Leave it to Gordon Ramsay to bring a new twist to even the most boring dishes. Gordon Ramsay’s chicken pie recipe is like no other. It consists of a chicken and vegetable sauce and baked puff pastry. But here’s the catch, the pie is kind of a deconstructed one. The sauce and the baked pastry are served separately.
The reason behind this, I believe, is to elevate individual flavors of the ingredients. The sauce is made from fall vegetables, chicken, pancetta, and cream. It has no ingredients that overpower the other flavors. You can taste the nutty and earthy flavors of the vegetables and the taste of the chicken. Combine this baked puff pastry and each bite becomes perfect. You also have more control over what you want in your bite. It is a small win, but it’s still a win.
This recipe is beautifully simple and absolutely delicious. I love the creamy and buttery sauce and the crispy pastry. I’ll tell you all about it below. Give me some of your time and you might learn a great new recipe today. Also, macaroons are different from macarons. Macaron is a meringue-based dessert that is filled with sweet cream or jam.
Don’t have leeks? Here is a list of leek substitutes for you. Macaroons, on the other hand, are crispy cakes made with coconut, eggs, and nuts. So, don’t confuse the two. Without any further ado, let’s make our sweet carrot cake macaroons. But first, check out some other recipes from the Chef’s delight.
1. Gordon Ramsay’s Turkey Wellington– Gordon Ramsay’s turkey wellington is the perfect dish for a feast. The wellington is layered with golden puff pastry, soft crepes, meaty stuffing and juicy turkey. Serve it with cranberry sauce and gravy and enjoy your amazing dinner.
2. Gordon Ramsay’s Carrot Cake Macaroons– Gordon Ramsay’s carrot cake macaroons are one of the best combination desserts. Carrot and coconut are the star of the show. The amazing aroma comes from sweet-smelling spices. Dip them in chocolate or icing and enjoy these mini cakes.
3. Gordon Ramsay’s Coconut Pancakes-Gordon Ramsay’s coconut pancakes are soft, fluffy, and healthy. These delicious pancakes are served with a sweet and tangy lime syrup. This is definitely a great breakfast to freshen up your mood.
4. Gordon Ramsay’s Quinoa Salad– Gordon Ramsay’s quinoa salad is a delicious way to switch to healthy eating. The salad is a like a breath of fresh air, literally. It has cucumber lime zest, and mint. Also, the almonds give a little crunch in every bite.
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Chicken Pie?
- Pan- You’ll need the pan to cook the pancetta and the vegetable sauce. You can use the same pan for both.
- Oven- Bake the puff pastry to golden perfection in the oven.
- Plate and Kitchen Paper- When you fry the pancetta, place it on a plate lined with kitchen paper. It will absorb the excess fat that comes out of the pancetta.
- Large Non-Stick Baking Sheet- Place the pastry rounds on it and then bake them.
- Brush, Knife, and Spoon- Use the brush for egg wash, knife for chopping, peeling, and scoring and the spoon for stirring.
- Wire Rack- This little guy helps the pastry cool down after baking.
- Rolling Pin- Use this to roll the puff pastry.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Chicken Pie?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|45 Minutes||15 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Chicken Pie?
- Cooked Chicken- The reason we are using cooked chicken is that it’s easier. You can bake the chicken or just use some leftover chicken.
- Pancetta- Pancetta adds a fatty richness to the sauce and the crispy bits are very welcome in every other bite.
- Leek, Celeriac and Butternut Squash- These fall vegetables give a buttery texture and add a nutty and earthy taste to the sauce.
- Puff Pastry and Plain Flour- The puff pastry makes the golden pie pastry and the flour is just to dust the surface before rolling the pastry dough.
- Olive Oil- Fry the vegetables in a dash of olive oil.
- Dry Sherry and Chicken Stock- These two cooking liquids add taste and depth to the recipe.
- Crème Fraîche- You can use heavy cream as well. It is just to make the sauce thicker and creamier.
- 1 Egg Yolk- Mix the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water to make the egg wash glaze for the pastry.
- Thyme Leaves- A handful of thyme adds a herby taste and freshness to the sauce.
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper- Seasoning! Seasoning! Season your food well, and it’s how it becomes tastier.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Chicken Pie
1. Into The Frying Pan
In a dry and hot pan, cook the pancetta for about 3-4 minutes until it becomes golden and crispy. Then, take it out of the pan and place it on a kitchen paper-lined plate.
Wipe out the pan and heat some oil in it. Add the vegetables to it and saute them for a minute. Add thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan and cook them for about 6-7 minutes.
2. Sherry On Top
When the vegetables have softened, pour the sherry into the pan and boil it for 5 minutes. Then, add the pancetta and pour the chicken stock into the pan. Boil it for 10-15 minutes until it is reduced to half. Lastly, add the crème fraîche and cook the sauce for 5 minutes. When it is reduced to one-third, remove the pan from heat.
3. Puff Pastry Rock and Roll
Place the puff pastry on a flour-dusted surface and roll it to a 2.5 mm thickness and then cut 4 rounds of 6-inch diameter. Place the rounds on a baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 200°C. Then, bake them for 2 more minutes but with the oven door open.
4. Time For Some Pie
Warm up the sauce and add the cooked chicken to it. Then, transfer to a plate and serve with the pie pastries.
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
How Does Gordon Ramsay’s Chicken Pie Look And Taste Like?
The sauce is creamy and has chunks of chicken and vegetables. The pastry is golden and crispy. You can taste the earthy vegetables and the creamy sauce. The freshness of thyme peeks through and also the little pancetta bites add a bit of crunch to every bite. The pastry is crispy and flaky. This deconstructed pie is a hit!
Gordon Ramsay’s Chicken Pie Recipe
- Kitchen Paper
- Large Non-Stick Baking Sheet
- Wire Rack
- 250 g Cooked Chicken (cut into chunks)
- 50 g Pancetta (chopped)
- 1 Leek (trimmed, sliced)
- 200 g Celeriac (peeled, cubed)
- 200 g Butternut Squash (peeled, cubed)
- 200 g Puff Pastry
- Plain Flour (for rolling)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 50 ml Dry Sherry
- 200 ml Chicken Stock
- 100 ml Crème Fraîche
- 1 Egg Yolk (beaten with 1 teaspoon Water)
- A handful Thyme Leaves
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Keep the pan over medium heat and add the pancetta into the dry pan. Cook it for about 3-4 minutes until lightly brown. Then, take the pancetta out of the pan and place it on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Wipe out the pan clean.
- Add oil to the same pan and heat it. Add the leek, celeriac, and butternut squash to the pan. Saute them for some time and sprinkle thyme, salt, and pepper over them. Cook the vegetables for 6-7 minutes until they are softened.
- After that, add the sherry to the pan and bring it to a boil. Boil it for 5 minutes until it is well reduced. Return the pancetta to the pan and pour the chicken stock into the pan as well.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and continue to do so for 10-15 minutes. When it is reduced to half, add the crème fraîche to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- When the sauce has reduced to one-third of its volume, remove the pan from heat.
- Then, preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Now, roll the puff pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 2.5 mm. Cut about 4 rounds from the rolled-out pastry of about 6-inch diameter.
- Place the rounds on the baking sheet, score them with a knife, and brush them with egg wash. Then, bake these pastry rounds for 10 minutes in the oven. Open the oven door and bake them for 2 more minutes so as to crisp them. When baked, place them on a wire rack to cool down.
- For serving, warm up the sauce and add the cooked chicken to it as well. When the sauce and chicken are warm enough, place them on a plate and top with the baked pastry.
- Your delicious chicken and vegetable pies are ready.
Even though this is a disconstructed pie, we are always up for some constructive criticism. Do tell us in the comments how well you liked this recipe. Also, if you any recipe suggestions, we are all ears. Until next time.