Do you want a dessert recipe that’s bombe (pun intended!). Then, you should try Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas cake recipe. It is a cake-like no other. In fact, it isn’t a cake technically. It is a swiss roll dessert filled with a sweet meringue filling. But swiss roll is similar to cake and meringue is similar to icing, so this bombe dessert is the cake’s first cousin.
Gordon Ramsay’s recipes for Christmas cake might be slightly unconventional, but it is delicious as ever. The filling has mixed glacé fruit, which is candied peels, and fruits. This gives the cake a surprise tang and sweet flavor in a bit. The meringue is made with egg whites and sugar syrup. The filling also has cherries, pistachios, orange liqueur, and ginger syrup. The Christmas flavor comes from the preserved ginger.
I love this recipe because it doesn’t burn my hand. Just assemble this cake or dessert, whatever you want to call it, and chill it for some time in the fridge. It’s that easy! Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas cake is delicious and you can call it a ‘bombe’ dessert (wordplay done!). Find the complete recipe for Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas cake below. But before you check it out, explore the other Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas recipes.
- Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Pudding
- Gordon Ramsay’s Bread And Butter Pudding
- Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Crumble
- Gordon Ramsay’s Mince Pies
- Gordon Ramsay Lemon Meringue Pie
- Gordon Ramsay Crème Brulee
- Gordon Ramsay Apple Galettes
- Gordon Ramsay New York Cheesecake
- Gordon Ramsay Raspberry Souffle
- Gordon Ramsay Chocolate Avocado Mousse
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake?
- 2 Liter Bowl- Assemble the cake in the 2-liter bowl.
- Large Bowls- Make the meringue mixture in one bowl and whip the cream in another.
- Cling Film- The cling film will make sure that your cake stays together when chilling.
- Small Heavy-Based Saucepan- Make the sugar syrup in this saucepan.
- Flat Plate- You need a flat plate to cover the top of the bowl with the cake.
- Whisk, Spatula, and Knife- Whisk the eggs and cream using a whisk. Spatula will be used for mixing and folding. Lastly, use the knife for slicing, cutting, and chopping purposes.
- Hand Blender – Whip the eggs using a hand blender.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake?
|Preparation Time||Chilling Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||1 Hour||1 Hour 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake?
- Cake Flour – You’ll need cake flour in order to make the base of your cake.
- Cherries in Kirsch-Flavored Syrup – This serves two purposes. Add the cherries to the filling and drizzle the kirsch-flavored syrup over the christmas cake.
- Eggs – You would require 3 whole eggs in order to make the base of the cake.
- Butter – Add 200g of butter to make a smooth base for the cake.
- Cinnamon Powder – Add a tablespoon of cinnamon powder to a hint of spice and warmth to this sweet cake.
- Caster Sugar and Orange Juice – Make the sugar syrup but boiling sugar and water together.
- Preserved Stem Ginger – The ginger syrup and the preserved ginger stem are both used for flavoring the cake.
- Mixed Glacé Fruit – The glazed fruit mixture is just a fancy word for candied fruits. It contains orange zest, candied orange and lemon peels along with cherries, pineapples, and citron.
- Irish Whisky – There can never be a Christmas cake without alcohol in it. We have baked this cake with Jameson Irish Whisky. You can choose accordingly as per your preferences.
- Dark Brown Sugar – To give your Christmas cake, a rich brown color, add dark brown sugar to it. It will also add a hint of sweetness to it.
- Vanilla Essence – To add the rich flavor of vanilla, use half a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Salt – Salt will act as a flavor enhancer in a sweet dish like Christmas Cake.
- Dry Nuts – We have added cashews, raisins, black currant, and almonds in this cake to give a little crunch in the mix.
- Redcurrant Sprigs – Once the cake is made, beautify it with some redcurrant sprigs.
- Icing Sugar – Lastly, all you need to as a finishing touch is dust the cake with icing sugar.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake
1. Make Thy Batter
Take a bowl, whip sugar and butter in it. Add eggs to this mixture with the help of a hand blender. In another bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder. In order to make the batter, you must combine these two mixtures for a smooth batter.
2. Of Syrupy Consistency
Now, it’s time to make the sugar syrup. Take a heavy-based saucepan and add orange juice and Irish Whiskey to it. Add nuts, cherries, orange zest and preserved ginger. Boil it on medium heat until the juice gets absorbed.
3. Bake It Up
In a cake tin, transfer this batter and place it in an oven for 15-20 minutes. Make sure that the oven has been preheated at 180 degrees.
5. For The Bombe Cake
Then, take it out and remove the parchment paper. Place the cake on the top side down on a serving plate. Top it with some redcurrant sprigs and dust with icing sugar. Your delicious Christmas cake is ready.
How Will Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake Taste And Look Like?
The cake looks really beautiful if you ask me. I mean the swiss roll looks all swirly and that just makes the cake look pretty. The filling tastes sweet with a lot of textures and flavors. The fruity and citrus flavors come from the mixed glazed fruit, cherries, and orange liqueur. You also get a good taste of the ginger. The meringue and cream filling is sweet and smooth. You can also taste the earthy and sweet taste of pistachios. The filling and the chocolate swiss roll go really well together. All you have to do is fill it and chill it.
Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake Recipe
- 2 Liter Bowl
- 2 Large Bowls
- Cling film
- Small Heavy-Based Saucepan
- Flat Plate
- Hand Blender
- 300 g Cake Flour
- 200 g Butter
- 50 g Cherries in Kirsch-Flavored Syrup
- 150 ml Irish Whisky
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon Powder
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 100 g Dark Brown Sugar
- 50 g Preserved Stem Ginger in syrup (chopped) (1 tablespoon syrup from the jar)
- 100 g Mixed Glacé Fruit (chopped)
- 30 g Dry Nuts (chopped)
- 3 large Egg Whole
- 300 ml Double Cream
- 75 ml Fresh Orange Juice
- Few Redcurrant Sprigs (for topping)
- Icing Sugar (for dusting)
- 1 pinch Salt
- First of all, take a large bowl, whip dark brown sugar, caster sugar, butter (room-temperature) with a hand blender.
- One-by one, add 3 whole eggs into the mixture.
- Take another bowl and add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder. Mix it well and transfer it to the bowl with egg mixture.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Add the dry nuts, cherries, preserved ginger, mixtured fruit mixture in a mix of orange juice and Irish Whisky until the entire juice is absorbed.
- Mixing the fruit mix glace with the cake batter. Add more orange juice to this mixture. Now, we'll add the remaining dry nuts into this final batter.
- Take a cake tin, line it with parchment paper, transfer the batter to it and place it in an oven preheated at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Once, the cake is baked, take it out of the mold. Brush it with the remaining glaze to give it a nice shine, dust the cake with ice sugar before serving..
- Your Christmas Cake is ready!
This was all about Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas cake recipe. This swiss roll bombe is an easy and no-bake dessert to make for your Christmas dinner. If you have any suggestions or want to tell us about how well you like the recipe, mention all of them in the comments below. See you next time. Until then, happy cooking!