Gordon Ramsay is a brilliant chef with a lot of recipes. His recipe for fish and chips is one of the best and really famous. Today, I am going to share the recipe of Gordon Ramsay fish and chips.
Fish and chips is one of the most popular breakfast items in the UK. Gordon Ramsay is a chef who makes the best fish and chips. I first tried this dish in Gordon Ramsay’s restaurant. It was so tasty!
So, I thought of making the same fish and chips at my home and share this awesome recipe with you guys. I tried 4 to 5 times and eventually got the perfect recipe for you guys.
To make Gordon Ramsay fish and chips, coat the fish in the batter made from beer, flour, salt, baking soda, sugar and then, fry it.
Chips are made by cutting potatoes into thin wedge-sized slices and then, frying them. At last, mushy peas are made by boiling peas and pulse them with cream, butter, salt and pepper.
To make the best fish and chips recipe at home, we recommend using good quality fish like fresh cod, haddock or Pollock.
For the chips, you can use Maris Piper potatoes. These are a type of potato that have a high starch content, which makes them perfect for chips.
When it comes to frying your fish and chips, use beef dripping or vegetable oil. The oil should be heated to a temperature of 180C before adding the fish and chips.
Well, don’t worry if you are feeling confused about the recipe. This was just a short recipe; the complete detailed recipe is mentioned below.
But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
What's In The Post
Other Gordon Ramsay Recipes That You Can Try
- Gordon Ramsay Beef Wellington
- Gordon Ramsay Hamburger
- Gordon Ramsay Belly Of Pork
- Gordon Ramsay Rocket Mushroom And Bacon Quiche
- Gordon Ramsay Turkey
- Gordon Ramsay Vegetarian Lasagna
- Gordon Ramsay Steak Pie
- Gordon Ramsay Beef And Guinness Stew
- Gordon Ramsay Shrimp Scampi
- Gordon Ramsay Pizza Dough
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips?
- Electric Skillet – Fry the fish in an electric skillet until the fish is golden brown.
- Saucepan – Add boiled peas, a pinch of salt and pepper, minced shallot, garlic and a little knob of butter in a pan for mushy peas.
- Mixing Bowl – In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together flour, beer, and egg to make the batter.
- Knife – Mince the shallot, garlic, and cut the potatoes into slices with a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Paper Towels – Drain well the fried potatoes on paper towels.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||35 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips?
For Fish and Chips
- Yukon Gold Potatoes – When cooked, Yukon Gold potatoes will give a creamy, rich, and buttery chips.
- Cod Fillets – Fry cod fillets until brown to add a mild and milky flavor with nice and flaky texture.
- Egg – Coat fish in egg whites to add extra crunchy bits, protecting the fish from drying out once coated.
- Beer – For the lightest, crispiest fried fish, coat cod fillets in beer. It will make the fish batter delicate and puffy.
- Oil – Fry the fish until the fish is golden brown and blanch the potatoes in oil.
- Lemon – Coat the fillet in lemon before frying it to make it more flavorful without tasting acidic.
- Rice Flour – Rice flour will not only make this recipe gluten free, but also makes for a stay-crispy batter.
- Garlic Cloves – Pile the garlic cloves onto your chips, and give them a good mix, to have chips that are bursting with flavor.
- Parsley – Parsley will add a bright and slightly bitter taste that serves as a contrast to emphasize the other flavors in a dish.
- Paprika – Paprika will add mild, sweet, and smoky flavor to the chips.
- Salt – Add a little salt to the fish batter to enhance the flavor of the ingredients.
- Ground Black Pepper – Season the batter with pepper to add spicy flavor.
- Butter – Add butter in peas as it will really add so much flavor and makes them so delicious.
- Oil – Toss boiled peas, a pinch of salt and pepper, minced shallot, garlic and a little knob of butter in the oil.
- Peas – I have used marrowfat peas as they are mature standard green peas that are allowed to dry in the fields. They are different from young garden peas because they contain a high proportion of starch, giving them their signature texture.
- Shallot – A combination of fresh shallot will add a lots of flavor to this side dish.
- Garlic – Add minced garlic while making mushy peas for an intense flavor.
- Salt – Season the side dish with salt to bring out the flavors.
- Black Pepper – Season the dish with black pepper to add spicy flavor.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips
1. For Fried Fish
In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, beer, and egg. Stir until the mixture is smooth. The secret is you let the mixture stand for a night to make it even crisper.
Take the cod and season it with salt to remove the extra moisture. Then, put it in the flour with black pepper in it.
Nicely coat them and dust off excess flour. Then, dip it in the batter. Now just roll that and let it sink in the batter.
Preheat the oil in an electric skillet to 350oF (175oC). Lay your fish in the oil and fry until the fish is golden brown.
Take it out and as it is crispy and steaming hot. Season it with some salt and move on to making fries.
2. For Crispy Chips
Blanch the potatoes in the lesser heated oil (about 330o) for 2 minutes. Now, cook them for the second time with higher temperature (rise to 385o). The indicator that the fries are done is they rise up in the oil.
Drain well on paper towels. Add some fresh parsley, paprika, and a touch of some salt and pepper to it for taste.
3. Mushy Peas
Boil the peas in a pan containing water until tender for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mince the shallot and garlic for the recipe.
Put a splash of oil in the pan. Add in some boiled peas, a pinch of salt and pepper, minced shallot, garlic, and a little knob of butter.
Toss all of these together. When there is no moisture left, turn off the heat, and crush them a little bit. Add some more butter and some fresh mint.
Now, plate these glossy peas with white sauce, fries and fish that is seasoned with some lemon juice in the end and serve.
How Will Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Look And Taste Like?
Gordon Ramsay fish and chips are made with fresh, sustainable cod and thick-cut chips. The cod is coated in a light batter and fried to perfection. The chips are also fried to perfection – crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Ramsay’s fish and chips are served with mushy peas made from scratch. It is made with boiled peas, diced shallots, and fresh herbs. It’s the perfect condiment for the crispy fish and chips.
Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips Recipe
- Electric Skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board
- Paper Towels
For Fish and Chips
- 4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes (sliced)
- 1.5 pound Cod Fillets
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Beer
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 1 clove Garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Boiled Peas
- 1 Shallot (Minced)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
For Fried Fish
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, beer, and egg.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Take the cod and season it with salt to remove the extra moisture.
- Then, put it in the flour with black pepper in it.
- Nicely coat them and dust off excess flour.
- Dip it in the batter. Now just roll that and let it sink in the batter.
- Preheat the oil in an electric skillet to 350oF (175oC). Lay your fish in the oil and fry until the fish is golden brown.
- Take it out and as it is crispy and steaming hot. Season it with some salt and move on to making fries.
For Crispy Chips
- Blanch the potatoes in the lesser heated oil (about 330o) for 2 minutes.
- Now, cook them for the second time with higher temperature (rise to 385o).
- Drain well on paper towels. Add some fresh parsley, paprika, and a touch of some salt and pepper to it for taste.
For Mushy Peas
- Boil the peas in a pan containing water until tender for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince the shallot and garlic for the recipe.
- Put a splash of oil in the pan. Add in some boiled peas, a pinch of salt and pepper, minced shallot, garlic, and a little knob of butter.
- Toss all of these together. When there is no moisture left, turn off the heat, and crush them a little bit.
- Add some more butter and some fresh mint.
- Now, plate these glossy peas with white sauce, fries and fish that is seasoned with some lemon juice in the end and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What kind of fish should I use for Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips recipe?
The best kind of fish to use for this recipe is a good quality white fish like cod, haddock or halibut. You could also use salmon or trout.
How do I double coat the fish in flour?
To double coat the fish, you will need to dredge it in flour, then dip it in beaten egg, and finally coat it in more flour. This will create a nice crispy coating on the outside of the fish.
What kind of potatoes should I use for the chips?
Gordon Ramsay recommends using Maris Piper potatoes for the chips. These are a type of starchy potato that will give you nice fluffy chips.
How do I fry the chips?
For the perfect chips, you should first pre-cook them in boiling water for a few minutes before frying them. This will help them to cook evenly all the way through. You should then fry them in beef dripping or vegetable oil until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside. Season with salt and serve with malt vinegar and tartar sauce.
Gordon Ramsay fish and chips dish is a delicious and easy to follow recipe that is sure to please any seafood lover. The key to success with this dish is properly coated cod fillets.
The chips are boiled, and the mushy peas are a simple but flavorful accompaniment that takes this dish to the next level.
If you are a Gordon Ramsay fan, then do check out Gordon Ramsay’s Filet Mignon recipe. Do let us know your experiences in the comments below.