James Beard chocolate mousse is a rich, dairy-free, and smooth dessert. This chocolate mousse is a combination of rich chocolate and dark coffee. It is equally chocolatey and heavenly.
One day, I was watching a show named Un Nuevo Dia. The chef, James Beard was making his famous chocolate mousse. I noted down the ingredients and instructions he gave so I could try making it.
I tried making the mousse at home and it was the best mousse I ever had in my life. With coffee and chocolate as the major tones, it is the perfect bittersweet dessert.
To make chef James Beard chocolate mousse, melt the chocolate. Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl with olive oil. Once mixed, add the chocolate, espresso, and liqueur.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites till they form medium peaks. Fold it in the chocolate mixture. Refrigerate until set and serve.
The key to making a great chocolate mousse is to use good quality chocolate. A dark chocolate with a high cocoa content will give the best flavor.
Chocolate with a lower cocoa content can be used, but the flavor will be more mild.
When making chocolate mousse, it is important to melt the chocolate properly. If the chocolate is not melted properly, it will not incorporated into the mixture correctly and the mousse will not be as smooth.
This was a quick summary of the whole recipe. Find the complete recipe below. But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
1. Paula Deen’s Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake– This recipe is a great cake if you want to try a different cake recipe. It is spongey, fluffy sweet and packs a sour punch. It is quite easy to make too.
2. Janice Feuer Haugen’s Chocolate Decadence– If you love chocolate desserts, then Janice Feuer Haugen’s recipe of Chocolate Decadence is a fantastic recipe to try. It is made with smooth chocolate, which is baked to perfection and topped with candied orange peel.
3. Alton Brown’s Gold Cake– Alton Brown’s gold cake is a delicious and fluffy vanilla cake that is just supreme. It doesn’t require fancy ingredients, but the ones needed for a regular cake. It has a rich yellowish golden color. You can make it in less than an hour.
4. Bobby Flay’s Pizza Dough– The recipe is from a very famous chef named Bobby Flay. Bobby Flay is an American celebrity chef and a renowned television personality. He is the owner of many restaurants and has written many cookbooks as well.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make James Beard Chocolate Mousse?
- Double Boiler – Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth and melted.
- Electric Mixer – Beat the egg yolks and sugar using an electric mixer until light and lemon yellow in color.
- Mixing Bowls – Whip the egg whites and egg yolks in separate bowls.
- Knife – Chop bittersweet chocolate in cubes for easy melting using a sharp knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the chocolate on a chopping board to avoid mess.
- Spatula – Stir the chocolate continuously while melting to avoid it from burning.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make James Beard Chocolate Mousse?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||25 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make James Beard Chocolate Mousse?
- Bittersweet Chocolate – Chop and melt bittersweet chocolate to add bitter with subtle fruity flavor notes to the mousse.
- Eggs Yolk – Beat egg yolk to add rich flavor and smooth texture to the dessert.
- Egg Whites – Fold egg whites in chocolate mixture to thicken it.
- Liqueur – The liqueur is used to moisten the filling of the mousse.
- Espresso – Espresso will serve as chocolatey and nutty base flavor to your mousse.
- Extra Virgin Oil – Oil is added to give the mousse fluffy in texture, keeping it moist.
- Confectioner’s Sugar – Adding sugar to mousse makes it more appealing, making it light and fluffy.
Steps To Make James Beard Chocolate Mousse
1. Smooth The Chocolate
Start by chopping bittersweet chocolate in cubes for easy melting. Take a double boiler and melt the chocolate until it is smooth and thoroughly melted. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
Take a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar using an electric mixer on high speed until light and lemon yellow in color.
Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and pour in olive oil in a slow and steady stream.
2. Cool Down Mousse
Once the olive oil has been dissolved, add the melted chocolate, espresso, and liqueur. Mix the mixture on low speed until well combined.
In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they form medium peaks. Toss the whites thoroughly into the prepared chocolate mixture and refrigerate until set for at least 3 hours.
How Will James Beard Chocolate Mousse Look And Taste Like?
The best way to enjoy James Beard chocolate mousse is to let the rich flavors melt in your mouth. Take a small spoonful and let it sit on your tongue before you start to eat it.
The chocolate will slowly start to dissolve and the flavor will become more intense. Pay attention to the different notes that you can taste. Is the chocolate sweet or bitter? Can you taste any other flavors like vanilla or coffee?
Chocolate mousse is a rich and indulgent treat that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Find a recipe that suits your taste and experiment with different types of chocolate until you find one that you love.
James Beard Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 6 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (Chopped)
- 1 cup Egg Yolk
- 1 cup Egg Whites
- 2 tablespoon Liqueur
- ¼ cup Brewed Espresso
- ¾ cup Extra Virgin Oil
- ⅔ cup Confectioner's Sugar
- Start by chopping bittersweet chocolate in cubes for easy melting.
- Take a double boiler and melt the chocolate until it is smooth and thoroughly melted.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Take a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar using an electric mixer on high speed until light and lemon yellow in color.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and pour in olive oil in a slow and steady stream.
- Once the olive oil has been dissolved, add the melted chocolate, espresso, and liqueur.
- Mix the mixture on low speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they form medium peaks.
- Toss the whites thoroughly into the prepared chocolate mixture and refrigerate until set for at least 3 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is chocolate mousse?
Chocolate mousse is a light, airy dessert made from whipped egg whites, chocolate, and cream. It originated in France and is typically served chilled.
How do you make chocolate mousse?
There are many different ways to make chocolate mousse, but the most common method is to start by melting chocolate and cream together.
Once melted, the mixture is cooled slightly and whisked together with egg whites until light and fluffy. The mousse is then refrigerated for a few hours to allow it to set.
What are the different types of chocolate mousse?
There are two main types of chocolate mousse: dark chocolate and white chocolate. Dark chocolate mousse is made with dark chocolate and tends to be richer and more intense in flavor.
White chocolate mousse is made with white chocolate and has a lighter, sweeter flavor. There are also variations of these two main types, such as milk chocolate or bittersweet chocolate mousses.
Can I make chocolate mousse without eggs?
Yes, there are recipes for egg-free chocolate mousse that use gelatin or aquafaba (the liquid from canned chickpeas) as a stabilizer instead of eggs. These recipes typically result in a slightly different texture than traditional egg-based mousses, but they can be just as delicious.
James Beard chocolate mousse is a light and airy chocolate dessert that is often made with whipped egg whites and cream. It is usually served chilled, and it can be either spooned into individual serving dishes or served in one large dish.
This was all about James Beard chocolate mousse recipe. Tell me how well you liked it in the comments below. You can also mention your suggestions and queries in the comments. I’ll make sure to help you with them. Till then, happy eating!