We’ve shared various pasta recipes with you, but this Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is one of our favorites. It’s incredibly delicious and easy to make. Above that, it’s excellent for a quick weeknight dinner and elevates our dining experience.
This homemade version of Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta has earthy flavors. It is loaded with green veggies, making it nutritious. This broccoli pasta has a little cheesy flavor and is very yummy. The broccoli is cooked with the pasta and then mixed with spices to make it a perfect dish.
One thing to note is this recipe is made with no cream, so it is very different from the traditional broccoli pasta. Also, we’ve not boiled broccoli florets. Instead, we have cooked it with pasta strands, which makes it delicious.
So, take your time with the steps, or you won’t get exact flavors and textures. Keep it slow and go by the guide. So, try this recipe now and serve it to your friends over dinner. This may become one of our favorite ways to eat mushrooms.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Recipe?
This recipe is very close to Jamie Oliver’s broccoli pasta. The only difference is that we have boiled broccoli and pasta separately before preparing the recipe. Else, we’ve used the same ingredients as the renowned chef does. It’s the same one-pot recipe.
We were initially skeptical about this recipe, but it was the best comfort food. It was delicious, and best of all, it was easy to prepare. All you have to do is to follow this recipe guide thoroughly for the best results.
How is Jamie Oliver’s Broccoli Pasta Different From Regular Broccoli Pasta?
Jamie Oliver’s broccoli pasta is very different from the regular one. Jamie Oliver has used orecchiette pasta as this ear-shaped pasta can help sauce and veggies nestle inside each strand. At the same time, other recipes use rigatoni pasta, fusilli, or macaroni.
Other than this, other recipes call for boiling broccoli florets beforehand, while Jamie Oliver cooks the florets and pasta together. This way, you can taste each ingredient. Also, Jamie Oliver focuses on using simple ingredients that can be found easily in your pantry.
Why You’ll Love This Broccoli Pasta Recipe?
- Easy – Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is relatively easy to prepare. It’s a one-pot process. Also, you don’t need fancy ingredients to make this soup.
- No Cream Pasta – Like any other pasta recipe, this pasta is made without cream and roux.
- Versatile – This broccoli pasta is highly versatile as you can add or swap any ingredient per your taste.
Should I Eat This Recipe If I Don’t Like Broccoli?
Yes, it would help if you tried this Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta recipe, as the cooking method has entirely changed the taste of the broccoli. Plus, the formula is perfect for those who want to try broccoli for the first time.
The tried-and-trusted method of cooking broccoli makes this pasta recipe outshine. Steaming the florets yields a crisp-tender broccoli that you can eat as a side dish or use in pasta, salads, and casseroles. Just be careful not to overcook it.
What Type Of Pasta Does Jamie Oliver Use In This Recipe?
Jamie Oliver uses orecchiette pasta for this broccoli pasta. The reason is its distinctive shape and texture. This pasta is known for its name, which resembles a small ear. This shape can capture sauces.
Besides this, it has a slightly thicker center and a thinner edge, providing a balanced bite. The more expansive center offers a satisfying chew, while the more delicate edges ensure the pasta doesn’t feel too heavy or starchy.
If you can’t find this type of pasta near you, you can go for macaroni, fusilli, or rigatoni pasta. However, the results may vary slightly depending on the pasta you use.
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta
- Pot – Cook the pasta, broccoli florets, and prepare the broccoli pasta in a pot until tender.
- Pan – Prepare the broccoli sauce in a frying pan.
- Knife – Chop the florets and remove the dark ends from the florets with a sharp knife for this recipe.
- Grater – Grate the parmesan cheese with a grater to sprinkle towards the back for a cheesy and nutty bite.
- Spatula – Toss the dish using a spatula for the final touch.
- Chopping Board – Chop the broccoli florets on a chopping board to ensure fine cutting.
- Strainer – Strain the water from the pasta and broccoli using a filter.
Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Ingredients
- Broccoli – Cut broccoli into florets and cook until tender for the recipe. It will provide crunchiness and slight sweetness to the recipe.
- Orecchiette Pasta – Our chef has used orecchiette pasta as it works wonderfully with sauces. Their small ear shape scoops up the extra flavor in each bite.
- Parmesan Cheese – Grate parmesan cheese and add towards the end for a gritty texture with a nutty taste.
- Butter – Cook the florets and pasta in butter until tender and fragrant.
- Anchovies – Add a tablespoon of anchovies paste while cooking the pasta to add a very distinctive salty, fishy flavor with a hint of sweetness in this broccoli pasta.
- Garlic – Use peeled garlic cloves to add a soft, sweet, and buttery flavor to this pasta recipe.
- Red Chilis – Crush red chilis for the recipe to add a spicier taste.
- Sea Salt – Sprinkle salt to enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
- Black Pepper – To add an intense flavor, season black pepper over broccoli mixture that pairs well with the dish.
Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Ingredients Substitutions
- Broccolini – If you don’t have broccoli, use asparagus tips, green beans, or spinach.
- Pasta – Substitute orecchiette pasta with penne, fusilli, farfalle (bowtie), or rigatoni for the exact flavors.
- Parmesan Cheese – You can go for grated Pecorino Romano, Asiago, or a vegan cheese alternative for the savory and salty flavor.
- Olive Oil – Instead of olive oil, you can try unsalted butter, avocado oil, or flavored oil to provide a rich and smooth texture to your pasta dish.
- Garlic – We’ve used garlic cloves as these can be found easily. But you can also use garlic powder or minced shallots.
- Red Chilis – Red chilis will make this pasta dish spicier. However, you can use cayenne pepper or hot sauce for that same heat.
Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||30 Minutes||45 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Recipe Steps
Step 1- Heat a pot filled with salted water on medium-high heat.
Step 2- Boil two to three cups of orecchiette pasta until tender for eight to ten minutes.
Step 3- Remove pasta from the pot, add chopped broccoli florets, and cook until tender enough.
Step 4- In a frying pan, saute minced garlic and red chilis in melted butter.
Step 5- Once sauteed, add a tablespoon of anchovies paste.
Step 6- Transfer drained and tender broccoli florets to the pan.
Step 7- Once it is cooked, add boiled pasta to the pan.
Step 8- Moving forward, season the pasta with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Step 9- Garnish it parmesan cheese to relish the flavors.
Step 10- Your Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is ready to be served.
Tips To Make Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Better
Following this recipe guide will pay you off. Still, if you are unclear about anything, take a look at these tips:
- Cook the pasta and broccoli together in the same pot. But don’t throw pasta and broccoli together. Add the broccoli right after the pasta so that there is room for the pasta to cook.
- Cut up the broccoli, similar to the pasta. It will help cook them faster and won’t overwhelm the overall taste.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes or rotisserie chicken to add depth of flavor.
- Swap in crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese with parmesan cheese.
- You can make it creamy by adding pesto sauce. However, this recipe doesn’t call for any cream.
- Don’t forget to salt broccoli while cooking it. Add plenty of salt to the water while cooking broccoli. It will help enhance the flavors of broccoli and pasta, making it crunchy and crispy.
Why Is My Broccoli Pasta Dry?
There might be a situation where your broccoli pasta may become dry. It is mainly because of the need for more sauce content. If your pasta dish contains less pasta and more broccoli sauce, your pasta dish may become dry.
So, adding only 70-80% of cooked pasta to your broccoli sauce is always recommended. Still, if you are unhappy with the results, you can fix it by adding some vegetable broth, heavy cream, or pasta water. However, you won’t get the exact flavors and taste. So, be mindful of the amount of the ingredients.
Is It Better To Cook Or Boil Broccoli?
As per Jamie Oliver, cooking broccoli for this pasta recipe is recommended. The reason is to retain its crispness and crunchiness. Also, cooking broccoli for this pasta recipe helps maintain a firmer texture, yielding natural flavors.
But you can also boil broccoli for this recipe. Cooked broccoli is a more straightforward way to use for the pasta dish if you want to serve it on short notice. However, you won’t get that crispness and taste.
How Will This Jamie Oliver Carbonara Look And Taste Like?
This homemade version of Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is something that you should try at once. We were initially skeptical about its taste and look, but when we ate it, we were taken aback. The classy combination of broccoli, garlic, and red chilis gives this pasta dish a unique flavor.
Grated Parmesan cheese added richness when we tasted it, making us crave more. While the seasoning sprinkled on top brings out the flavors, elevating its taste.
Is This Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Healthy?
Yes, this Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is very healthy compared to any other pasta dish as it contains very healthy and highly nutritious broccoli. However, excessive amounts of anything can be harmful. So, before heading toward it, take a look at the table below:
|Saturated Fat||5.1 g|
How to Store These Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta?
This recipe is so fulfilling that you should try it repeatedly. So, if you have leftover pasta, store it promptly. How? Consider these ways:
- Refrigeration – Transfer the pasta to an airtight container, cover it with plastic wrap or a lid, and store it in the fridge for up to five days.
- Freezing – If your pasta has sauce, keep it in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to eat, whisk the sauce and pasta with a splash of water or broth.
Note – When ready to eat, reheat it for a few minutes. But remember that cream-based sauces lose some texture when frozen and reheated. So, be very careful with storing.
How To Reheat These Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta?
If you want to immediately consume this Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta, reheat it properly to retain its taste and freshness. For this, you can go through these tips and tricks:
Method 1: Stovetop Method
Use a pan to reheat broccoli pasta. For this, heat the pan to medium heat and transfer the leftover pasta with some water or unsweetened milk. Then, heat the pasta until you get the creamy sauce again.
Method 2: Microwave Method
Transfer the broccoli pasta to a microwave-safe dish and add a splash of water or broth. Cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Reheat it regularly for a minute or two until it’s heated.
Method 3: Oven Method
To reheat the broccoli pasta, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Add a splash of liquid to the dish. Transfer it to an oven-safe container and cover it with aluminum foil.
Now, place the covered dish in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes and reheat it until heated.
What To Serve With These Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta?
This Jamie Oliver-style broccoli pasta is fulfilling on its own. But pairing them with complimentary side dishes will create a well-rounded meal. Here are a few suggestions:
- Jamie Oliver Coleslaw – A fresh coleslaw salad can provide a refreshing contrast to this delicious broccoli pasta. It’s made with shredded cabbage and carrot in a creamy dressing. This delightful and tangy coleslaw will surely make your meal refreshing.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower – Roasted cauliflower will add texture and flavor to the meal. All you have to do is to toss the veggie in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and your preferred herbs, and roast them in the oven until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Jamie Oliver Roast Potatoes – Serve your broccoli pasta with Jamie Oliver roast potatoes. They are delicious and will surely give you a flavorful experience.
- Jamie Oliver Potato Salad – Jamie Oliver’s potato salad recipe is the perfect addition to broccoli pasta. The potato salad will surely please everyone, made with boiled potatoes, various fresh vegetables, and a tangy dressing.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Jamie Oliver’s broccoli pasta. It’s a perfect two-in-one vegetarian and low-carb dish. Also, it’s the easiest pasta recipe to try.
Other than this, if you want to try more Jamie Oliver recipes, try Jamie Oliver Fried Rice Recipe, Jamie Oliver Gazpacho Soup, Jamie Oliver Potato Salad, Jamie Oliver Mushroom Pasta, Jamie Oliver Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, and Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Salad.
Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta Recipe
- Chopping Board
- 1 bunch Broccolis (trimmed and cut into florets)
- ½ pound Orecchiette Pasta
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Anchovies Paste
- 1 clove Garlic (peeled and minced)
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilis (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat a pot filled with salted water on medium-high heat.
- Boil two to three cups of orecchiette pasta until tender for eight to ten minutes.
- Remove pasta from the pot, add chopped broccoli florets, and cook until tender enough.
- In a frying pan, saute minced garlic and red chilis in melted butter.
- Once sauteed, add a tablespoon of anchovies paste.
- Transfer drained and tender broccoli florets to the pan.
- Once it is cooked, add boiled pasta to the pan.
- Moving forward, season the pasta with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Garnish it parmesan cheese to relish the flavors.
- Your Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is ready to be served.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What can you add to pasta when there’s nothing?
The combination of pasta with a good tin of anchovies and plenty of olive oil with breadcrumbs is famous. You can also add spoons of tomato paste simmered with water to make a sauce.
What is the secret to good pasta?
It is recommended to bring water to a boil before adding pasta to it. Else the exterior of the pasta will turn mushy before the center softens. Once boiling, add plenty of salt to the water not only to add flavor, but also to shorten the cooking time.
Can I add butter to pasta?
Adding butter will give you a thick and velvety sauce, which you might miss with olive oil. Olive oil is not enough to showcase bright tomato flavors.
What more can you add to pasta to make it more flavorful?
You can add butternut, zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and onion. You can add homemade cheese sauce from milk or cream, grated cheese, flour or cornstarch, and salt and pepper.
Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta is a must-try for anyone who loves pasta. The unique combination of flavors will leave you wanting more and more.
Be sure to use quality ingredients to get the best results. You can easily tailor this dish to your liking by adding more or fewer ingredients. Get creative and enjoy!