Looking for make-ahead Thanksgiving recipes? You should try Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce at home. Thanksgiving is incomplete without traditional dishes like turkey and cranberry sauce.
But Gordon’s cranberry sauce gives a star-chef delight to the Thanksgiving meal. It has caramelized cranberries and apples mixed together and deglazed with ruby port. The orange gives a slightly acidic touch to the sauce.
I’ve tried Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce a couple of times and it never fails to win me over. You can store this sauce for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
The longer it stays, the tastier it gets, as all the flavors get perfectly infused. It goes well with turkey, beef, pork chops, and many other holiday recipes. So, deglaze your caramelized cranberries into a delicious sauce for a glorious Thanksgiving meal!
If you’re wondering about the equipment and the ingredients for this recipe, check out the lists below. Follow the steps to make Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce and enjoy your Thanksgiving meal.
What's In The Post
Other Gordon Ramsay Recipes That You Can Try
- Gordon Ramsay Christmas Pudding
- Gordon Ramsay Turkey And Ham Pie
- Gordon Ramsay Mashed Potatoes
- Gordon Ramsay Cornbread With Maple Bacon Butter
- Gordon Ramsay Lamb Chops
- Gordon Ramsay Holiday Stuffing
- Gordon Ramsay Sausage Roll
- Gordon Ramsay Christmas Martini
- Gordon Ramsay Spaghetti Bolognese
- Gordon Ramsay Lamb Shanks
What Is The Difference Between Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce And The Regular Cranberry Sauce?
|Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce||Regular Cranberry Sauce|
|Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce has delectable flavor of caramelized cranberries and apples.||Regular cranberries is made with caramelized cranberries, sugar, and water. No apples are added to the regular cranberry sauce.|
|Ramsay’s version of cranberry sauce has rich spices like star anise, cardamom, and cinnamon.||In the regular cranberry sauce, there are cardamom pods, slices of fresh ginger, and dried cherries.|
|Gordon Ramsay enhances the cranberry sauce with a splash of orange juice and orange zest.||The regular cranberry sauce has no orange juice or port wine. It is simply prepared with cranberries, water, and sugar.|
Is Between Cranberry Sauce And Cranberry Relish The Same?
|Cranberry Sauce||Cranberry Relish|
|The cranberry sauce is a chunky sauce cooked with rich elements.||The cranberry relish is uncooked. Prepare the cranberry relish by blending the cranberry relish elements.|
|It is sweeter than the cranberry relish.||It is ready in just 5 minutes and it is less sweet than the cranberry sauce.|
What Are Some Important Tips To Prepare Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce?
- Gordon Ramsay’s version of cranberry sauce is chunky and thick. If you wish to make a smooth cranberry sauce, pulse the mixture. It will help you to achieve silky smooth cranberry sauce in no time.
- Another tip while you make Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce, is to let the sauce cool down before transferring it to the refrigerator.
- There is no need to defrost the cranberries when using frozen ones.
Does This Cranberry Sauce Need A Thickening Agent?
Adding thickener to the cranberry sauce is a personal choice. Gordon Ramsay hasn’t added any thickening agent while making homemade cranberry sauce. However, you can add gelatin, pectin, or cornstarch slurry to achieve the desired consistency.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce?
- Bowl – Use a bowl to keep chopped apples.
- Heavy-Based Pan – Use a heavy-based pan for making cranberry sauce.
- Spatula – To stir the ingredients to the sauce, use a spatula.
- Serving Dish – Serve the delicious Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce in a serving dish.
- Air-tight Jar- You can also store this sauce in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or a jar.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||15 minutes||20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce?
- Caster Sugar – Caster sugar dissolves better than normal sugar and is best for caramelizing the cranberries and apples for the sauce.
- Star Anise – Star anise gives a delicious anise-like flavor to the sauce.
- Apples – Peel at least two apples and chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Ruby Port Wine – Ruby port is a fresh wine with a sweet flavor for fruits. It’s red in color and you can use it to deglaze the sauce mixture in the pan.
- Cinnamon Powder – Add a pinch of cinnamon powder to the caramelized cranberries.
- Cardamom – Use green cardamom pods for this recipe. Make sure you crush the cardamom pods before using them.
- Cranberries – Cranberries are the main ingredient for this sauce. Use fresh cranberries.
- Orange Juice – Add a fruit-like citrusy flavor to the sauce by adding orange zest and orange juice to the sauce.
- Orange Zest – Add a teaspoon of orange zest to the caramelized cranberries.
- Mint – Garnish the cranberry sauce with mint leaves for aromatic flavors.
- Salt – Add salt to your taste.
- Black Pepper – A pinch of black pepper will balance the sweetness.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce
1. Caramelize Cranberries And Apples
Set a heavy-based pan over medium heat and add star anise and cardamom pods to it. Add the caster sugar and let it melt. Add cranberries to the pan and let them soften. Then, add apples and cook further for 3 to 4 minutes. Toss them to coat caramel around the cranberries and apples.
2. Deglaze With Ruby Port
Add ruby port to deglaze and then add orange juice to reduce the heat in the pan. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Garnish it with a mint leaf and enjoy.
Transfer this sauce to a serving dish and strain the sauce’s star anise and cardamom pods. If not served, keep this sauce in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or jar.
How Do You Know When Cranberry Sauce Is Done?
The cranberry sauce will be thickened, and you will know it is ready to serve. On top of that, you will know the sauce is done right when you see a dark maroon color forming.
What To Pair With Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce?
Cranberry sauce is a versatile sauce. It can mingle well with an assortment of dishes. Be it a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner or an add-on to the sandwiches. The cranberry sauce is drooling. Check out the options below to pair the homemade cranberry sauce.
- Roasted Meats – The cranberry sauce with floral notes of orange juice perfectly matches roasted meats. Drizzle this cranberry sauce over the top of pork chops, pan-seared steaks, and roasted chicken. It will enhance the flavors and taste of the meats.
- Breakfast – Spoon the homemade cranberry sauce over the pancakes or use it as a spread for sandwiches. The choice is yours!
- Desserts – Pair the cranberry sauce with decadent desserts like cheesecakes, waffles, or ice creams.
- Smoothies – Cranberry sauce added to the smoothies brings out fruity flavors. You can pour the sauce into the ice tray for an easy smoothie blend.
Can You Freeze Cranberry Sauce?
Yes, you can refrigerate the cranberry sauce for up to a week. When you prepare the sauce, let it cool down and place it in the refrigerator. Gently heat and serve as your favorite topping when you need it.
How To Fix Bitter Cranberry Sauce?
If your homemade cranberry sauce comes out bitter, fret not, it can be fixed. Try to add any sweetener that is not in a granulated form.
Granulated sugar can make things worse. So, I prefer adding a tablespoon of maple syrup, honey, or a teaspoon of caramelized sugar. It is easy to incorporate the liquid into the cranberry sauce.
After adding the sweetener, enhance the sweetness with a splash of apple juice, orange juice, or white wine. Make sure you don’t overpower the flavor and taste of the cranberry sauce.
What Are Other Ways To Flavor The Cranberry Sauce?
You can flavor the cranberry sauce by adding lemon or grapefruit zest and warm spices like star anise, cloves, or cardamom. A pinch of grated ginger is also the best add-on to flavor the homemade cranberry sauce.
What Are The Healthy Benefits Of Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce?
The cranberry sauce is low in sugar and loaded with antioxidants. In addition to this, the cranberry sauce is also packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Adding cranberries to your staple diet is the best option to acquire a healthy lifestyle. The steps below can help you understand how cranberry sauce is healthy.
- Rich In Antioxidants – Cranberry contains essential nutrients, minerals, and vitamins.
- Improves Heart Health – Cranberries improve heart health and support vascular function.
- Fight Against Infections – Cranberries are well known for fighting against UTIs and other common infections.
How Will Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce Look And Taste Like?
Finally! We’re ready with delicious Gordon Ramsay’s cranberry sauce for our Thanksgiving dinner. This delicious red sauce looks amazing and has the aroma of spices and fruits. It has caramel sweetness along with the sweetness of the ruby port. The flavors of apples and cranberry are complemented by the zesty flavor of orange zest and juice. The anise and cardamom seeds add more festive delight to this traditional Thanksgiving sauce.
Gordon Ramsay Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Heavy-based Pan
- Serving Dish
- Air-tight Jar
- 3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
- 1 Star Anise
- ½ cup Apples (Peeled And Chopped)
- ½ cup Ruby Port Wine
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 cup Cranberries
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- Mint Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Set a heavy-based pan over medium heat and add star anise to it. Add cardamom pods and caster sugar to the pan and let it melt.
- Add cranberries to the pan when the sugar in the pan turns into rich dark caramel. Toss in chopped apples and coat them with caramel.
- Let it cook for around 10 minutes.
- Deglaze the apple and cranberries with ruby port and reduce the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the sauce becomes thick, remove star anise and cardamom pods from the sauce.
- Transfer the sauce into serving dish. You can store it in the refrigerator in an air-tight jar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does homemade cranberry sauce last?
If properly stored, homemade cranberry sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 to 14 days. In case you wish to keep it for longer, store the sauce in completely covered airtight container. However, do not use the homemade sauce for more than a month.
How do you know when cranberry sauce is done?
When you see that the sauce has achieved a thick consistency of cranberry sauce, turn off the flame and pour the sauce into the container.
Should cranberry sauce be served hot or cold?
Serve the cranberry sauce chilled. You can store the cranberry sauce in the refrigerator for several days and spread it on your favorite breads.
What is cranberry sauce used for?
Cranberry sauce or cranberry jam is a sauce or relish made out of cranberries. It is commonly used as a bread toppings, as a condiment, or a side dish with Thanksgiving dinner in most of the countries.
I hope you have noted the required list of equipment, ingredients, and steps to prepare Gordon Ramsay cranberry sauce at home. Follow the full recipe to get it done right. Share your cooking experience with us in the comment section below.