I read it somewhere that Iranians can come up with their own version of any cuisine. After reading that, I researched some of the Indian dishes that were reinvented by the Iranian people. There were many dishes on the list but one recipe that caught my eye was the Iranian Chicken Curry recipe.
Chicken curry originated in India and the Iranian chicken curry is just the Irani rendition of this recipe. The Iranian chicken curry has the richness of saffron and the flavor and aroma of the spices. This curry is going to leave a lingering effect on your taste buds and you’ll definitely crave more.
To make Iranian chicken curry, make a paste of onions and garlic. Also, soak saffron in water. Then, melt butter in a pan and fry the chicken in it. Keep the chicken aside and add the onion paste, garlic paste, and spices to the pan. Cook for some time, then add the chicken and water to the pan. Cover with a lid and cook. Lastly, add the saffron water and cook for some more time.
This is only a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Thai Chicken Balls– This Thai Chicken Balls dish would remind you of Thai restaurants and give you the pleasure of Thai flavor at home. If you make Thai Chicken Balls at home, you can either give them a small shape or a large one resembling a burger.
2. Vegan Pulled Jackfruit– Vegetables have always been a good source of nutrients that our body demands. And having a vegan diet also helps maintain your calorie count and carbs level that you somehow lack in non-vegan food.
3. Tangerine Chicken– Add an Asian flavor to your dinner tonight! Serve this tangy chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli over rice – that’s ready in 20 minutes.
4. Brazilian Fish Stew– A fish stew can be served with rice or tortillas. A Brazilian stew is also called Moqueca; it can be made with the fish you prefer in coconut milk and chili, tomatoes, lemon, and onions.
Iranian Chicken Curry Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 350 g Chicken
- 2 medium Onions
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Saffron
- 100 g Butter
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Iranian Spice Blend(Advieh)
- Using a blender, make a paste of the onions and then of the garlic. Keep the pastes in separate bowls.
- Pour some boiled water in a bowl and add saffron to it. Cover it with plastic wrap or foil.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Now, melt the butter in a frying pan. Add chicken to it and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then, take the chicken out of the pan and place it in a plate.
- Now, add the onion and garlic paste in the same pan. Add curry powder, salt and pepper, cinnamon, turmeric and Advieh to it. Cook until the mixture turns brown in colour.
- Now, add the fried chicken back to it and pour 2 cups of water in it.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the chicken for about an hour.
- Then, put the saffron water in it. Again, put the lid on it and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve it with rice and savour its amazing delight.