Thanksgiving season is incomplete without a good turkey. While a whole baked turkey is the best way to make the most of it, there’s so much more you can do with the leftovers. Here is a great hot turkey sandwich recipe waiting for you.
A hot turkey sandwich is basically prepared with leftover carved turkey, gravy, and bread. It is an open sandwich that is quick and easy to make. There are some variations, of course, that can be found in many recipes.
Some recipes ask you to prepare an open hot turkey sandwich, whereas other recipes instruct you to add another slice of bread on top. This decision is completely up to you. But the most important part is deciding what kind of turkey to choose.
In this recipe, we are going to use leftover turkey carvings and gravy. However, some recipes use deli turkey. Again, the choice is yours about the kind of turkey you want to use. I absolutely love the idea of using leftover turkey, as it makes for the most flavorful sandwich.
Regardless of your turkey situation, this sandwich turns out to be incredible. Moreover, the gravy also adds a wonderful flavor and texture to this sandwich. If you haven’t made a hot turkey sandwich now, here’s how you can make it.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- cornbread dressing with sausage and fennel
- Angel Biscuits
- Smashed Baby Red Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
- Classic Candied Yams With Marshmallows
- Classic Bread Dressing
- Turkey Salad
- golden sweet cornbread
What Equipment Will You Need To Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich?
- Saucepan – You will need a saucepan to heat the turkey and gravy.
- Knife – A knife will help you slice the turkey and bread if you are using a bread loaf.
- Cutting Board – You will need a cutting board to slice the turkey and bread loaf.
- Spatula – A spatula will help you stir the gravy while heating.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 minutes||5 minutes||10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich?
- Turkey Meat – To make a hot turkey sandwich, you will need one and a half pounds sliced turkey meat. Here you can use the leftover turkey from your Thanksgiving meal or use a deli turkey.
- Turkey Gravy – To add more flavors to your sandwich, you will need ½ cup of turkey gravy. Turkey gravy is made using flavorful spices and seasonings that will make the sandwich taste delicious. Moreover, it will also add a creamy texture.
- Stock or Water – If you are using leftover gravy from the refrigerator, chances are it will be thick in consistency. So, to correct the consistency, you will require one cup of stock or water as needed.
- Bread – You will also need four large slices of bread. Here you can choose between a French and Italian bread loaf or any other bread of your choice.
Steps To Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich
1. Heat the Gravy
To prepare a hot turkey sandwich we will begin by eating the gravy. In a saucepan, add the leftover turkey gravy from your thanksgiving feast or a deli turkey. At this point of time, your gravy might be thick because of sitting in the refrigerator. To correct its consistency, add some water or stock as required.
2. Heat the Turkey
Now that your gravy is heating and has attained the right consistency, you can add sliced turkey to the gravy and let it warm. Once you feel that the turkey has warmed up enough, remove the saucepan from heat.
3. Arrange the Sandwich
With your sandwich topping ready, it’s time to arrange the sandwich. You can take your choice of bread, although a rustic French or Italian loaf would be great, and top it with turkey and gravy. Your hot turkey sandwich is ready to be served.
|Saturated Fat||2 grams|
How Will a Hot Turkey Sandwich Look and Taste Like?
Hot turkey sandwich is a delicious dish that can be savored in any meal. The turkey and gravy make the most flavorful toppings, and the base (the bread) gives a nice crunch to this dish.
While a leftover turkey is the best way to make this sandwich as it is already loaded with flavors, you can also use a deli turkey. As mentioned before, this recipe is an open sandwich. But if you wish to add a slice of bread on top you can do so.
Hot Turkey Sandwich Recipe
- 1½ pounds Leftover Turkey Meat or Deli Turkey, sliced
- 4 Bread Slices
- ½ cup Leftover Turkey Gravy
- Stock or Water
- In a saucepan, add the leftover turkey gravy from your thanksgiving feast or a deli turkey.
- If you find the gravy too thick, you can correct the consistency by adding some water or stock.
- Add the sliced leftover turkey and let it heat.
- Take a French or Italian loaf (or any bread of your choice) and cut slices.
- Place the warmed-up turkey and gravy on top of the slices.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much time does it take to make a hot turkey sandwich?
You can prepare a hot turkey sandwich in under 15 minutes
What ingredients do you need to make a hot turkey sandwich?
To make a hot turkey sandwich, you will need leftover turkey slices, turkey gravy, and bread.
Can we use deli turkey to make a hot turkey sandwich?
Yes, you can use deli turkey to make a hot turkey sandwich.
The hot turkey sandwich recipe is one of the best ways to use leftover turkey and gravy. Try out this recipe and tell me how your experience was in the comments section below.