Iranians are known for adding their own unique twist to different cuisines. After reading that, I researched some of the Indian dishes that were reinvented by the Iranian people. There were many dishes on the list but one recipe that caught my eye was the Iranian Chicken Curry recipe.
Chicken curry originated in India and the Iranian chicken curry is just the Irani rendition of this recipe. The Iranian chicken curry has the richness of saffron and the flavor and aroma of the spices. This curry is going to leave a lingering effect on your taste buds and you’ll definitely crave more.
To make Iranian chicken curry, make a paste of onions and garlic. Also, soak a few strands of saffron in water. Then, melt butter in a pan and fry the chicken in it. Keep the chicken aside and add the onion paste, garlic paste, and spices to the pan. Cook for some time, then add the chicken and water to the pan. Cover with a lid and cook.
Lastly, add the saffron water and cook for some more time. This is only a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on the website that you should also check.
1. Thai Chicken Balls – Thai chicken balls dish will remind you of Thai restaurants and give you the pleasure of Thai flavor at home. Incorporate perfect Thai flavors right in your kitchen.
2. Vegan Pulled Jackfruit– Vegan pulled jackfruit is highly nutritious and rich in antioxidants. Among other vegan recipes, the pulled jackfruit is an incredible alternative for good meals.
3. Tangerine Chicken– Add an Asian flavor to your dinner tonight! Serve this tangy chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli over rice – that’s ready in 20 minutes. Tangerine chicken
4. Brazilian Fish Stew– A Brazilian stew is also called Moqueca; it can be made with the fish you prefer in coconut milk and chili, tomatoes, lemon, and onions. It is a fish stew that can be served with rice or tortillas.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Iranian Chicken Curry?
- Blender – Use a blender to blend the components.
- Frying Pan – Simmer the components to preapre the Iranian chicken curry.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Iranian Chicken Curry?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||40 Minutes||50 Minutes|
What Ingredient Will You Need To Make Iranian Chicken Curry?
- Chicken – Take half a a pound of chicken to prepare Iranian chicken curry.
- Onions – Saute the onions and add it to the curry for savory blend of flavors.
- Garlic – Add pungent and aromatic flavors to the curry by adding minced garlic.
- Saffron – Adding saffron will enhance the flavors and result in aromatic Iranian chicken curry.
- Butter – Cook the chicken with a tablespoon of butter. Adding butter will result in better texture.
- Water – We added water for the liquid content. If you wish to achive a thick curry, you can also add the beef or chicken stock.
- Curry Powder – Curry powder is a combination of sweet and svaory spices. Add a teaspoon of curry powder in making the chicken curry.
- Salt – Add salt to your taste,
- Black Pepper – Season the curry with a pinch of black pepper.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is considered as red hot spice. It has a combination of sweet and savory blend of flavors.
- Turmeric Powder – Add some color to the chicken curry with a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Iranian Spice Blend – Iranian spice blend is a combination of herbal spices like basil, cilantro, parsley, chives, fennugreek, marjoram, and tarragon.
- Pomergrante – To give a royal Iranian finsih, garnish the curry with pomeragrante or walnuts or any other of herbs of your choice.
Steps To Make Iranian Chicken Curry
Make a paste of onions and garlic. Then in a frying pan, add butter and roast chicken fr around 5-8 minutes until it is tender and brown on both sides. Remove the cooked chicken to the plate and began to prepare the curry. Simultaneously, prepare saffron water by adding saffron to boiling water and covering it with a foil to keep it aside.
2. Gravy Infusion
Prepare the curry by infusing all the spices into the frying pan. First, add garlic and onion paste, and then add all the spices like curry powder, salt, cinnamon powder, turmeric powder, Iranian spice blend, and a teaspoon of black pepper. At last, add half a cup of water to the pan. Let it cook for 5-10 minutes until the gravy is reduced to half.
3. Final Cooking
At last, put the cooked chicken in the gravy and simmer for 20 minutes more to emulsify. The blend of spices merged with the chicken curry is delectable. When the curry is reduced to half, know that the chicken curry is ready.
How Will Iranian Chicken Curry Look And Taste Like?
Iranian chicken curry looks appetizing with fresh and aromatic flavors. The savory blend of Iranian spice results in better texture and taste. All in all, the Iranian chicken curry tastes delightful.
Iranian Chicken Curry Recipe
- 350 g Chicken
- 2 medium Onions
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Saffron
- 100 g Butter
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Iranian Spice Blend(Advieh)
- ½ cup Pomergranate
- Using a blender, make a paste of the onions and then of the garlic. Keep the pastes in separate bowls.
- Pour some boiled water in a bowl and add saffron to it. Cover it with plastic wrap or foil.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Now, melt the butter in a frying pan. Add chicken to it and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then, take the chicken out of the pan and place it in a plate.
- Now, add the onion and garlic paste in the same pan. Add curry powder, salt and pepper, cinnamon, turmeric to it. Cook until the mixture turns brown in colour.
- Now, add the fried chicken back to it and pour 2 cups of water in it.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the chicken for about an hour.
- Then, put the saffron water in it. Again, put the lid on it and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve it with rice and savour its amazing delight.
Important notes about ingredientsAdvieh is a blend of spices for Persian cooking. Although its specific composition varies from the Persian Gulf to the Caspian Sea, common ingredients include turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, rose petals or rose buds, cumin, and ginger. It may also include ground golpar (Persian hogweed), saffron, nutmeg, black pepper, mace, coriander, or sesame.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I make chicken curry better?
There are so many ways to make chicken curry better. You can fry the chicken using butter or ghee for better texture.
Do you put onion in a curry?
Yes, we definitely put onions to thicken the gravy and add savory flavors.
What is Iran’s national dish?
Khoresh-e ghormeh sabzi is referred to as a national dish of Iran.
Is Persian considered Mediterranean?
Persian or Iranian food is the legacy of the Mediterranean seas.
Get your hands on the Iranian chicken curry recipe with the above recipe article. Refer to the details and share your experience with us in the comment section below.