What comes to mind when I say I am making the Harry Potter cockroach clusters at home? Probably, a gross-looking candy that has something to do with cockroaches. Am I right? To be honest, that was my reaction as well when I first read about it in the books. It was in Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban that Ron first mentioned the cockroach clusters when he wanted to trick Fred into biting into one.
The cockroach clusters are made from actual cockroaches (Trust me, I am ‘ewwing’). They are candied cockroaches (ew again) that are shaped like peanuts (the return of ew). To shock you, even more, candied cockroaches also exist in the muggle world and are considered novelties. In the wizarding world, they are considered treats and can be found at the Honeydukes Sweetshop.
Well, relax! The version I am making looks and tastes and delicious. Yes, yes, there are no cockroaches in this recipe. Everything is traditionally edible and delicious. This could easily become your favorite treat to eat alone or share with kids (unwillingly). So, prep your pans and let’s make the Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other Harry Potter recipes from our website.
1. Hagrid’s Rock Cakes From Harry Potter : Hagrid’s rock cakes might not be the best cakes for tea party but you can turn around with our recipe. The delicious fruitcakes are made with your traditional cake ingredients. Just add a few raisins to the mix and bake.
2. Harry Potter Fizzing Whizbees : The muggle world version of Fizzing Whizbees might not make you levitate but it’ll definitely tickle your senses. The bee shaped chocolates are filled with fruity pop rocks to give you a popping surprise element.
3. Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes : The cauldron cakes at Universal Studios come in little silicon molds. We want the same cuteness but at home. Just bake a delicious cake in the mold, top it with flame buttercream and chill it. You can chill too.
4. Harry Potter Amortentia Love Potion : Want to make the Harry Potter Amortentia love potion in the muggle world? Now, you can. Just get some cherries, a pint of vanilla ice cream, and some pink shimmer dust. Then, brew it all up and you’ll a delicious pink drink complete with the mother-of-pearl like sheen.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make The Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters?
- Double Boiler – You need the double boiler to melt the chocolate chips. If you don’t own one, here’s how you can make a make-shift double boiler chocolate-melter thingy. Just bring a saucepan filled with water to a boil and place a large bowl filled with chocolate chips over it. This is the way to melt the chocolate chips over indirect heat.
- Chocolate Bar Candy Molds – You’ll be needing two of these molds that have eight spaces each.
- Spatula and Spoon – Use the spatula to stir the chocolate when melting it and spoon to spoon it in the molds. See how I used a spoon both as a noun, a verb, and a kitchen article.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make The Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Freezing Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||5 Minutes||50 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make The Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters?
- Dark Chocolate Chips – Get a bag of chocolate chips that you can melt to make the chocolate clusters.
- Pecan Halves – Here’s your substitution for cockroaches. I mean, they look somewhat like cockroaches when halved (I am not trying to put you off pecans, but you have to agree. I have a point).
Steps To Make The The Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters
1. Double The Boiler, Double The Heat
You need a double boiler to melt the chocolate chips. So, empty the bag of chocolate chips in the double boiler. Keep stirring the chips frequently using a spatula. If you don’t want to clean up afterward, you can also use the spoon that you’ll be using to spoon the chocolate. Heat the chips until they are melted completely.
2. Chocolate Spooning
Then, take the candy molds and spoon the hot melted chocolate into the candy molds.
After that, take the pecan halves and press two each in the hot chocolate in the molds. Keep the flat side of the pecans up. This will give the visual effect of the cockroaches. What? We also need to stay a little true to the research material.
3. Absolute Zero
Place the molds in the freezer for about 20 minutes until the cockroaches (pecans here) freeze completely and are set. Take the molds out of the freezer and then the clusters out of the molds. Plate this despicable (now impeccable) treats and enjoy. Your delicious cockroach clusters are ready!
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
How Will The Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters Look And Taste Like?
The Harry Potter cockroach clusters look like cockroaches (pecans here, giving you a gentle reminder) embedded in dark chocolate. They taste delicious with the crunch of pecans and the sweet and bitter taste of dark chocolate. These are simple treats you can make in the span of 5 minutes. After that, just chill. So, I hope I have changed the meaning of chocolate clusters for you. You are welcome!
Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters Recipe
- Double Boiler
- 2 Chocolate Bar Candy Molds
- 1 bag Dark Chocolate Chips
- ¼ pound Whole Pecan Halves
- In a double boiler, empty the bag of chocolate chips. Keep stirring the chips frequently until they are melted completely.
- Then, take the candy molds and spoon the hot melted chocolate into the candy molds.
- After that, take the pecan halves and press two each in the hot chocolate in the molds. Keep the flat side of the pecans up.
- Place the molds in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until they are completely set.
- Take the molds out of the freezer and then the clusters out of the molds. Your delicious cockroach clusters are ready!
This was all about the Harry Potter cockroach clusters. I hope you liked this recipe. If you did, tell me in the comments how much. It’ll make me happy. See you next time with another recipe.