I know that Gordon Ramsay’s bread and butter pudding sounds like a bore. But in actuality, it is an amazing recipe. I had the same prejudice when I heard the name of the recipe. I was shocked that the recipe and the end product were anything but boring. I mean, the bread isn’t your regular bread but pain au chocolat.
The pain au chocolat, as you know, is a type of French pastry filled with dark chocolate. This delicious ‘bread’ is baked with the delicious goodness of cinnamon and apricot jam. It is soaked in a rich milk and cream mixture and then baked until golden. You can’t imagine the aroma that fills your kitchen when you bake this pudding.
The pudding looks damn appetizing too. I mean, the pastry has become tender after soaking and baking and looks golden and glazed. Can you tell I am in love? Try the recipe and you will fall in love too. Try some of the other best recipes by Gordon Ramsay
If you don’t want to use pain au chocolat, you can use challah bread too. It has a rich and delicious taste. If you don’t have challah bread, here is a list for challah bread substitutes.
I definitely and strongly endorse this recipe (this is an unpaid promotion!). Scroll down to find all about Gordon Ramsay’s bread and butter pudding. But before you check it out, explore the other Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas recipes.
1. Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake -Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas cake is a no-bake cake. It is made with a swiss roll dome filled with delicious meringue cream. Just chill the cake to set and you’re set as well.
2. Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Pudding – Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas pudding is made with delicious apples and dry fruits. You’ll also find a citrusy freshness because of mixed peel and zest. The spices add Christmassy flavors to the pudding. This delicious pudding is coming together with many amazing flavors.
3. Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Crumble – Gordon Ramsay’s apple crumble is a great apple dessert. It is made with a sweet and tangy apple filling and is topped with a crumbly granola mixture. The top turns golden when baked. This dessert is an easy recipe when you don’t want to bake a pie.
4. Gordon Ramsay’s Mince Pies – Do you want to bake a different pie this Christmas? Then, bake Gordon Ramsay’s mince pies. These delicious pies are made with crispy pastry and a sweet mincemeat filling. The best part is that these pies can be stored for a long time.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding?
- Baking Dish – Take a large baking dish to make bread and butter pudding.
- Oven – This is a baked dessert. So, you need an oven to do the baking for you.
- Pan – We need the jam to be melted and of pouring consistency. Thus, we use a pan to melt the delicious jam.
- Large Bowl – The milk and cream mixture comes together in the bowl.
- Whisk – Beat the pudding mixture using a whisk.
- Knife – Use the knife for slicing the pain au chocolat and butter.
- Spoon – Use the spoon for stirring and spooning.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding?
- Pain Au Chocolat – In the United States, the pain au chocolat is normally referred to as ‘chocolate croissant’. The reason is that it is really close to a croissant. It is a delicious baked pastry filled with rich and dark chocolate.
- Eggs – Eggs act as a binding agent. It will help to achieve desired consistency of the pudding.
- Softened Butter – It is a bread and butter pudding. So, butter is the second key ingredient in this recipe. Also, use some of it for greasing the baking dish.
- Golden Raisins – The raisins are a part of the jam base of the pudding.
- Demerara Sugar – The sugar is used to sweeten the pudding as well as to glaze it.
- Apricot Jam – The jam is melted and is used as a base for the delicious pudding.
- Vanilla Extract – The vanilla seeds give a distinct sweet fragrance to the pudding.
- Whole Milk – Prepare the custard using half a cup of whole milk with cream and eggs.
- Double Cream – Adding double cream will thicken the consistency of the pudding.
- Ground Cinnamon – You’ll find cinnamon everywhere in the pudding. It is sprinkled at the base, added to the soaking mixture, and also on top of the pudding.
What Are The Best Toppings To Go With Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding?
There are plenty of options for choosing the toppings for bread and butter pudding. Check out the given options below and choose your favorite toppings.
1. Maple Syrup
Maple syrup is one of the fan-favorite toppings in an assortment of dishes. It is sweet and enhances the flavors of bread and butter pudding.
Mascarpone is triple-crème cheese prepared from fresh cream. It is paired well with bread and butter pudding. A dollop of mascarpone over the top of bread and butter pudding will give you a finger-licking experience.
3. Ice Cream
Many people love to top the bread and butter pudding with ice cream. You can choose any flavor to garnish the bread and butter pudding.
A drizzle of custard over the bread and butter pudding brings out the silky smooth texture of the pudding.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding
First, start by preheating the oven to 180℃. Begin to slice the pain au chocolat and spread the butter on all the slices of the bread.
Further, prepare the custard for the pudding. Beat eggs, add whole milk, regular cream, cinnamon powder, and vanilla essence.
Soak your pain au chocolat into the custard you’ve just prepared.
Spread the jam over the baking dish, and add Demerara sugar, raisins, and cinnamon powder to the baking pan. Place the soaked pan au Chocolat into the baking dish and pour the leftover mixture over the top.
Sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar and brush a spoonful of jam on the top of the pudding.
Place the baking dish in the oven and bake the pudding for 25-30 minutes at 180°C. When the pudding is baked slice and serve to relish.
Does Bread Pudding Need To Be Refrigerated After Baking?
Refrigerating the pudding is important because it is moist. It can easily grow mold if it sits on the countertop for a long time. So, it is better to refrigerate the leftover bread pudding for later use.
Generally, the bread pudding tastes delicious when served warm. However, refrigerate and reheat anytime before serving if you are left with some of the bread and butter pudding.
How To Reheat Bread And Butter Pudding?
There are a few options that you can use to reheat bread and butter pudding. Check out the best of them below.
Reheat the bread and butter pudding and warm up the decadent bread and butter pudding.
Place the bread and butter pudding in the microwave to reheat the cold pudding. In 15 seconds, you can serve the warm pudding with your favorite toppings.
Can Bread And Butter Pudding Sit Out Overnight?
Don’t let the bread and butter pudding sit overnight at room temperature. However, you can refrigerate the pudding after it is baked. Make sure you finish the pudding within 3-4 days.
The reason why we shouldn’t let the pudding sit is that bacteria grows fast at room temperature. Even reheating the pudding will not make it better.
Refer to the nutritional facts of bread and butter pudding below.
How Will Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding Will Look And Taste Like?
The pudding looks glazed when you take it out of the oven. Slice it and you’ll see the jam layer topped with the pain au chocolat slices. You can also taste the chocolate that is in the pastry. The cinnamon flavor is also persistent in the pudding. You can make it for your Christmas dinner or like me, every other week.
Gordon Ramsay Bread And Butter Pudding
- 6 Pains Au Chocolat (cut into 1 cm slices)
- 3 Eggs
- 50 g Softened Butter (plus some for greasing)
- 35 g Golden Raisins
- 4 tablespoons Demerara Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Apricot Jam
- 2 Vanilla Extract
- 500 ml Whole Milk
- 120 ml Double Cream
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
- First, start by preheating the oven to 180℃. Begin to slice the pain au chocolat and spread the butter to all the slices of the bread.
- Further, prepare the custard for the pudding. Beat eggs, add whole milk, regular cream, cinnamon powder, and vanilla essence.
- Soak your pain au chocolat into the custard you've just prepared.
- Spread the jam over the baking dish, and add Demerara sugar, raisins, and cinnamon powder to the baking pan. Place the soaked pan au Chocolat into the baking dish and pour the leftover mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar and brush a spoonful of jam on the top of the pudding.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake the pudding for 25-30 minutes at 180°C.
- Slice a generous piece of the moist and delicious pudding, brush it with some left jam, and serve.
This is the complete recipe for Gordon Ramsay’s bread and butter pudding. Make this dessert and tell me in the comments how well you liked it. I am going to go stuff my face with this delicious dessert, you take care.