The gyro is a classic Greek meat dish. It is both delicious and easy to make. It can be made with a variety of meat like lamb, beef, or pork. So, you make it however you like and enjoy.
Traditionally, gyros are made with meat that has been cooked on a vertical split. The meat is shaved and then served. This method is used in many Greek restaurants and the meat served is delicious with a smoked flavor. But this method isn’t possible to try at home. Instead, you can grill or fry the meat. You should definitely make this dish at home.
To make gyros, mix ground meat, salt, black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, oregano, garlic, onions and lemon juice in a bowl. Make oblong patties and cook them. Then, spread tzatziki sauce on a flatbread. Add lettuce, tomatoes and onions. Lay the patty on top and fold the bread. Gyros are ready to be served.
You can also use rock salt to season your gyros. If you don’t have rock salt at home, you can use any of its substitutes.
This was just a short-cut way of the recipe. You’ll find the complete recipe going down. Before that, let’s start with gathering the ingredients. There are other street food recipes that we’ve covered that you should also check as well.
1. Salt Beef Bagel– London is a great place to eat street food and one of the most popular food in London are the salt beef bagels. Salt beef bagels are an ethnic dish that is mostly made by Jewish people.
2. Amritsari Chole Kulcha– Amritsari chole kulcha is a famous dish from Indian cuisine. It consists of spicy cooked chickpea and kulcha. It is served with tamarind sauce, onions, tomatoes, and coriander. It is a complete meal and is a great recipe to fulfill your cravings.
3. Potato Samosa– Potato samosa is a great snack. It is delicious and easy to make. It is a savory and spicy snack and is served with a spicy and sweet tamarind sauce.
4. Streets Special Vada Pav– Vada pav is an Indian-style spicy and vegetarian burger. It is famous street food in the Indian state, Maharashtra. Vada pav is a sliced bread roll filled with fried potato dumplings.
- 1 pound Ground Lamb or Beef
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Minced Cloves Garlic
- ¼ Minced Red Onion
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 4 rounds Flatbread
- 4 leaves Lettuce
- 1 medium Sliced Tomato
- ½ medium Sliced Onion
- ¼ cup Tzatziki Sauce
- Let's start by making the meat mix for the patties. In a bowl, take the ground meat. To this, add salt, black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, oregano, garlic, red onion and lime juice. Mix well.
- Make four equal portions of the meat. Shape them into long and thin patties so they fit the flatbread. If you want to know the exact dimensions, try to keep them 6 inches in length, 3 inches in width and thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- After this is done, refrigerate them for an hour to marinate, so the ingredients sit well with each. This is important and shouldn't be overlooked.
- The method of cooking the patties is up to you. You can grill, pan-grill, or fry them. In any case, preheat the grill, pan-grill, or skillet.
- If grilling, brush the patties with oil on both sides. For frying, take oil in a pan and fry each side for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then, begin assembling the sandwiches. Take the flatbread and spread tzatziki sauce on the center of it.
- Put lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions on it.
- Lay the patty on this bed of sauce and vegetables and fold the bread blanketing the lamb in the middle.
- Now, all there's left to do is serve and enjoy.
That was all about the Gyro recipe. You should try making it and tell me how much you liked it. Also, suggestions and queries are all welcome in the comments. Till next time!