Pizza is the food for the soul! It has come a long way– from simple cheese topped pizza to being crowned with roasted/ fresh veggies, seafood, various sauces and herbs. Pizzas have been playing a significant role in cheering us up on those gloomy days.
So, let’s take a minute and give it a great round of applause for being the solution to a lot of our problems. Here, I would also like to talk a bit about the evolution of a Pizza. Baker Raffaele Esposito from Naples, Italy, is often given credit for making the first pizza. Street vendors sold flatbreads with toppings at that time. It slowly evolved into the modern pizza.
When I am blue, I eat a pizza when I want to celebrate when friends are over or maybe when there’s nothing to do. Well, this is so because I have grasped the skill of baking a delicious pizza at home and would love to share the recipe with you all. So, read further to know the process of preparing a pizza at home from scratch.
The essential ingredients required in the making of a delicious Gregg’s famous pizza are given below. Do have a look into the table and get ready to make a pizza of your own.
Ingredients Required for Gregg’s Pizza
For Pizza Dough
|Bread or flour||4 cups (560 g)|
|Kosher or Sea Salt||1 1/2 tbsp (7 g)|
|Basil and Oregano (optional)||1 tbsp (5 g)|
For Pizza Sauce
|Crushed Tomatoes||20 oz. can|
|Tomato Paste||4 oz. can|
|Garlic Powder||1/2 tbsp|
|Sea Salt||2 tbsp|
|Black Pepper||3/4 tbsp|
|Red Pepper||1/8 tbsp|
|Chopped bacon||1 cup|
|Minced meat||1 cup|
All the above ingredients are readily available in supermarkets. Grab them and create your magic.
Getting the dough ready takes time. Try kneading the dough one day before making the pizzas. After that, it’s a couple of minutes of the task and you’re through. Check out the table below for details.
How Much Time Will it Take?
|Preparation Time For Dough||Preparation Time For Sauce||Making Time||GarnishingTime||Total Time|
|Preparing dough- 15 min||5 min||25 min||5 min||50 min|
The time investment in the recipe is all worth it. Trust me; you’ll get the best tasting homemade pizzas as a result. Now let’s dive into the process of the recipe. Follow these steps with love and get excellent results.
Gregg’s Pizza Recipe
Let’s see what goes into making the dough and the pizza sauce.
For Pizza Dough
- Add all the dry ingredients (bread flour, Pizza Topper = basil, oregano, onion, garlic, and parsley) in a mixing jar. Mix well.
- Now, slowly add yeast to the dry ingredients.
- Once the yeast mixture has bloomed, add flour to it and stir well.
- Allow the flour to hydrate for about minutes.
- Knead the flour for 4-5 minutes until the mix is semi-firm and a little sticky. Now, put the dough on a flat surface, sprinkle some dry flour and keep kneading, cupping and spinning until a ball of dough is formed.
- The dough is ready. Take olive oil and Grease a bowl with it and place the dough in it. Wrap the bowl with a plastic wrap. Please place it in the fridge overnight for better texture and taste and to have a nice fluff in the dough.
For Pizza Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned for pizza sauce in the table above, in a large bowl.
- Stir until the mixture is incorporated well. The pizza sauce is ready too.
Now, to start making the pizza (preferably, the next day of making the dough)
- Take the pizza dough out of the refrigerator at least 3 hours before you plan to bake.
- Pre-heat your oven at 550˚F.
- Sprinkle some flour and semolina on the dough.
- Cut the flour ball into four parts and flatten each part by pressing your fingers in. Pull and turn the dough and make the edge a little thicker than the center part. Stretch it to give a circular shape.
- Once the base is set, brush some garlic butter on the edge and some sauce in the middle of it in circular motion.
- Load the pizza base with some grated mozzarella cheese along with other toppings of your choice (chopped bacon, pepperoni or minced meat).
- Place the base in the preheated oven and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Now, slide out the pizza when the crust turns golden brown. Brush some more of garlic butter on top and add parmesan cheese.
You can now slice it up and have your share. It will feel heavenly. I am sure your mouth is watery by now. Do try this Pizza at home and let us know if our recipe helped you. Also, do share your feedback or any recipe that you have in your kitty.
Nutritional Facts of Gregg’s Pizza
Refer to the table below if you’re keen to know about the nutritional breakdown of the recipe.
Note: The nutrition breakdown is for 1 serving (4 pizzas).
Watch the Review of Gregg’s Pizza | Video
Do watch the video below to check what Americans think of Gregg’s Pizza.
So, friends, try out the above recipe at home and fulfill your cravings. Pizzas are going to be your Sunday staples once you master this recipe. Do share your reviews as we would love to work on the feedback from our lovely audience. Also, comment down below if you want us to share any specific recipe.