Gordon Ramsay roast duck is a Chinese spice rub braised in the black bean dipping sauce. Can’t wait to try it? Read this entire article to know more about this recipe.
Season the duck’s cavity with salt and pepper for Gordon Ramsay roast duck, and add spring onions, garlic, ginger, and star anise. Rub the five-spice powder over the duck and roast for about 4 hours.
Add garlic, black bean sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, and honey to a saucepan and cook for about 3-4 minutes—Flake roast duck skin using forks and serve with dipping sauce and pancakes.
If you are using frozen duck, ensure you thoroughly defrost it. Remove the giblets from inside the duck. Rinse the duck, inside and outside, with cold water—Pat dry with paper towels.
You should read the recipe card below to try your hands on this recipe. In the video below, you can also watch Gordon Ramsay making a roast duck.
Make sure you try this recipe for a special occasion and rate it. Do share this recipe with your friends and family. But first, check out some other recipes from the Chef’s delight.
What's In The Post
Other Gordon Ramsay Recipes That You Can Try
- Gordon Ramsay Quinoa Salad
- Gordon Ramsay Cornbread With Maple Bacon Butter
- Gordon Ramsay Broccoli Soup
- Gordon Ramsay Focaccia
- Gordon Ramsay Potatoes Boulangere
- Gordon Ramsay Malaysian Curry
- Gordon Ramsay Half Hour Chili
- Gordon Ramsay Pork Belly
- Gordon Ramsay Chicken Parmesan
- Gordon Ramsay Mushroom Risotto
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Roast Duck?
- Oven – Roast the duck in a preheated oven (170 C) for about an hour until the flesh is tender and crispy.
- Roasting Tray – Place the duck on the roasting tray and roast in a preheated oven (170 C) for about an hour until the flesh is tender and crispy.
- Saucepan – Add black bean sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey to the pan of sauté garlic and cook it to make dipping sauce.
- Bowls – Cook and transfer the dipping sauce into the bowl.
- Spoon – Transfer the dipping sauce in a bowl with a spoon to avoid mess.
- Spatula – Combine all the ingredients well to make yummy dipping sauce.
- Plate – After the duck is cooked, transfer it to a plate and keep it aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Knife – Chop the onions and mince the garlic and ginger with a sharp knife into chunks.
- Forks – Flake the meat off the duck, pulling it apart using two forks.
- Chopping Tray – Chop spring onions and mince garlic and ginger on a chopping tray.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Roast Duck?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||4 Hours||4 Hours 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Roast Duck?
For Making The Roast Duck
- Duck – Duck when roasted will be meaty, juicy, and tender.
- Chinese Pancakes – Serve your roast duck with Chinese pancakes as they are much thinner and have a smoother appearance.
- Spring Onions – Chop and cook spring onions for a fresh, sweet, and subtly pungent flavor.
- Garlic Cloves – Sauté minced garlic cloves to give intense flavor while making the roast.
- Fresh Root Ginger – Sauté minced ginger for spicy, peppery, and juicy flavor.
- Star Anise – Add star anise to give a mild and fragrant licorice flavor.
- Five-spice Powder – Five-spice powder will give a sweet and warm flavors from the cinnamon and fennel. Cloves will add a cooling sensation while the Szechuan peppercorns will add a numbing and peppery note.
- Salt – Season duck with salt to enhance its flavor.
- Pepper – Sprinkle pepper for pungent flavor.
- Honey – Add honey for a floral, fruity, smoky, woody, spicy, nutty and earthy flavor.
- Black Bean Sauce – Black bean sauce will add a sharp, pungent, salty flavor and spicy with a hint of sweetness to the sauce.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce will add saltiness, followed by moderate umami, sweet taste, and finally slight bitterness flavor to the sauce.
- Groundnut Oil – Peanut oil, or groundnut oil will aid a stronger peanut flavor and aroma to the sauce.
- Garlic Cloves – Garlic cloves will add a unique, pungent flavor, contributing to its mustard-y flavor profile.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay Roast Duck
1. Let’s Begin
Trim and cut spring onions into halves. Mince the garlic cloves, fresh ginger roots, and keep them aside.
Pat dry the inside of the cavity and season the cavity of the duck with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celcius.
2. The Roasting Session
Add minced ginger, garlic, star anise, and chopped spring onions to the cavity. Now rub a five-spice powder all over the duck skin.
Place the duck on the roasting tray and roast in a preheated oven (170 C) for about an hour. Reduce the heat to 140 C and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours until the flesh is tender and crispy.
3. Making Of The Dipping Sauce
For the dipping sauce, add oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic in the oil until it changes color.
Now, add black bean sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey to the pan and stir. Cook it for at least 3 minutes and transfer the sauce into the bowl.
After the duck is cooked, transfer it to a plate and cover it loosely using foil. Keep it aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
Flake the meat off the duck, pulling it apart using two forks. Serve it with the dipping sauce and pancakes.
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||24 g|
|Vitamin A||310 iu|
|Vitamin C||7 mg|
How Will Gordon Ramsay Roast Duck Look And Taste Like?
Gordon Ramsay roast duck has flaky and crispy skin with the flavors of garlic, ginger, onions, spices infused in it. The vinegar and honey added to the black bean sauce adds a subtle tangy and sweet taste to the sauce.
This dish needs 4 hours to get ready and it’s easy to cook at home. You can have it with Chinese pancakes and dipping sauce. So, get ready to roast the duck and enjoy this delicious English-Chinese fusion.
Gordon Ramsay Roast Duck Recipe
- Roasting Tray
- Chopping Tray
For Making The Roast Duck
- 1 Duck
- 20 Chinese Pancakes
- 4 Spring Onions (trimmed and cut into halves)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (bashed)
- 1.5 inch Fresh Root Ginger
- 4 cloves Star Anise
- 4 tablespoon Five-spice Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 4 tablespoons Black Bean Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Groundnut Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Season the cavity of the duck with salt and pepper after you pat the inside of the cavity.
- Add ginger, star anise, garlic, and spring onions to the cavity. Now rub a five-spice powder all over the duck skin.
- Place the duck on the roasting tin and roast in a preheated oven (170 C) for about an hour.
- Reduce the heat to 140 C and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours until the flesh is tender and crispy.
- For the dipping sauce, add oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic in the oil until it changes color.
- Now, add black bean sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey to the pan and stir. Cook it for at least 3 minutes and transfer the sauce into the bowl.
- After the duck is cooked, transfer it to a plate and cover it loosely using foil. Keep it aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Flake the meat off the duck, pulling it apart using two forks. Serve it with the dipping sauce and pancakes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does a roast duck take?
Season the duck all over with salt and pepper. Place the duck on a roasting tin and roast in the oven for 40 minutes. When the duck is cooked cover with foil and rest for 10-20 minutes before serving.
How do you crisp up a duck?
Place duck legs into an oiled baking dish. Season generously with salt. Cook in a 300 degree oven for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Crank the heat up to 375 for the last 15 minutes to brown the skin and serve.
How do you make ducks taste better?
Brine the duck for at least 12 to 15 hours. Twenty-four hours in a brine won’t hurt them, but beyond 24 hours, they’ll get a bit too salty. Duck breast fillets can be brined for six to 12 hours. If you’re short on time, just a few hours in the brine will always help.
Gordon Ramsay roast duck is tender and juicy meat with crispy skin, and it’s glazed with a honey-balsamic glaze to give the duck a beautiful roasted look. Give it a try, and don’t forget to share your experience with us.