Obesity and overweight are defined as excessive or abnormal fat accumulation that can negatively affect your health. The Body mass index or BMI is an index that shows the right weight for a specific height. It is used to deter and classify overweight and obesity. The BMI is defined as the weight of a person divided by the square of his height.
For Adults, overweight is when the BMI is equal to or higher than 25, and obesity is when the number is equal to or higher than 30. BMI is the most useful population-level measure of obesity and overweight. And it is used in the same way for all adults and both sexes. Obesity has become a real struggle in the 21st century.
In 2016 close to 1.9 billion adults were overweight. And 650 million of those adults are obese. Overall that is 13% of the whole world population. Also, obesity among adolescents and children has risen dramatically. back in 1975, the number of overweight people was 4% and, in 2016 has gone up to 18%.
To know how to prevent obesity, people first need to know the base knowledge of what causes overweight and obesity. Overweight is caused by an energy imbalance between calories expended and calories consumed. An increased intake of high sugars and fatty foods and physical inactivity are the main causes.
Every one of the following overweight prevention tips helps maintain a healthy weight but also helps for losing weight.
- Consume More “Good” Fat and Less “Bad” Fat– Not all fat is bad. Many nutrition papers state that the intake of healthy dietary fats can reduce the risk of obesity but also improve cholesterol levels.
- Consume Less Sugary and Processed Foods– processed foods are high in salt, fat, and sugar. Which are the main things that encourage obesity.
- Eat More Fruits and Vegetables– the recommendation for a daily intake of vegetables and fruits is five to ten servings per day. Following this can help you reduce the risk of overweight.
- Eat Dietary Fiber– many studies on this topic show that people who took fiber complex supplements on a daily basis for 12 weeks lost 5% of their body weight.
- Try a Regular Aerobic Activity – incorporating physical activity in your daily activities is important to lose or maintain a healthy weight.
- Reduce Your Stress – stress has many effects on the mind and the body. Many essays and paper samples state that stress can trigger the brain to change eating patterns, which can lead to cravings for high-calorie foods.
Healthy Snacks For College
College is the place where students become independent, and it is the first time they are truly alone. It brings new and fun experiences and requires a certain level of preparation and maturity to make the right decisions. And some of those decisions revolve around food. Students choose snacks most of the time because they are always on the go, although many of the snacks are sugary and processed. So to make sure that you always have something healthy on your hands, we’ve made a list of the best healthy snack ideas for college students:
- Oatmeal– plain oatmeal is the best way to get away from the unnecessary sugars, and you can upgrade it with toppings like nuts or fruits
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – Eggs are full of protein that will keep you full all day long.
- Granola bars – Granola tastes delicious but doesn’t contain refined sugars.
- Nut Butters – nut butter is delicious and is an added protein to your meal.
- Roasted Edamame or Chickpeas – these are full of protein and keep you full on the go.
- Jerky – Turkey jerky is easy to munch on, and it is delicious.
- Rice Cakes – These are perfect for satisfying your cravings for something crunchy, and they have very few calories.
- Popcorn – popcorns are one of the favorites of high-fiber foods that are easy to make.
- Nuts – nuts are filled with protein, but they also contain many calories, so make sure you get a single-serving package.
- Roasted Seaweed – This snack has very few calories.
Dips and More
- Hummus – you can eat hummus with apple slices, pretzels, and veggies. You can even make your own homemade hummus.
- Fruits and Veggies – are the most important foods you need to have in your dorm.
Maintaining a healthy weight is important to maintain good health. So taking little steps like eating healthy food and visiting the gym a few times a week can help you prevent obesity and stay healthy during your college days.