Gordon Ramsay made this delicious mutton stew on the show, the F word. The stew looked delicious and, as per the people present there, tasted marvelous as well. Gordon Ramsay’s Mutton Stew is made with a combination of mutton, vegetables, spices, tomato puree, herbs, flour, and oil. Wine is also an unexpected addition to the stew.
According to Ramsay, mutton is more cost-efficient than lamb and is also tastier. The thing is, mutton is a bit tougher than lamb, so it needs more cooking time. But the extra cooking time works as an advantage as it makes the stew richer in flavor.
To make Gordon Ramsay’s mutton stew, coat the mutton with flour and salt and then cook it in a pot. Take it out and add onions to the pot. Then, add other vegetables, herbs, and spices. Also, add tomato puree and wine. Put the mutton back in it and add some water. Cook the mutton with a lid on for about an hour. After that, remove the lid and serve.
This is a sneak peek of the recipe. You’ll find the complete recipe for Gordon Ramsay’s Mutton Stew below.
Gordon Ramsay’s Mutton Stew Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds Mutton (cut into cubes)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 3 large Carrots (thickly chopped)
- 5 stalks Celery (thickly chopped)
- 1 Leek (thickly chopped)
- 1 head Garlic (cut into two)
- ½ cup Flour
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 sprigs Rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Peppercorns (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 ½ cups Water
- Start by heating oil in a pot. Meanwhile, coat the mutton with flour and salt.
- Put the mutton in the pot and cook it until it turns brown. Once it is cooked, take it out of the pot and keep it aside.
- Then, in the same pot, add onions and cook them until they become translucent. After that, add carrots to it and stir.
- Add garlic, leeks, and celery to the pot as well. Also, add rosemary and thyme for a herby flavor and stir.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add tomato puree and wine to it. Sprinkle crushed peppercorns over them and keep stirring.
- Return the mutton to the pot and stir it with the other ingredients. Then, add enough water to cover all the ingredients and bring it to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, lower the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the stew at low heat for about an hour.
- After that, check the consistency of the stew. If it’s not cooked, cook it for another 10-15 minutes. If it is cooked perfectly, it is time to serve it hot.