‘Holy grail’ is a title that should be given to a few special things, but this chicken soup recipe deserves it, and you will know why. The green chili chicken soup recipe is so ultra-delicious that you will want to have it every day.
With the onset of winter, soups are the best thing to start your meal with. And when they turn out to be full-bodied and flavorful, it’s a hug in a mug!
If you love chicken soups, this hearty green chili chicken soup recipe will be your new favorite.
This soup is made with a delicious, flavorful base using chicken stock, enchilada sauce, green chilis, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic, and powder.
Then comes a generous addition of shredding chicken and corn (optional). Lastly, it is garnished with Monterey jack cheese, avocado, and sour cream. Isn’t your mouth watering already? Let’s check out the full recipe below.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Green Chili Chicken Soup?
- Crock Pot / Dutch Oven / Saucepan / Instant Pot – You can prepare green chili chicken soup in a crock pot, Dutch oven, Instant pot, or a saucepan placed over the stove, depending on how much time you have at hand.
- Knife – A knife will be required to shred the chicken.
- Cutting Board – A cutting board will help place the chicken for shredding.
- Ladle – A spoon will be required to stir and serve the soup.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Green Chili Chicken Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 minutes||3 hours 30 minutes||3 hours 35 minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Green Chili Chicken Soup?
- Chicken Breasts – To make green chili chicken soup, you will need three cooked and shredded chicken breasts. You can also use roasted chicken breast, rotisserie chicken, or grilled or poached chicken breasts.
- Chicken Broth – To make a flavorful base for the soup, you will need 2 cans of chicken broth. You can also use homemade chicken broth.
- Mild Green Enchilada Sauce – To add a kick of spice to the soup, you will need a 28 oz can of mild green enchilada sauce.
- Green Chiles – With spicy enchilada sauce, you will also need two cans of diced green chilis.
- Water – To adjust the liquid content of the soup, you will need ⅔ cup of water.
- Cumin – To add an earthy flavor to the soup, you will need one and a half tablespoons of cumin.
- Chili Powder – To add some heat to the soup, you will need one tablespoon of chili powder.
- Onion Powder – Onion adds a rich umami flavor. Hence you will add one teaspoon of onion powder.
- Garlic Powder – in addition to onion powder, you will also add one teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Corn – Corn is an optional ingredient. If you like it, you can add ⅔ cup of frozen or fresh corn thawed.
- Salt and Pepper – Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Toppings: Monterey jack cheese, avocado, sour cream – To finish off the soup, you will need Monterey jack cheese, avocado, and sour cream.
Steps To Make Green Chili Chicken Soup
1. Cook The Soup
Take a crock pot and set it at a high temperature. Add chicken broth, water, enchilada sauce, diced green chilis, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder, and stir. Add the shredded chicken to the mixture and let the soup cook for 3-4 hours.
2. Garnish The Soup
Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper. Pour the soup into your serving bow and top with grated Monterey Jack Cheese, sliced avocados, and sour cream.
Alternative Cooking Methods
This green chili chicken soup uses a crock pot as the cooking method. But if you want to make this soup in less time, you can use other cooking methods mentioned below.
- Instant Pot: Instant pot is superb cooking equipment to prepare food. It saves time, retains essential vitamins and nutrients, and, most importantly, preserves food’s taste and appearance. So, if you want to prepare green chili chicken soup in less time, you can make it in an instant pot. All you have to do is put everything in the instant pot except the garnish. Turn the pot on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Dutch Oven -Dutch oven is also a common cooking equipment. If you don’t have a crock pot or Instant pot, you can use a Dutch oven to make the green chili chicken soup. Place the Dutch oven over a stove or induction and follow the recipe.
- Saucepan – If you don’t have any of the above-mentioned equipment, you can use a simple saucepan and place it over the stovetop. Add all the soup ingredients to a saucepan placed over medium heat and bring to a light boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes. Add the shredded chicken to the chicken broth. Cook the soup for five more minutes. Garnish and serve the soup immediately.
Garnishing And Serving Suggestions
Green chili chicken soup is a full meal in itself. You can add more vegetables to it if you like. But more than that, you can garnish the soup using flavorful ingredients.
You can garnish your green chili chicken soup with fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, cream cheese, pickled onions, shredded cheese, salsa, a sprinkle of herbs or cumin, guacamole, or fresh lime juice.
Moreover, you can serve green chili chicken soup with sliced baguette or baked tortilla chips. To make it more filling, you can also add some boiled noodles or pasta to this soup or cannellini beans for a full meal.
Tips For Serving And Storing
- Green chili chicken soup tastes even better if you keep it aside for resting and serve it the next day. If you have time, make it a day ahead.
- Leftover green chili chicken soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Green Chili Chicken Soup also freezes well. You can make a double batch and then freeze it for up to 6 months. Thaw it well in the refrigerator before reheating it.
- Use a good quality chicken broth to make a delicious soup with a great aroma and flavorful taste.
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Vitamin C||2.7 mg|
How Will Green Chili Chicken Soup Look And Taste Like?
Green chili chicken soup is a perfect soup to kick-start any meal. It’s nutritious and packed with divine flavors from the chicken broth and a mix of spices. The garnishes add a punch of their own flavor, which increase the overall appeal.
This soup is as amazing to look at as it tastes. It has contrasting colors that make it look appetizing. Moreover, the garnishes like avocado and sour cream make this soup rich and add a great texture to it.
Green Chili Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cans Green Chiles, diced
- 1 can Mild Green Enchilada Sauce
- ⅔ cup Corn, if frozen, thaw out
- Toppings Monterrey jack cheese, avocado, sour cream
- 2 cans Chicken Broth
- ⅔ cup Water
- 1½ tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Take a crock pot and set it at a high temperature. Add chicken broth, water, enchilada sauce, diced green chilis, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder, and stir.
- Add the shredded chicken to the mixture and let the soup cook for 3-4 hours.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into your serving bowl and top with grated Monterey Jack Cheese, sliced avocados, and sour cream.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients do you need to make green chili soup?
To make green chili soup, you will need shredded and cooked chicken breasts, chicken broth, mild green enchilada sauce, diced green chilis, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, corn, salt, and pepper.
What garnishes can you add to green chili chicken soup?
You can garnish green chili chicken soup using fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, cream cheese, pickled onions, shredded cheese, salsa, a sprinkle of herbs or cumin, guacamole, or fresh lime juice.
What other ingredients can we add to green chili chicken soup?
You can add your choice of vegetables, boiled noodles, boiled pasta, or cannellini beans to green chili chicken soup.
Try out this super flavorful green chili chicken soup for a hearty meal. Tell me how you transformed this soup with your favorite garnishes in the comments section below.
Disclaimer – The images added in this blog post have been taken from Lil Luna.