Green peppercorn sauce is best served with steak. It is made with main ingredients like green peppercorn, brandy, and beef broth. Today, let’s see how you can make the sauce at your home.
Green peppercorn sauce can be made by heating shallots, green peppercorns, and butter in a skillet. Now, add alcohol and then flour with beef broth.
Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. At last, add the cream to thicken the cream. Season and the sauce is ready to serve.
The alcohol helps give flavor to the sauce. If you don’t have cognac at home, then you can use other brands also. But for best results, I suggest you use cognac brandy only.
This was just an overview of the recipe and the complete detailed procedure is mentioned below. So, make sure you go through it before making the sauce. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
- Pommery Mustard Sauce Recipe
- Beer Cheese Dip Sauce Recipe
- White Chocolate Sauce Recipe
- Smoked Trout Dip
- Arrabbiata Sauce Recipe
- Stuffed Lobster Tails Recipe
- Raspberry Compote
- Spicy Ranch Dressing
- Black Bean Sauce
- Red Robin’s Campfire Sauce Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Green Peppercorn Sauce?
- Skillet – Prepare the green peppercorn sauce in a skillet until it gets thickened.
- Knife – Chop shallots and green peppercorns before cooking with a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Spatula – Stir the sauce with a spatula until the sauce gets reduced to half.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Green Peppercorn Sauce?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|25 Minutes||20 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Green Peppercorn Sauce?
- Butter – Butter will add richness resulting in a sauce so creamy and velvety.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream add the creamy texture, thickening the sauce.
- Beef Broth – Beef broth will add umami flavors to the sauce.
- Cognac Brandy – Cognac brandy will bring a robust and distinct flavor to the sauce, adding richness.
- Olive Oil – Cook shallots until softened in olive oil.
- Shallots – Shallots will add mild sweetness and delicate flavor to the green peppercorn sauce.
- Green Peppercorn – The green peppercorn will give a great spice and texture providing shear heaviness to the sauce.
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour will make an excellent thickener for sauce.
- Salt – Add salt to enhance the flavors of the ingredients, thickening it.
Steps To Make Green Peppercorn Sauce
1. Let’s Get Started
Take a medium skillet, and heat oil in it over medium flame. When the oil gets heated, add chopped shallots and green peppercorns.
Now add a tablespoon of butter. Cook it until the shallots have softened, for about two to three minutes.
Turn the heat off, pour in brandy and again turn the heat on. Cook until the alcohol has burned off for a minute.
2. Liquid Is The Key
In the same skillet, whisk in flour and stir it until the flour gets absorbed. Increase the heat to medium-high and add beef broth.
Stir and simmer until the sauce gets reduced to half. It will take nearly 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Creamy Sauce Is Ready
At last, add cream and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer it until it gets thickened, for about 5 minutes. Add remaining butter while stirring and season with salt.
The sauce is ready to serve.
How Will Green Peppercorn Sauce Look And Taste Like?
Green peppercorn sauce is creamy. It is infused with a bold and peppery bite from the crushed whole peppercorns. It is savory with a little bit of heat and an incredible depth of flavor thanks to the shallot, onions, and garlic that carry through.
This creamy green peppercorn sauce is the perfect accompaniment to your beef roast. A reduction of beef broth, and brandy provides a savory base.
Green peppercorns give the sauce a mild, peppery bite. Finishing with heavy cream, lends the sauce richness and body, without being heavy.
Green Peppercorn Sauce Recipe
- Chopping Board
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoon Cognac Brandy
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Beef Broth
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Minced Shallots
- 2 tablespoon Green Peppercorn
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- In a medium skillet, add oil and heat it over medium flame.
- When the oil gets heated, add shallots, green peppercorns and 1 tbsp butter.
- Cook it until the shallots have softened, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add the brandy and again turn on the heat. Cook until the alcohol has burned off for a minute.
- In the skillet, add flour and stir it until the flour gets absorbed. Increase the heat to medium-high and add beef broth.
- Stir and simmer until the sauce gets reduced to half. It will take nearly 3 to 5 minutes.
- At last, add cream and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer it until it gets thickened, for about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining butter while stirring and season with salt. The sauce is ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do you use green peppercorn for?
Whole green peppercorns make for an excellent addition to poultry, fish, vegetable, and milder game meats. Green peppercorns go especially well with very fresh or fruity tasting foods. Try them ground on salads, steamed vegetables, salsas, and in sauces.
Can you green peppercorn sauce make ahead?
The sauce can be made and refrigerated in an airtight container a day in advance. To reheat, transfer to a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently.
What can I add instead of green peppercorns?
The flavor of green peppercorns is a bit more mild flavored than black peppercorns. When making this sauce for chicken dishes, green peppercorns are a great choice.
Well, this was a little bit complex recipe for green peppercorn sauce if compared to other sauce recipes.
But don’t worry, just follow each and watch the recipe video to make a perfect sauce. If you have any suggestions, then you can post them in the comment section below.