The Harry Potter cauldron cakes are cakes for wizards. According to the books, these popular cakes were available at the Honeydukes Trolley on the Hogwarts Express. Harry bought many of these the first time he boarded the train, along with other sweets. There’s not much mentioned about the cauldron cakes in the books.
We know about the cakes from the version they sell at Universal Studios. The cauldron cakes at Universal Studios are mini cakes that come in small silicon cauldrons. The cakes are served cold and topped with a flame-like buttercream frosting. You can also make these Harry Potter themed cakes easily at your home and kids love themed cakes and decorations. So while making this cake, you can also decorate the room with Harry Potter birthday decorations.
The silicon cauldrons are reusable. So, if you visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and buy a cauldron cake, you can make another cake in the mold. The whole thing is pretty cute. This cake is pretty simple to make. Get some buttercream frosting, add some color to it and go frosting.
For the Honeydukes likeness, chill the cakes. Like revenge, these cakes are best served cold (dark, I know. Been practicing some forbidden spells recently). So, without making any more dark jokes, let’s move to the Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes recipe. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other Harry Potter recipes from our website.
1. Hagrid’s Rock Cakes From Harry Potter: Hagrid’s rock cakes might not be the best cakes for tea parties but you can turn around with our recipe. The delicious fruitcakes are made with your traditional cake ingredients. Just add a few raisins to the mix and bake.
2. Harry Potter Cockroach Clusters: The real cockroach clusters are good for pranks but not for real-life delicacies. For a better edible version, try making them with some dark chocolate and halved pecans. Sounds good? That’s because they are.
3. Harry Potter Fizzing Whizbees: The muggle world version of Fizzing Whizbees might not make you levitate but it’ll definitely tickle your senses. The bee-shaped chocolates are filled with fruity pop rocks to give you a popping surprise element.
4. Harry Potter Amortentia Love Potion: Want to make the Harry Potter Amortentia love potion in the muggle world? Now, you can. Just get some cherries, a pint of vanilla ice cream, and some pink shimmer dust. Then, brew it all up and you’ll have a delicious pink drink complete with the mother-of-pearl-like sheen.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes?
- Small Bowls – Take small bowls for this recipe. One for the batter and two for the frosting.
- Silicon Cauldron Mold – Get a tiny and cute silicone cauldron to bake the cake.
- Baking Sheet – Place the baking sheet beneath the cauldron so that it doesn’t stick.
- Oven – Bake the cauldron cake in the oven.
- Plastic Wrap And Piping Bag – These are used for frosting the cake. Pour the frosting cream with a help of plastic wrap and piping bag.
- Whisk – Mix in all the components using a whisk.
- Spatula – While you mix the components with a whisk, fold it with a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||50 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes?
- All-Purpose Flour – Add some flour to give the cake a body.
- Salt – Balance the sweetness with a pinch of salt.
- Sugar – Add sugar and sweetness as per your taste and preference.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder is the leavenings for the cake. Add a pinch of baking powder to the cake mix.
- Cocoa Powder – The cocoa powder transforms the cake from a vanilla one to a chocolate one.
- Vegetable Oil – Add some oil to the batter to smoothen and richen things.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk makes the cake batter smooth and adds a sweet yet tangy touch to it.
- Egg – Drop one egg in the batter to make the cake moist and fluffy.
- Vanilla Extract – Pour a few drops of vanilla in the batter for that heavenly goodness.
- French Buttercream Frosting – Get some buttercream frosting for the cake. I Used store-bought for my recipe.
- Food Gel – For the flame effect, use red and yellow food gels in the frosting.
Steps To Make Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes
1. Whisky Business
First, let’s make the batter for the chocolate cake. Take a small bowl and add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Mix everything with a whisk and your dry mixture is ready.
When the dry ingredients are mixed, add vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Also, break an egg in the bowl and mix thoroughly and vigorously to make the batter for the cake.
2. Little Cauldron
Pour the thick and smooth batter into the silicon cauldron mold. Don’t fill it up to the brim, but only two-thirds of the mold. You don’t want the ingredients to spill out now, do you? Place the cauldron mold on a baking sheet.
Put the baking sheet in the oven that has been preheated to about 375℉ and bake the cake for about 30 minutes (Is it too late to mention that you should preheat the oven for baking the cake. Well, it’s done now!). Then, take it out and let it cool; you can also keep it in the refrigerator.
3. Dual Frosting
Now, take two small bowls and divide the buttercream equally into the two bowls. Add red food gel into one bowl and yellow food gel in another and mix. Place the frosting in two separate square plastic wraps and roll them. Put both of these frostings in the piping bag and add a star tip to it (for dramatic effect).
Add the frosting on top of the cake and add it in multiple layers so that it gives a flame-like effect. If you want, you can chill the cake overnight to get the perfect copycat of the Honeydukes cake. Your delicious cauldron cake is ready!
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
How Will The Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes Look And Taste Like?
The cake looks very cute but fierce in a tiny cauldron with the flame frosting. It almost looks too pretty to eat. It is the exact copy of the one at Universal Studios. The cake is delicious and moist. It tastes better when cold with the frosting set. The frosting is sweet and smooth. Bake this cake at home to feel like Bathilda Bagshot (she used to bake her own cauldron cakes).
Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes Recipe
- 3 Small Bowls
- Silicon Cauldron Mold
- Baking Sheet
- Plastic Wrap
- Piping Bag
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups French Buttercream Frosting
- ¼ teaspoon Red Food Gel
- ¼ teaspoon Yellow Food Gel
- In a small bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Mix everything with a whisk.
- When the dry ingredients are mixed, add vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Also, break an egg in the bowl. Mix thoroughly to make the batter for the cake.
- Pour the thick batter into the silicon cauldron mold. Don’t fill it up to the brim but only two-thirds of the mold. Place the mold on a baking sheet
- Put the baking sheet in the oven that has been preheated to about 375℉ and bake the cake for about 30 minutes.
- Then, take it out and let it cool. Take two small bowls and divide the buttercream equally into the two bowls. Add red food gel into one bowl and yellow food gel in another and mix.
- Place the frosting in two separate square plastic wraps and roll them. Put both of these frostings in the piping bag and add a star tip to it.
- Add the frosting on top of the cake and add it in multiple layers so that it gives a flame-like effect. Your delicious cauldron cake is ready!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are cauldron cakes made of?
The cauldron cakes are made of chocolate glaze, buttermilk frosting, and loaded with marshmallow filling to the brim.
What do cauldron cakes taste like?
Cauldron cakes taste delectable with sweet and tangy flavors of vanilla, whipped cream, and chocolate.
What are cauldron cakes in Harry Potter?
A popular wizarding cake variant in Harry Potter was cauldron cakes. They were brought in Hogwart express in the food trolley.
How much does a cauldron cake cost?
The new Cauldron cake costs $9. Despite being expensive, Harry Potter fans love the cauldron treat.
So, this was the recipe for the Harry Potter Cauldron Cakes. Tell me in the comments, how fiery you found this cake. See you next time with another recipe.