If you have read the Harry Potter books (I am guessing you have. That’s why you are looking for Harry Potter recipes), you’d know that Treacle Tart was Harry’s favorite dessert. Harry loved Treacle Tart so much that under the influence of Amortentia (love potion), he could smell the tarts. It is the only thing that is mentioned in the books except for Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice. Today, we are making the Harry Potter treacle tart.
Harry Potter is one of my favorite fictional characters. So, it was a given that I had to try his favorite dessert ever. Treacle tart is a classic English dessert and is actually not a fictional one. It is made with treacle which you might also know to be golden syrup. Along with treacle, the filling also has breadcrumbs, lemon zest, and juice. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other Harry Potter recipes from our website.
The pastry dough is crumbly and then becomes crispy with a biscuit texture when baked. Also, the filling, even though it mainly constitutes golden syrup, doesn’t get too sweet. The reason is the added breadcrumbs and lemon zest and juice. It is rather refreshing. While eating it, I realized why Harry loved it so much. Let’s just move to the whole recipe for Harry Potter Treacle Tart. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other Harry Potter recipes from our website.
1. Harry Potter Butterbeer : Want to make the Harry Potter famed butterbeer at home? Well, likewise. This delicious drink is made with cream soda, butterscotch syrup, butter and some heavy cream. Make this fan-favorite drink and feel like a wizard.
2. Harry Potter Butterbeer Cookies : If you are thinking of making butterbeer themed treats, here are butterbeer cookies for you. The cookies has delicious flavors of butterscotch, vanilla, and toffee bits. Top the cookies with lightning sprinkles and they become perfect.
3. Harry Potter Polyjuice Potion : Remember the Polyjuice potion from Harry Potter? The one that lets you change your body to someone else’s? Yup, I have the muggle edible version of the drink. This polyjuice potion tastes of kiwi, lime, and apple. Topped with gummy worms, and gummy teeth, it is sure to give other spooky drinks a run.
4. Harry Potter Butterbeer Fudge : Want to have butterbeer but also some fudge? Here’s the answer to your dilemma, make the delicious butterbeer fudge. This dual layered fudge is made with butterscotch and white chocolate fudge. The fudge pieces even look like tiny butterbeer squares complete with the foam on top.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Treacle Tart?
- Stand Mixer- Just add the ingredients for the pastry dough in the stand mixer and pulse to make the pastry dough. I am afraid there are no spells for that.
- Plastic Foil- When you make the dough, wrap it up in plastic foil and refrigerate. We want a cold dough, colder than the winter at Hogwarts.
- Saucepan- The saucepan is just to make the golden syrup a little bit runny.
- 9-inch Ceramic Pie Dish- The reason I have specifically mentioned a ceramic dish instead of a pie one is that you can just slice and serve it straight out of the dish. This saves the tart from the potential ruin that may or may not happen when you are taking it out. Also, it saves dishes. All that said, you can use a normal pie dish if you want. I am just a stranger on the internet. Why would you listen to me?
- Small Bowl- The small bowl is for making the egg wash for the pastry.
- Oven- Just place the dish in the oven and let it do its magic. You can also use a tiny fire breathing dragon for it if you have one (enter: Norbert)
- Rolling Pin, Knife, Spatula, and Brush- Roll out the pastry dough with the help of a rolling pin. Cut the butter and other things with a knife. The spatula will help with stirring and mixing. Lastly, the brush will come in handy when you have to brush the pastry with egg wash. Just keeping you prepared.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Treacle Tart?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Refrigeration Time (For The Dough)||Total Time|
|40 Minutes||35 Minutes||2 Hours||3 Hours 15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Treacle Tart?
For The Pastry
- Unsalted Butter- We are making a sweet pastry crust. So, it is a given that we’ll need unsalted butter for it. Also, refrigerate the butter before adding it to the mix. It should not be exactly frozen but cold and hard.
- All-Purpose Flour- What dough has ever been made without flour? Except for play dough. That is not edible, though.
- Granulated Sugar- A little sugar to make it sweet.
- Salt- A little salt to just balance the sweetness.
- Water- Now, remember! You need to add very cold water to the dough. It’s very important. This makes the whole thing come together.
For The Filling
- Golden Syrup- Golden Syrup is the main ingredient of the filling. It is the treacle we are talking about. I called it Golden syrup and not treacle so that you don’t confuse it with black treacle.
- Fresh Breadcrumbs- Add some breadcrumbs to the mix to give a little volume and texture to the filling.
- Lemon- The zest and juice of the lemon make the filling citrusy and give it a refreshing taste.
- Egg- Mix the egg with water to make the egg wash for the top of the tart.
Steps To Make Harry Potter Treacle Tart
1. Pastrus Makus
Sadly, you have to do all the labor manually as there are no pastry spells. Take a stand mixer and add flour, sugar, and salt to it. Pulse it a few times. . Then, add the cold butter cubes to the mixer and mix until the mixture becomes crumbly.
After that, add 2 tablespoons of the very[ cold water to it and pulse again (See how I have added the ‘very’ to the ‘cold’). Add a third tablespoon if you feel the need. Mix until the dough comes together. It won’t become a solid ball, but it will just come together with a crumbly texture.
2. The Cool Dough
Knead the dough slightly using your hand so that it takes form.
Then, divide the dough into two discs. Keep one disc larger than the other. Cover them with plastic wrap and then keep them in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours. After that, take them out and let them rest until you make the filling.
3. The Golden Filling
In a saucepan, pour the golden syrup and heat it until it becomes just runny. It will take a hot minute or two. The golden syrup is the treacle and the main ingredient for this delicious tart.
Then, take the saucepan off the heat and add the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, and juice. Mix everything until combined and just like that, the filling’s ready!
4. The Tart That Baked
Take the discs out of the refrigerator and roll the bigger disc out on a lightly flour-dusted surface to a diameter of 10 inches. Also, keep the oven preheated at 200℃.
Line the pie dish with this pastry dough so that it covers the base and sides of the dish up to the rim. Then, spoon the filling into the pastry-lined dish. Roll out the smaller disc to a thickness of ⅛ inch and a diameter of 9 inches. You want it to just cover the top. You can make different designs as well. You can cut round-rimmed glasses out of the dough to make the tart closer to Harry Potter, or you can just do the lattice topping. You know, cut strips from the dough and line the dough criss-cross over the tart filling, that lattice topping.
5. Magical Tart
Then, mix egg and water in a small bowl and brush the top of the tart with that and around the edges as well. Place the pie dish in the oven and bake it for 10 minutes at 200℃ at first.
After baking it for some time, lower the temperature to 180℃ and bake the tart for about 25 minutes. Take out the tart when the pastry is golden and the filling is a bit puffed up. Slice it and serve the delicious treacle tart.
How Will The Harry Potter Treacle Tart Look And Taste Like?
The tart crust and top are beautifully golden and crispy. The filling, when baked, looks a slight brownish and is jiggly-wiggly. The pastry makes the tart delicious. The filling is sweet with a crumbly texture and the freshness and aroma of lemon. I am not sure it’d be as good as the ones Kreacher baked but I just hope that this recipe will be elf-approved.
Harry Potter Treacle Tart Recipe
- Stand Mixer
- Plastic Foil
- 9-inch Ceramic Pie Dish
- Small Bowl
- Rolling Pin, Knife, Spatula, and Brush
For The Pastry
- 1 cup + 2 ½ tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons Very Cold Water
For The Filling
- ⅞ cup + 1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 2 ¼ cups Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 1 Lemon (zest and lemon)
- 1 Egg (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
Making The Pastry
- In a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, and salt and mix them well. Then, add the cold butter to the mixer and mix until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- After that, add 2 tablespoons of very cold water to it and pulse again. Add a third tablespoon if you feel the need. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Take the dough out of the mixer and knead it slightly using your hand so that it takes form.
- Then, divide the dough into two discs. Keep one disc larger than the other. Cover them with plastic wrap and then keep them in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
Making The Filling
- In a saucepan, pour the golden syrup and heat it until it becomes just runny. It will take a hot minute or two.
- Then, take the saucepan off the heat and add the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, and juice. Mix everything until combined.
Assembling The Tart
- Take the discs out of the refrigerator and roll the bigger disc out on a lightly flour-dusted surface to a diameter of 10 inches. Also, keep the oven preheated at 200℃.
- Line the pie dish with this pastry dough so that it covers the base and sides of the dish up to the rims of the dish.
- Then, spoon the filling into the pastry-lined dish. Roll out the smaller disc to a thickness of ⅛ inch and a diameter of 9 inches. You want it to just cover the top.
- If you want, you can make a design on the top like a lattice top.
- Then, mix egg and water in a small bowl and brush the top of the tart with that.
- Place the pie dish in the oven and bake it for 10 minutes
- After baking it for some time, lower the temperature to 180℃ and bake the tart for about 25 minutes.
- Take out the tart when the pastry is golden and the filling is a bit puffed up. Slice it and serve the delicious treacle tart.
So, this was the whole recipe for Harry Potter Treacle Tart recipe. Try this recipe and tell me in the comments how magical it was. See you next time with another great recipe. Until then, ‘mischief managed’.