The gyro is a classic Greek meat dish. It is both delicious and easy to make. It can be made with a variety of meat like lamb, beef, or pork. So, you make it however you like and enjoy.
Traditionally, gyros are made with meat that has been cooked on a vertical split. The meat is shaved and then served. This method is used in many Greek restaurants and the meat served is delicious with a smoked flavor. But this method isn’t possible to try at home. Instead, you can grill or fry the meat. You should definitely make this dish at home.
To make gyros, mix ground meat, salt, black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, oregano, garlic, onions and lemon juice in a bowl. Make oblong patties and cook them. Then, spread tzatziki sauce on a flatbread. Add lettuce, tomatoes and onions. Lay the patty on top and fold the bread. Gyros are ready to be served.
This was just a short-cut way of the recipe. You’ll find the complete recipe going down. Before that, let’s start with gathering the ingredients.
Ingredients For Gyros
- 1 pound Ground Lamb or Beef
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 Red Onion (minced)
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- Oil, for grilling or frying, as needed
- 4 rounds Flatbread
- 4 leaves Lettuce
- 1 medium Tomato (sliced)
- 1/2 medium Onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Tzatziki Sauce
All of these ingredients are easy to find and are enough for 4 people. If you want to make the tzatziki sauce at home as well, simply mix Greek yoghurt, sour cream, cucumbers and dill pickle.
Now, Let’s see how much time do you need to make these.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Gyros At Home?
|Preparation Time||Marinating Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||60 Minutes||8 Minutes||78 Minutes|
The preparation time and cooking time for this recipe is really less. So, you can easily make this recipe at home without spending the whole day in the kitchen. Finally, let’s see the details of this recipe.
Steps To Make Gyros
- Let’s start by making the meat mix for the patties. In a bowl, take the ground meat. To this, add salt, black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, oregano, garlic, red onion and lime juice. Mix well.
- Make four equal portions of the meat. Shape them into long and thin patties, so they fit the flatbread. If you want to know the exact dimensions, try to keep them 6 inches in length, 3 inches in width and thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- After this is done, refrigerate them for an hour to marinate, so the ingredients sit well with each. This is important and shouldn’t be overlooked.
- The method of cooking the patties is up to you. You can grill, pan-grill, or fry them. In any case, preheat the grill, pan-grill, or skillet.
- If grilling, brush the patties with oil on both sides. For frying, take oil in a pan and fry each side for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then, begin assembling the sandwiches. Take the flatbread and spread tzatziki sauce on the center of it.
- Put lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions on it.
- Lay the patty on this bed of sauce and vegetables and fold the bread blanketing the lamb in the middle.
- Now, all there’s left to do is serve and enjoy.
This recipe is high on the delicious scale but is it high on the nutritious scale? Let’s find out!
Nutritional Breakdown Of Gyros
Here is a table of the nutritional value of this recipe.
|Nutritional Value||Per Serving|
How To Make Gyros At Home | Video
In case you weren’t able to understand any part of the recipe, I’ve added a similar recipe video that’ll be of help. Check it out!
That was all about the Gyro recipe. You should try making it and tell me how much you liked it. Also, suggestions and queries are all welcome in the comments. Till next time!