Spanish dishes make the perfect comfort food. Here, I am adding one more Spanish dish to this list. The recipe I will be sharing with you is for Huevos Rotos. This delicious recipe is simple, but it is listed among the popular Spanish egg dishes.
To make huevos rotos, cook the onions in a pan. Add thin potato slices along with garlic, parsley, and pepper to it and cook it on low flame. As the potatoes get tender, crack the eggs over the potatoes, and cover the pan again.
Cook till the egg whites get set. Chop chorizo rounds and brown them in another pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Then, spread ham slices and chorizo.
While traditional huevos rotos recipes use Spanish cured ham or sausage, you can also top your huevos rotos with sautéed vegetables, blood sausage, bacon, or fried peppers!
Follow the recipe given in detail and you will surely get the best result. To get started with the recipe, take note of the ingredients first, followed by the process and other necessary details.
Also, there are a variety of breakfast recipes that you can try as well. Do check them as well.
1. Omelette du Fromage– If you want to make a cheese omelette then, you should try making Omelette du Fromage. “Omelette du Fromage” is just the French phrase for the cheese omelette. It is really easy to make and gets ready in no time.
2. Shrimp Omelet– If you are looking for a breakfast that is nutritious as well as healthy then, the shrimp omelet is the best choice. A good breakfast gives you the energy to survive the whole day.
3. Overnight Blueberry French Toast– Overnight blueberry French toast is an amazing recipe made of delicious blueberries, eggs, milk, bread, cream cheese, vanilla, maple syrup, sugar, and butter. It is nothing like the traditional French toast recipe.
4. Chocolate Chip Waffles– These waffles are a delicious and sweet breakfast. They are the perfect breakfast for you if you love waffles and anything with chocolate chips. All you need is a waffle iron, some basic ingredients, and a few minutes of your time.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Huevos Rotos?
- Skillet – Cook the veggies in a skillet until tender, brown, and translucent.
- Pan – Cook the chorizo in a pan until brown over medium flame.
- Knife – Cut the potatoes and green peppers into thin slices. Chop the onion, parsley, and cut the chorizo into rounds with a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies and ham on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Spatula – Sauté the onion, potatoes, and cook the chorizo by stirring it occasionally with a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Huevos Rotos?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||30 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Huevos Rotos?
- Eggs – Eggs are the key ingredient for the recipe. Fry them until perfectly with the sunny side up.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Fry the potatoes and cook the veggies in olive oil until crispy, brown, and transparent.
- Potatoes – I have used russet potatoes as there texture is floury, dry, light, and fluffy with a hearty skin that is chewy when fried.
- Green Pepper – Cook sliced green pepper until crispy for adding slight sweetness tot he recipe.
- Onion – The longer you cook an onion, the softer and sweeter it gets.
- Ham – Ham will add a a slight and underlying sweetness to huevos rotos.
- Cured Spanish Chorizo – Cook chorizo to add a delicious, and smoky flavor to the meal.
- Garlic Cloves – Cook minced garlic cloves to add a soft, sweet, and buttery flavor tot he recipe.
- Parsley – Top your huevos rotos with chopped parsley to add a clean and peppery taste with a touch of earthiness.
- Salt – Salting chorizo will add flavor and prevent spoilage.
- Pepper – Season the sausage to add a kick of spicy flavor.
Steps To Make Huevos Rotos
1. Let’s Begin
Take a skillet and grease it with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add onions to the skillet and cook them over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and transparent.
Slice the potatoes in a super-thin manner likewise “fries” and chop the green preppers into thin slices. Now add both the veggies to the skillet.
Mix in minced garlic and chopped parsley to the skillet. Cook them over low flame. Cover it and stir them after every 10 minutes.
Cook them for 4 to 6 minutes until the potatoes get tender and start to brown.
2. Potato Nest
Divide the potatoes into four nests. Break four eggs in the potato nest and cover. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes till the egg whites turn firm, but the yolks are still runny.
Now, break the yolks of the eggs with sunny side up and remove the pan from the heat.
Take a separate pan, cut the chorizo in rounds and add a little oil. Cook them till they get brown over medium flame. Season it with some salt and pepper.
Place thin slices of ham over the potatoes and eggs. Also, add cooked chorizo.
Serve huevos rotos with warm slices of fresh bread.
How Will Huevos Rotos Look And Taste Like?
Huevos rotos is a recipe of a large bowl of fried potatoes, topped with shreds of parsley leaves, and topped with a fried egg. The yolk is all runny and coated the potatoes and the Spanish cured ham.
Huevos Rotos Recipe
- 4 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Potatoes
- ½ cup Green Pepper
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 ounce Ham
- 4 ounces Cured Spanish Chorizo
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Pepper
- Take a pan and grease it with olive oil. Add onions to the pan and cook them over medium heat.
- Slice the potatoes in a super-thin manner and add them to the pan. Add garlic, parsley, and peppers to the pan.
- Cook them over low flame. Cover the pan and stir them after every 10 minutes
- Cook them for 4-6 minutes until the potatoes get tender and start to brown.
- Make 4 nests in the potatoes. Break four eggs in the potato nest and cover.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes till the egg whites turn firm, but the yolks are still runny.
- Now, break the yolks of the eggs and remove the pan from the heat.
- Take a separate pan, cut the chorizo in rounds and add a little oil.
- Cook them till they get brown over medium flame. Season it with some salt and pepper.
- Place thin slices of ham over the potatoes and eggs. Also, add cooked chorizo.
- Serve huevos rotos with warm slices of fresh bread.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is huevos rotos made of?
Huevos rotos, or “broken eggs,” is one of the most popular dishes in taverns all across Spain. This is an incredibly simple combination of fried potatoes, chorizo sausage or jamón, and perfectly fried eggs that can be served any time of day.
Where does huevos rotos come from?
The dish, while common in Madrid, may actually originate from the Canary Islands. Its origins aren’t entirely known, but huevos rotos date back to at least the early 1800s, where it was noted by American writer Richard Ford after spending time in Spain that this particular dish was often eaten in low-income families.
How to serve huevos rotos?
In addition to sprinkling the top with salt and pepper some fresh chopped parsley adds some color. Serve with sliced, warm, crusty bread to sop up any extra sauce. The most important thing here is that huevos rotos be served immediately, warm. And, it can be a meal unto itself.
Not a meat eater! Then what to add?
Huevos rotos can be easily adapted for vegetarians. My favorite vegetarian huevos rotos recipes include mushrooms, peppers, and caramelized onion!
Try the recipe for huevos rotos and share your reviews in the comment section below. I will happy to know how much you liked the recipe.
Not just this, you are free to share any suggestion or a recipe you would love to know more about. I will be happy helping you. Enjoy your meal!