As a child, I always used to wonder if the tomatoes are fruit or vegetable? Well, I guess I got my answer later but one thing that got stuck into my mind was that I never saw any recipe of tomatoes in which only tomatoes were used as a primary vegetable and no other veggies were used at all.
Yes, Not tomato soup. So, when I told my mom about this thought of mine, she was surprised and said ok, let’s make Grilled Green Tomatoes and I was lucky enough to witness the whole procedure she followed. So I thought to share the whole recipe with you guys.
But this recipe of Grilled Green Tomatoes is different. I tried to make only tomatoes without using any other vegetable. And the idea of grilling was really good. My mom made it really easy for me to understand how it’s done. One should try this Grilled Green Tomatoes recipe at least once as it tastes really good.
In this recipe, you will only need the tomatoes which are the only vegetable that we need. And the tomatoes should be green and not red. Yes, you heard it right, no red tomatoes.
Now let’s check out the other ingredients that you need to make Grilled Green Tomatoes at home. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
1. American Vegetable Chop Suey– This recipe is a combination of fried noodles, tangy sauces, and vegetables to add on to its delight. The sauce with a combo of veggies just slips smoothly on our tongue and the crisp of noodles just adds on to the pleasure of eating.
2. Fried Green Tomatoes– Fried green tomatoes are a classic Southern dish made with sliced unripe green tomatoes. They’re a must-have during summer when tomatoes are in season.
3. Sous Vide Mushrooms– These sous vide mushrooms are nicely firm and have a juicy, succulent texture and a great flavor.
4. Vegetable Gold Coins with Sesame Coating– The Vegetable Gold Coin is the vegetarian version of the very famous Chinese appetizer known as Chicken Gold Coil.
Ingredients for Grilled Green Tomatoes
For Grilled Tomatoes
|Fresh Green tomatoes||450 gms|
|Basil leaves||A few|
|Chilli flakes||¼ tsp|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Black pepper||¼ tbsp|
|Greek yogurt||250 gms|
|Red Onion||½ pc|
|Dijon mustard||1 tsp|
|Paprika powder||¼ tsp|
|Chopped chives||2 tsp|
How to select the tomatoes: Well, as I said above the tomatoes should be green and not very big in size. Take medium size tomatoes which you feel are not too small. And can be cut into two or three slices.
You can get all these ingredients from any supermarket. I still remember that when I was watching my mother make this Grilled Green Tomatoes for the first time, I was wondering how much time will this recipe is going to take.
Don’t worry! You don’t have to wonder because I will tell you how much time does it take to make the Grilled Green Tomatoes.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|20 minutes||16 minutes||36 minutes|
Now is the part of what we are all waiting for. Yes! you guessed it right. I am talking about the Grilled Green Tomatoes Recipe.
Grilled Green Tomatoes Recipe
- Wash the tomatoes, and rinse.
- Cut a thin slice on top and bottom of each tomato, and you won’t have any rounded slices.
- Cut the tomatoes, roughly 0.25 cm/1⁄4 inch thick.
- In a cup, add olive oil, grated cloves of garlic, chili flakes, some salt and pepper.
- Add the slices of tomatoes and mix to coat well. If you’ve got the time, you can marinate the tomatoes for 15 to 30 minutes but it’s not necessary.
- Heat up a medium-heat grill plate.
- Add slices of tomato to the saucepan. If the bowl includes any leftover marinade, book it.
- After grilling the tomatoes on one hand for about 3 minutes. Flip onto the other hand using tongs and grill for another 2-3 minutes. They should have nice char traces, and they should become softer, but not soft or mushy. They should still be keeping their form.
- Place the grilled tomatoes on a serving plate, then pour over the reserved marinade.
- Finely chop the red onion. Place it in a small bowl.
- Add the Greek yogurt, mustard, 1 teaspoon honey, vinegar, paprika powder, salt and pepper and most of the chives. Stir well.
- Adjust the taste with more honey, if necessary. Sprinkle the remaining chives on top.
- Serve the grilled green tomatoes with the yogurt sauce and some fresh basil leaves.
Now your Grilled Green Tomatoes are ready. Make this healthy dish at your home and enjoy it at evening with your friends and family
Nutritional Facts of Grilled Green Tomatoes
This recipe is a delight to eat and also good for your health. No added preservatives or any harm causing ingredients. So, I’ve added a nutritional breakdown of the Grilled Green Tomatoes
How to Make Grilled Green Tomatoes at Home | Video
I learnt this recipe from my mother when she used to cook this recipe in front of me. So I’ve also added a video of the recipe of Grilled Green Tomatoes, so it’ll be easier for you to make it at home.
I hope you’ve liked this Grilled Green Tomatoes recipe of Grilled Green Tomatoes. I highly recommend you to make this at home and share your reviews with us in the comments section below.