Mexican food is always a delight to cook at home. Today I have a a Mexican recipe loaded with flavor for you. The recipe is for Beef and Bean Torta. You are going to love this recipe.
When talking about Mexican dishes, the first thing that comes to our mind is a bean. Yes, beans are used in almost all of the Mexican cuisines. On my visit to Mexico, I wanted to try something very different made of beans. So a sous chef in a restaurant suggested me to try this recipe. It is made of beef, tortilla and beans.
To make beef and bean torta, cook the beef and onions in a skillet. Add beans, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Make strips of foil and place them at the bottom of the slow cooker. Spoon out a few cups and add them to the slow cooker. Top them with tortilla and cheese.
More detailed steps and quantity of the ingredients involved will be given below. This recipe will provide you with a zesty taste. To start with the recipe, take note of the ingredients first. Gather them all and get started.
Ingredients For Beef and Bean Torta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can pinto or black beans (15 ounces, rinsed and drained)
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (10 ounces, undrained)
- 1 can sliced ripe olives, (2-1/4 ounces, drained)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes (optional)
The ingredients for this recipe are readily accessible at any supermarket. So go grab them. You might even find them in your pantry. Have a look there before heading out. Let’s move on to the preparation time of this recipe.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Beef and Bean Torta?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|30 Minutes||4 Hours||4 Hours 30 Minutes|
This recipe may be time-consuming, but it is worth every effort you put in to make it. We all know meat requires to be cooked with patience, which is why this recipe involves more time. Let’s see how to cook it.
Steps To Make Beef and Bean Torta
- Take a heavy-duty foil and cut strips of 20×3 inch out of it. Criss-cross the strips so that they resemble the spokes of a wheel. Place them on the bottom of a 5 qt slow cooker and bend the sides of the strips upwards. Coat the strips with a cooking spray.
- Now, take a large skillet to cook onions and beef in it over medium heat. Cook the meat till its no longer pink. Drain the residue. After it is done, add beans, tomatoes, olives, chilli powder, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Scoop out 1-2 cups of this prepared mixture and add it to the slow cooker. Top it with one tortilla and ¼ cup of cheese. Repeat this step till you make 3 layers.
- Cover and cook this on low flame for 4-5 hours. Remove the tortilla stack to the platter using foil strips as a handle.
- Serve hot.
You can garnish it with some cilantro. Serve it with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes.
Nutritional Breakdown of Beef and Bean Torta
Check out the nutrition this dish will provide you.
In case you have any queries, feel free to write them up in the comment section below. I will be happy to help you with it. If you have any suggestion, use the same section to convey them to me. I will try my best to respond to the same. Take care of your health!