Today we are going to learn how to prepare a traditional dish from Scotland called Haggis. Haggis is traditionally made with the sheep’s stomach filled with its heart, liver and tongue.
We should keep a good hand on traditional dishes too so that the essence of traditions does not fade away with time. This recipe is filled with some healthy nutrients like iron, magnesium, selenium, calcium, zinc and copper.
To make haggis pudding, we have to put the sheep’s stomach in cold salted water overnight. Boil the sheep’s liver, heart and tongue and season them with salt, pepper and herbs. Put this mixture inside the stomach and put it gently in boiling water and cook it for some hours. The dish is ready to be served.
But this was just an overview of the full recipe, as more detailed steps are mentioned below. But first, let’s check out the ingredients that you’ll be needing for this recipe.
- Large Pot
- 1 Sheep Stomach
- 1 Sheep Liver
- 1 Sheep Heart
- 1 Sheep Tongue
- 1/2 Pound Suet
- 3 Medium Onions
- 1/2 Pound Dry Oats
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Ground Herbs
- First, rinse the sheep's stomach thoroughly and soak it overnight in cold saltwater.
- Rinse the sheep's liver, heart and tongue. In a large pot with boiling water, cook these in salted water for 2 hours over medium flame. Remove and mince and remove any extra skins and discard them.
- Take a large bowl, combine the liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions and oats. Mix all of them properly. Season it with salt, pepper and herbs. Remove the stomach from cold water and fill 2/3rd of the mixture. Then tie the stomach closed with the mixture inside it. This will prevent the dish from bursting.
- Take a large pot with boiling water and gently place the stomach in it without splashing the mixture in it. Cook it for over 3 hours. The haggis is ready.
- Take a small bowl, mash some boiled potatoes with salt seasoning and serve it with the haggis.