chicken nuggets soggy. Some of them are:
- Chicken nuggets may get soggy when not baked on a wire rack. The wire rack is essential as it will allow hot air to circulate, releasing excess moisture.
- When the baking wire is overcrowded, it makes chicken nuggets soggy. So, leave a little space between each piece of chicken so that the hot air can circulate evenly throughout the pieces.
- If you stack the chicken nuggets once baked, you’ll lose a crispy exterior, making them soggy. So, remember to line them in a single layer.
- If your chicken pieces are not thoroughly breaded, they may become soggy. So, bread each piece of chicken thoroughly with the breading mixture.
- Don’t pop your chicken nuggets before they are sprayed with cooking spray. It will make them soggy. To make them crispy, it is essential to spray the breadcrumbs and assembled chicken nuggets with cooking spray or oil.
Can You Air-Fry These Nuggets As Well?
Yes, you can air-fry these chicken nuggets instead of baking or frying them. Air-frying method is prevalent nowadays as it uses less oil and is comparatively healthier. This method will provide you with a golden-brown and crispy texture.
Are Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Healthy?
Jamie Oliver’s chicken nuggets are healthy when prepared as per his instructions. Also, this recipe contains no additives, preservatives, or sodium. Besides, we’ve baked nuggets instead of deep-frying them with less oil. However, see the information below to learn more about its nutritional value.
|Saturated Fat||2.4 g|
How To Store These Chicken Nuggets?
- Allow the baked chicken nuggets to cool to room temperature. It will help to avoid condensation, which can cause sogginess.
- Once they are cooled, store them in an airtight container, a sealable plastic bag, or securely wrapped in aluminum foil. If you have a lot of chicken nuggets, split them into single layers or use parchment paper between each layer to keep them from sticking together.
- Once completed, select the appropriate storage option:
- Refrigerate them for 2 to 3 days.
- Freeze the chicken nuggets if you want to keep them longer. To achieve the best results, individually wrap each chicken nugget or arrange them in a single layer before freezing and store them for 2 to 3 months.
How To Reheat These Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets?
When you are ready to enjoy chicken nuggets, start thawing them by placing them in a refrigerator overnight. Alternatively, you can soften them by using a microwave or oven.
Then reheat the nuggets using the oven, air fryer, or pan. Reheat them until the chunks are thoroughly heated and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
What To Serve With These Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets?
These chicken nuggets are the perfect side dish or appetizer. You can serve them with various delicious side dishes or accompaniments. Consider a few options below:
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower – Pair the chicken nuggets with roasted cauliflower for a balanced and nutritious meal. Try Jamie Oliver’s roasted cauliflower for a smokey flavor with crispy nuggets.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Potatoes – Prepare some crispy oven-roasted potatoes as a classic and popular side dish. This side pairs perfectly with chicken nuggets.
- Jamie Oliver Coleslaw – Serve a refreshing coleslaw salad to provide a cool and crunchy contrast to the chicken nuggets. This Jamie Oliver-style coleslaw is no less than the original recipe.
- Jamie Oliver Macaroni And Cheese – Macaroni and cheese are a popular option if you’re looking for a comforting and indulgent side dish. The creamy, cheesy pasta pairs well with the chicken nuggets and can be a hit for kids and adults.
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Jamie Oliver-style chicken nugget recipe. This is the exact Jamie Oliver chicken nugget recipe. You will get the same flavors and textures as recommended by the chef. All you have to do is go by the guide thoroughly and enjoy the crispy nuggets at home.
Besides this, we have more Jamie Oliver recipes that you might like. Some are Jamie Oliver Chicken in Milk, Jamie Oliver Prawns Fried Rice Recipe, Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta, Gordon Ramsay Braised Cabbage, and Gordon Ramsay Chimichurri.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Baking Tray
- Greaseproof Paper
- Slotted Spoon
- Chopping Board
For The Marinade
- 1 kg Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 tablespoon Greek Yoghurt (heaped)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Lemon (for juice and zest)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Smoked Paprika
For The Crumbs
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- 50 g Parmesan Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Olive Oil
- Cut all the chicken breasts into nugget-sized portions and transfer them to a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of yogurt to the bowl.
- Break one egg into the bowl.
- Season it with a good paprika, salt, and black pepper pinch.
- Freshly squeeze lemon over the chicken breasts.
- Use your hands to mix it up and marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine grated parmesan cheese with half a cup of breadcrumbs.
- Add half a teaspoon of olive oil and mix it well.
- Using forks, transfer the pieces into the crumbs.
- Now, gently flick crumbs over each piece so they’re well coated.
- Transfer the coated nuggets to a baking tray.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Your Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets are ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts?
No, you can use any chicken that you like. However, we recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the best results.
Can I use any breadcrumbs?
Yes, you can use any breadcrumb that you like. However, for the best results, we recommend using Panko breadcrumbs.
Can I use any cheese?
Yes, you can use any cheese that you like. However, for the best results, we recommend using Parmesan cheese.
How do you make crispy nuggets?
The secret to crispy chicken nuggets is to coat them with a thin layer of oil and then bake them.
After trying out the recipe for myself, it was pretty good! Jamie Oliver’s chicken nuggets are nice and crispy, and the chicken is juicy and flavorful.
If you’re looking for a good chicken nugget recipe, I recommend trying this one. Be sure to share your experience in the comments, and remember to like and subscribe.