Today we are going to learn how to prepare a traditional dish from Scotland called Haggis.
We should keep a good hand on traditional dishes too so that the essence of traditions does not fade away with time. But do you know that this Scottish pudding is banned in the U.S. since 1971 because of the import of livestock lungs of any animal by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. But in reality, this recipe is filled with some healthy nutrients like iron, magnesium, selenium, calcium, zinc and copper.
To make haggis pudding, we have to put the sheep’s stomach in cold salted water overnight. Boil the sheep’s liver, heart and tongue and season them with salt, pepper and herbs. Put this mixture inside the stomach and put it gently in boiling water and cook it for some hours. The dish is ready to be served.
But this was just an overview of the full recipe as more detailed steps are mentioned below. But first, let’s check out the ingredients that you can buy from any nearest supermarket.
Ingredients For Haggis
- 1 Sheep Stomach
- 1 Sheep Liver
- 1 Sheep Heart
- 1 Sheep Tongue
- 1/2 pound Suet
- 3 medium Onions
- 1/2 pound Dry Oats (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dried Ground Herbs
Collect all the above ingredients to make this special Scottish dish. Now we should also know exactly how much time the haggis will take to be prepared. The table below will update you about the time taken.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Haggis?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 minutes||5 hours||5 hours and 5 minutes|
Steps to Make Haggis
- First, rinse the sheep stomach thoroughly and soak it overnight in cold saltwater.
- Rinse the sheep liver, heart and tongue. In a large boiling pot, cook these things in salted water for 2 hours over medium flame. Remove and mince and remove any extra skins and discard them.
- Take a large bowl, combine the liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions and oats. Mix all of them properly. Season it with salt, pepper and herbs. Remove the stomach from cold water and fill 2/3rd of the mixture. Then tie the stomach closed with the mixture inside it. This will prevent the dish from bursting.
- Take a large boiling pot with boiling water and gently place the stomach in it, without splashing the mixture in it. Cook it for over 3 hours. The haggis is ready.
- Take a small bowl, mash some boiled potatoes with salt seasoning and serve it with the haggis.
That’s it. You are done with your traditional Scottish haggis recipe. This authentic recipe will sound unfamiliar but the end result will be so awesome.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Haggis
The next thing that’s very important to know is the nutritional content in haggis. The table below has all the relevant details about it.
How To Make Haggis At Home | Video
Visuals clarify things better. I hope it helps and guides you through.
Thanks for stopping by this corner! Try it yourself and fall in love with this. Keep sending in your feedback and suggestions in the comment section below. Let us know if you want us to write down any specific recipe for you. Till then walk through some other interesting recipes on our site. Eat healthily and live happily.