Some caramelized onions with melted cheese and roasted Tri-Tip stacked between two thick slices of ciabatta make a luscious sandwich that’s called the great Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwich.
I got hooked to the sandwich back in high school and since then, my love for it has only grown. This sandwich reminds me of all the long drives and picnics with my friends, as it was our “easy to grab” snack and we loved how fulfilling it tasted.
Tri-tip is the 1.5-2.5 pounds of meat that comes from the bottom (tip) of the sirloin. It is also known by so many other names like California cut, Newport steak, sirloin tip, sirloin butt, culotte, bottom sirloin, top sirloin and more — that it’s sometimes a bit of work to make it clear what you want.
Tri-Tip is an excellent source of Niacin, Protein, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, and Zinc and a good Iron, Riboflavin, and Phosphorus source. It has less than 10 grams of fat in a 3-ounce serving, as it is considered a lean cut of meat. All these nutrients have a special role to play in our diet.
So, why not try this juicy sandwich at home and make our get-togethers, short trips or parties full of good flavours. Let’s quickly collect the ingredients and get started
Ingredients for Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwiches
For the Tri-Tip
|Cayenne Pepper||1 tbsp|
|Trimmed Tri-Tip Roast||2-3 pounds|
|Chilli Powder||2 tbsp|
|Ground Cumin||2 tbsp|
|Brown Sugar||2 tbsp|
|White Sugar||2 tbsp|
|Ground Black Pepper||2 tbsp|
For the Sandwich
|Ciabatta Bread||1 loaf|
|Minced Garlic||1 tbsp|
|Chopped Rosemary||1 tbsp|
How much time will it take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Garnishing Time||Total Time|
|About 3 Hours (Marinating takes time)||5-10 Minutes||5 Minutes||About 3 Hours and 15 Minutes|
Tri-Tip Sandwiches Recipe
- Make a seasoning of paprika, cumin, chilli powder, salt, pepper, white sugar, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper and apply it on both sides of tri-tip. Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (Refrigerate for about 3 days for intense flavours).
- While the tri-tip marinates, blend lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic and rosemary in a bowl. Cover the tangy paste and refrigerate until needed.
- Remove the tri-tip 1 hour prior to grilling it.
- For grilling, preheat grill to 500°F. Place tri-tip over direct heat for about 4 minutes on each side. Turn the burners to medium heat, close lid and cook for some time until internal temperature reaches 130°F to 140°F. Remove from grill.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the ciabatta into 1-inch slices and grill it in a little of the butter.
- Layer one slice of ciabatta with the tangy paste, top it up with slices of tri-tip, provolone and arugula.
- Stack it up with caramelized onions and topping of your choice. And, the juicy tri-tip sandwich is ready!
Your Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwich is ready. Make sure to follow all the steps that I’ve mentioned above to make this sandwich tasty and delicious as I’ve told you above.
Nutrition Facts about Grilled Tri-Tip Sandwich
For all the health conscious people out there, I’ve added the nutritional breakdown of this Tri-Tip sandwich below.
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Vitamin A||135 μg|
|Vitamin C||22.5 mg|
Note– This breakdown of nutrients is for a Serving Size of 1 sandwich (335g).
How to Make Tri-Tip Sandwich at Home | Video
If you are finding it difficult to make this sandwich at home, then I’ve added a recipe video below. After watching the video, it’ll be easier for you to make this grilled tri-tip sandwich at home.
Do give this pack of flavours a try and share it with your friends and family. I am sure you all will love it and want to try multiple times. Let us know in the comment section about your experience with the recipe. Good luck!