One of my favorite recipes from Greek cuisine is the moussaka. Gordon Ramsay moussaka is made with fried aubergine and bechamel sauce.
Moussaka is a very popular dish in Greece and a new and trendy recipe for the world. Moussaka has layers, different sauces, and generous amounts of cheese.
To make Gordon Ramsay moussaka, fry the aubergine until brown. Then, make bechamel sauce by cooking flour in butter and then add milk to it. After that, cook beef with onions, garlic, celery, wine, and whole spices.
Add tomato puree and paste, and cook it for 2 hours. In a deep baking dish, layer aubergine, ragu, and bechamel and bake for 30 minutes.
If you are adding potatoes to your moussaka, now its time to slice them. Fry them or bake them in the same way as the eggplants. Season with some salt and set them aside when done.
This is only a summary of the recipe. Find how to make Gordon Ramsay moussaka in detail below. But first, check out some other recipes from the Chef’s delight.
Other Gordon Ramsay Recipes That You Can Try
- Gordon Ramsay Skirt Steak
- Gordon Ramsay Chili Con Carne
- Gordon Ramsay Meatballs
- Gordon Ramsay Panna Cotta
- Gordon Ramsay Chicken Thigh
- Gordon Ramsay Potato-Crusted Sea bass with Minestrone and clams
- Gordon Ramsay Lobster Capellini
- Gordon Ramsay Holiday Stuffing
- Gordon Ramsay Chicken Pie
- Gordon Ramsay Pork Tenderloin
1. Gordon Ramsay’s Chili Con Carne– Chili Con Carne is jam packed with the exquisite Mexican flavors. With minced beef and tangy tomatoes, this dish will activate your taste buds.
2. Gordon Ramsay’s Panna Cotta – One of the most decadent desserts, Panna Cotta celebrated all over the world for its delicate taste. Check out the recipe to whip it on your own.
3. Gordon Ramsay’s Meatballs– This recipe from Gordon Ramsay brings you the most authentic Italian flavors. These meatballs will turn out to be super moist and make for a comforting meal.
4. Gordon Ramsay’s Potato Salad – A perfect side dish for your family lunch. Gordon Ramsay’s Potato Salad gets ready in no time.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Moussaka?
- Pan – Fry the aubergine slices in a pan until brown.
- Saucepan – Prepare the bechamel sauce in a saucepan with melted butter and milk.
- Frying Pan – Fry veggies in a frying pan for the ragu.
- Baking Dish – Take a deep baking dish and drizzle some olive oil in it. Pour few spoons of bechamel sauce in it as well.
- Oven – Bake the dish for 30 minutes at 180℃ with a layer of bechamel sauce and a parmesan topping.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Moussaka?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||2 Hours 45 Minutes||3 Hours|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Moussaka?
- Aubergine – Cut five large aubergine into 1 inch slices and cook to add mild flavor with crispness.
- Sunflower Oil – Fry the veggies in sunflower oil as it will result in crispy chips and batter.
For Bechamel Sauce
- Plain Flour – Use flour as a thickening agent in the water to prevent lumps for the sauce.
- Butter – Butter will act as an emulsifier giving you a thick, velvety sauce without adding texture that is associated with olive oil.
- Milk – Milk is the best option to thicken sauce. It will also add flavors, making the sauce creamier.
- Greek Yogurt – Yogurt is used to thicken sauce.
- Salt – Add salt to reduce bitterness in bechamel sauce.
- Pepper – Adding black pepper to the sauce will give a spicy, earthy, and distinct flavor.
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg will contribute a deep, nutty, and somewhat sweet flavor to the sauces.
- Beef Mince – Cut beef into pieces and cook for a flavorful and juicy bite.
- Onion – Dice and cook onions in a saucepan until translucent to add sweetness to the recipe.
- Celery – Dice celery to add a leafy and earthy flavor to the recipe.
- Garlic – Mince garlic to add intense flavor to recipe.
- Sunflower Oil – Cook the veggies in olive oil until they are soft, tender and brown.
- Tomato Sauce – Tomato sauce will add sweetness, acidity, and umami flavor to the ragu.
- Tomato Puree – Pour tomato puree into a saucepan to balance the sweetness of the veggies.
- Red Wine – Pour in the red wine to tenderize the meat, imparting complex flavors.
- Bay Leaves – Beef leaves will add a subtle bitterness that keeps heavy soups and stews from being so, well, heavy.
- Star Anise Berries – Star anise will add a mild and fragrant licorice flavor.
- Cinnamon Stick – Cinnamon stick will add a spicy red hot or atomic fireball like flavor to the recipe.
- Parmesan Cheese – Grate parmesan cheese over the recipe to add a gritty texture and a nutty taste.
- Olive Oil – Drizzle olive oil over the recipe.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay Moussaka
Cut five large aubergine into slices. Dice onion and celery and grate parmesan cheese. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the aubergine slices in it until they turn brown from both sides. Place them on a plate and soak up the excess oil with a paper towel.
For The Bechamel Sauce
In a pan, add milk and some pepper and nutmeg and heat it. In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour to it. Stir it and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
Then, add the milk to it and stir it until it thickens. After that, take the saucepan off from the heat. Once it has cooled down, add the Greek yogurt to it and mix well.
For The Ragu
Heat oil in a pan and cook onions, garlic, and celery until the onions turn translucent. Then, add the beef to it and cook it on high heat until it turns brown.
Add a little red wine to deglaze this mixture. After that, add bay leaves, star anise berries, and a cinnamon stick to it.
Now, add tomato puree and tomato paste to it and stir. Season with salt and pepper and then cook it for about 2 hours on low heat.
Take a deep baking dish and drizzle some olive oil in it. Pour few spoons of bechamel sauce in it as well.
Start by making 2 layers of fried aubergine for the base layer and top it with parmesan cheese. Then, pour a generous amount of ragu over it and again top it with parmesan.
Finish it with a layer of bechamel sauce and a parmesan topping. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes at 180℃. Take it out, slice it, and serve.
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
How Will Gordon Ramsay Moussaka Look And Taste Like?
A medley of fantastic flavors meld when moussaka (the stress is on the last syllable) is baked to perfection. No other dish in the world combines the spiced essence of minced meat and the creamy richness of béchamel sauce.
Gordon Ramsay Moussaka Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Baking Dish
- 5 large Aubergines (cut into 1 inch slices)
- 2 tablespoon Sunflower Oil (for frying)
For Bechamel Sauce
- 100 g Butter
- 1 liter Milk
- 500 g Greek Yogurt
- 100 g Plain Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 kg Beef Mince
- 100 g Onion (diced)
- 100 g Celery (diced)
- 200 g Tomato Sauce
- 50 g Tomato Puree
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 3 Star Anise Berries
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for drizzling)
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the aubergine slices in it until they turn brown from both sides.
- Place them on a plate and soak up the excess oil with a paper towel.
For The Bechamel Sauce
- In a pan, add milk and some pepper and nutmeg and heat it.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour to it. Stir it and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Then, add the milk to it and stir it until it thickens
- After that, take the saucepan off from the heat. Once it has cooled down, add the Greek yogurt to it and mix well.
For The Ragu
- Heat oil in a pan and cook onions, garlic, and celery until the onions turn translucent.
- Then, add the beef to it and cook it on high heat until it turns brown.
- Add a little red wine to deglaze this mixture. After that, add bay leaves, star anise berries, and a cinnamon stick to it.
- Now, add tomato puree and tomato paste to it and stir. Season with salt and pepper and then cook it for about 2 hours on low heat.
- Take a deep baking dish and drizzle some olive oil in it. Pour few spoons of bechamel sauce in it as well.
- Start by making 2 layers of fried aubergines for the base layer and top it with parmesan cheese
- Then, pour a generous amount of ragu over it and again top it with parmesan.
- Finish it with a layer of bechamel sauce and a parmesan topping.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes at 180℃.
- Take it out, slice it, and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is moussaka traditionally made from?
Moussaka is a traditional Greek eggplant casserole made with baked or pan fried eggplants (aubergine) and potatoes, a rich, tomatoey beef or lamb mince sauce and topped off with a deliciously creamy bechamel sauce. In other words, the ultimate comfort food.
What do you serve moussaka with?
Crusty bread and butter. Sometimes, the simplest choices really are the best! …
Lemon roasted potatoes.
Mixed leaf salad.
Crispy fried courgette fritters.
Greek tomato fritters.
Wilted spinach with garlic.
What is the top layer of moussaka made of?
There is also a three-layer version: the bottom layer consists of ground pork and beef, the middle layer of potato slices, and the top layer is typically a custard. Each layer is cooked on its own and layered in a pan and baked until the top is browned.
The very best traditional Gordon Ramsay moussaka recipe has impeccable layers of juicy beef mince, sweet eggplants, and creamy béchamel sauce baked to perfection! Try this at home and don’t forget to share your experience with us.