Jamie Oliver beef stew is a classic British dish, perfect for winter. This hearty dish is made with beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions and is simmered in rich gravy.
While it may take some time to prepare, this stew is well worth the effort and is sure to become a family favorite.
Start by browning the coated beef in a pot. Once it is browned, add the chopped veggies, red wine, beef stock, and herbs to the pan. Transfer the mixture to the oven and cook for 3-4 hours until it becomes succulent and falls apart.
If you’re a diehard fan of the stew but wish to tweak the recipe, try adding roasted red bell peppers or roasted sweet potatoes for a different flavor.
You can also use bone-in beef stew meat if you prefer. If you want to make the stew spicier, add cayenne pepper to kick it or add a can of black beans to make it heartier.
The recipe below will guide you on how to make Jamie Oliver beef stew. We have also shared our thoughts on its taste and texture.
We’ll also answer a few frequently asked questions about the dish, so you can be sure you’re making it just the way Jamie intended. Make your favorite from the list of Jamie Oliver recipes.
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes That You Can Try
- Jamie Oliver Chicken Soup
- Jamie Oliver Fried Rice
- Jamie Oliver Salmon
- Jamie Oliver Cauliflower Mac And Cheese
- Jamie Oliver Pork Tenderloin
- Jamie Oliver Brussel Sprouts
- Jamie Oliver Turkey
- Jamie Oliver Pizza Dough
- Jamie Oliver Roast Potatoes
- Jamie Oliver Mushroom Pasta
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Beef Stew?
- Oven – Transfer the cooked beef to the oven for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is tender and pulled apart with forks.
- Casserole Pan – In a casserole pan, cook beef until it is browned.
- Bowl – In a bowl, toss diced beef with the flour, ensuring the beef chunks are coated, and keep it aside.
- Plate – Transfer the cooked meat to a plate and leave it to cool down.
- Knife – Roughly chop the celery sticks and carrots into small rounds with a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies and beef on a chopping board for fine cutting.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Beef Stew?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||4 Hours 20 Minutes||4 Hours 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Beef Stew?
- Stewing Beef – Cut beef into chunks and cook for a flavorful and juicy stew.
- Red Wine – Add red wine to break the beef down, making it more tender. It will also add depth of flavor.
- Beef Stock – Use low-sodium beef broth to avoid making the stew too salty.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire Sauce will add umami flavor with sour notes to the stew.
- Olive Oil – Cook sliced beef and veggies in olive oil until they are brown and softened.
- Vine Tomatoes – Vine cherry tomatoes will add a rich, sweet, and tangy taste to the stew.
- Shallots – Add sliced shallots to give a delicate and sweet flavor with a hint of u5rftsharpness.
- Carrots – Cook sliced carrots until tender to give a slightly sweet flavor with bitter notes to the stew.
- Plain Flour – Coat the beef with the flour as it will help brown the meat better, enhancing the surface texture of the meat.
- Celery – Chop celery stalk and cook to add juicy and salty flavor.
- Thyme – Cook thyme leaves while making the stew for a minty and slightly lemony flavor.
- Bay Leaves – Add Bay leaves while making the stew to get a subtle and herbal flavor. Do remove bay leaves before serving a dish.
- Garlic – Sauté garlic in a pan to add mild sweetness to the stew.
- Salt – Season the stew with salt to enhance the flavor of the beef.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will give a spicy flavor to the beef stew.
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver Beef Stew
1. Slicing Is Must
Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Dice the stewing beef into small pieces. Peel and finely chop the garlic and shallots and keep them aside.
Roughly chop the celery sticks, then peel, trim and chop the carrots into small rounds.
2. Cook The Staples
In a bowl, toss diced beef with the flour, and ensure that the beef chunks are coated and keep it aside.
Add a splash of olive in a casserole pan over medium heat and add beef and cook it for 5 minutes until it is browned.
It will give the stew a rich flavor and color. Transfer the cooked beef to a plate and leave it to cool down.
Now into the same pan with olive oil, add the chopped veggies. Stir in the thyme leaves and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
3. Stew Is Ready To Serve
Transfer the beef to the pan, add tomatoes, and pour the wine. Once the liquid is absorbed, add the beef stock, bay leaves, and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
Season the stew with sea salt and black pepper, transfer it to the preheated oven and cook for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is tender and pulled apart with forks.
Serve your beef stew with creamy mashed potato and, if you like, a glass of your favorite red wine.
|Saturated Fat||2.2 g|
How Will Jamie Oliver Beef Stew Look And Taste Like?
Jamie Oliver beef stew is flavorsome and tender. Searing the beef before adding it to the stock will help you to get the delicious caramelization on the meat!
The beef stew has a large, tender, and juicy chunks of beef coated in a rich and intense sauce. It has veggies that are more than just filler, bringing a complementary texture and flavor to the stew.
The flavors of the red wine and herbs have infused the entire dish, making it incredibly flavorful. This Jamie Oliver beef stew is sure to become a new family favorite!
Jamie Oliver Beef Stew Recipe
- Casserole Pan
- Chopping Board
- 800 g Stewing Beef
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 150 ml Red Wine
- 500 ml Beef Stock
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 4 ripe Vine Tomatoes
- 1 handful Shallots
- 4 Carrots
- 2 sticks Celery
- ½ bunch Thyme
- 2 fresh Bay Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Dice the stewing beef into small pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and shallots and keep them aside.
- Roughly chop the celery sticks, then peel, trim and chop the carrots into small rounds.
- In a bowl, toss diced beef with the flour, and ensure that the beef chunks are coated and keep it aside.
- Add a splash of olive in a casserole pan over medium heat and add beef and cook it for 5 minutes until it is browned.
- Transfer the cooked beef to a plate and leave it to cool down.
- In a pan with olive oil, add the chopped veggies. Stir in the thyme leaves and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Transfer the beef to the pan, add tomatoes and pour in the wine.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaves and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Season the stew with sea salt and black pepper, transfer it to the preheated oven and cook for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is tender and pulled apart with forks.
- Serve your beef stew with creamy mashed potato and, if you like, a glass of your favorite red wine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to serve Jamie Oliver beef stew?
While Jamie Oliver’s spicy beef stew is delicious, you need something to go with it. Serve this stew with mashed potatoes and a side salad for a complete and nutritious meal. Try making sweet potato mash for a unique twist on classic mashed potatoes. You can also serve the stew with rice or pasta to keep it simple and light.
What is Jamie Oliver beef stew?
Jamie Oliver beef stew is made with beef, vegetables and various spices. It is a hearty and filling meal that is perfect for winter days.
What kind of beef do you need for Jamie Oliver beef stew?
You can use any beef for this recipe, but it is best to use a cut which has some fat content so that it doesn’t dry out during cooking. Good choices include chuck roast, short ribs or even brisket.
Can I make Jamie Oliver beef stew in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Just brown the beef and vegetables as directed, then add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Who doesn’t love a good, warm, and hearty stew? Jamie Oliver beef stew is an easy meal that even novice cooks can whip up in no time.
So, if you want a cozy and comforting meal that will warm your heart and your belly, then Jamie Oliver’s spicy beef stew is just the thing for you.