Harry Potter sorting hat cupcake is a great dessert idea for Harry Potter-themed as well as Halloween parties. Did you, as a child (or in my case as a grown adult), wait for your Hogwarts letter to arrive? Did you want to walk the great hall and be sorted into Gryffindor? Well, I can’t help those dreams come true. But I can help with the whole sorting hat thing.
The Harry Potter sorting hat cupcakes are topped with mini model-chocolate sorting hats. But they are not only for show. This sorting hat does the work too, sorting you into houses. Yes, the cupcakes come with colorful fillings that denote the four colors of Hogwarts. Bite into one and the color you get will be your house, forever and always. Also, you cannot tell this sorting hat not to sort you into Slytherin. That’s not how it works.
The cupcakes are delicious chocolate ones and the icing is yummy buttercream. Kids, as well as adults, will love these cupcakes, and it makes for a great game too. I can’t wait to see who gets sorted into which house. I better get Gryffindor. So, let’s make these delicious Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes and see what great Hogwarts house we get. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other Harry Potter recipes from our website.
1. Harry Potter Poke Cake : A Harry Potter butterbeer poke cake is a great cake to make for parties. The cake tastes like butterbeer and so does the icing. Poke the cake with a wooden spoon, top with condensed milk, then add some delicious butterbeer icing, and lastly some butterscotch sauce.
2. Harry Potter Butterbeer Popcorn : Want the perfect partner for your Harry Potter movie marathon? Pop some corn kernels and make some delicious butterbeer popcorn. Just make a delicious butterbeer sauce and mix it with the popcorn. Then, bake the popcorn to get crunchy butterbeer popcorn.
3. Harry Potter Fizzing Whizbees : The muggle world version of Fizzing Whizbees might not make you levitate but it’ll definitely tickle your senses. The bee shaped chocolates are filled with fruity pop rocks to give you a popping surprise element.
4. Harry Potter Amortentia Love Potion : Want to make the Harry Potter Amortentia love potion in the muggle world? Now, you can. Just get some cherries, a pint of vanilla ice cream, and some pink shimmer dust. Then, brew it all up and you’ll a delicious pink drink complete with the mother-of-pearl like sheen.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes?
- Cupcake Tin lined with Cupcake Liners – Keep your cupcake tin ready by filling them with liners. Make sure you get a tin that can bake 12 cupcakes.
- Oven – Bake your delicious cupcakes in the oven and then get them ready for icing.
- Large Bowls and Small Bowls – The large bowls will be used when making the batter and the icing. The small bowls will be used to make the colorful icing.
- Electric Hand Whisk – Use the electric hand whisk to get the mixing done quickly.
- Piping Bag fitted with Fluted Tip – You need to top the cupcakes with icing. So, better keep the piping bag close too.
- Large Spoon – Use the spoon for mixing, filling the cupcakes, and spooning the icing into the piping bag.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|40 Minutes||30 Minutes||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes?
For The Cupcakes
- Self-Raising Flour – The cupcakes are your usual chocolate cupcakes. The self-raising flour takes out the need to add extra leavenings.
- Unsalted Butter – Add a lot of butter for rich and fluffy cupcakes.
- Light Brown Sugar – We are going to fill and top the cupcake with icing so try not to make the cupcake overly sweet. The light brown sugar adds a mild sweet touch to the cupcakes.
- Cocoa Powder – Chocolate cupcakes need cocoa powder. It is kind of the whole point.
- Eggs – Add lightly beaten eggs into the mix to make delicious and moist mini cakes.
For The Icing
- Butter – The icing for the cupcakes is buttercream. So naturally, you’ll need softened butter to make it. Also, it must be unsalted.
- Icing Sugar – Sift some sugar over the butter and mix vigorously to make the delicious and fluffy icing.
- Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue Food Coloring – Mix colors in the icing for the four houses. It’s red for Gryffindor, yellow for Hufflepuff, blue for Ravenclaw, and green for Slytherin.
For The Sorting Hat
- Modelling Milk Chocolate – Make tiny sorting hats with modeling chocolate. Here’s the chance to show off some serious sculpting skills.
- Cocoa Powder – Then, make them look a bit rusty by topping them with cocoa powder.
Steps To Make Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes
1. Chocolate Batter
You need to do two things before you start making the cupcakes. The first thing is to preset the oven at 180℃ so that it is heated. The second thing is to line your cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
Then, take a large bowl and add flour, eggs, sugar, butter, and cocoa powder to a bowl. Pour a little bit of boiling water over them and mix them until a smooth batter is formed. Pour equal amounts of batter into the cupcake liners and bake them for 20 minutes.
2. The Four Great Houses
Take another large bowl and mix butter and sugar in it until fluffy. Spoon ¾th of the icing into the piping bag. Divide the remaining icing equally into 4 bowls and mix different colors in each one of them. Now, you have the colors of the 4 houses.
Spoon a little bit of the top from each cupcake and spoon some of the colored fillings into them. Make three cupcakes of the same color. Then, you can shuffle them before serving. It’s kind of like a cupcake roulette.
3. Commence The Sorting Ceremony
Put the spooned cake back and pipe some icing over the top of the cupcakes. Use the modeling chocolate to make tiny sorting hats and place them over the icing. Use your artistic skills to make it look like the real sorting hat and make the eyes and mouth with a toothpick.
Sift some cocoa powder over the cupcakes and serve. This will give it a rusty look. Your delicious sorting hat cupcakes are ready! Now, bite one and scream your house name. GRYFFINDOR!
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
How Will The Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes Look And Taste Like?
The cupcakes look amazing with the tiny rusty sitting hats. The colored fillings make it so much fun. The chocolate cupcakes are mildly sweet and are perfectly complemented by the sweet buttercream. The chocolate hats are an added treat. This is just a fun way to make and bake cupcakes.
Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes Recipe
- Cupcake Tin lined with Cupcake Liners
- 2 Large Bowls
- 4 Small Bowls
- Electric Hand Whisk
- Piping Bag fitted with Fluted
- Large Spoon
For The Cupcakes
- 1 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 175 g Unsalted Butter
- 175 g Light Brown Sugar
- 50 g Cocoa Powder
- 3 medium Eggs
For The Icing
- 200 g Butter (softened)
- 350 g Icing Sugar (sifted)
- Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue Food Coloring
For The Sorting Hat
- 175 g Modelling Milk Chocolate
- Cocoa Powder (to garnish)
- You need to do two things before you start making the cupcakes. The first thing is to preset the oven at 180℃ and line your cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Then, take a large bowl and add flour, eggs, sugar, butter, and cocoa powder to a bowl. Pour a little bit of boiling water over them and mix them until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into the cupcake liners and bake them for 20 minutes.
- Take another large bowl and mix butter and sugar in it until fluffy. Spoon ¾th of the icing into the piping bag. Divide the remaining icing equally into 4 bowls and mix different colors in each one of them.
- Spoon a little bit of the top from each cupcake and spoon some of the colored fillings into them. Make three cupcakes of the same color.
- Put the spooned cake back and pipe some icing over the top of the cupcakes. Use the modeling chocolate to make tiny sorting hats and place them over the icing.
- Sift some cocoa powder over the cupcakes and serve. Your delicious sorting hat cupcakes are ready!
This was the complete recipe for the Harry Potter Sorting Hat Cupcakes. Try to make them and tell me in the comments what Hogwarts house did you got sorted into. See you next time.