Gordon Ramsay’s bread and butter pudding sounds like a bore, I know. But in actuality, it is an amazing recipe. I had the same prejudice when I heard the name of the recipe. I was shocked that the recipe and the end product were anything but boring. I mean, the bread isn’t your regular bread but pain au chocolat.
The pain au chocolat, as you know, is a type of French pastry filled with dark chocolate. This delicious ‘bread’ is baked with the delicious goodness of cinnamon and apricot jam. It is soaked in a rich milk and cream mixture and then baked until golden. You can’t imagine the aroma that fills your kitchen when you bake this pudding.
The pudding looks damn appetizing too. I mean, the pastry has become tender after soaking and baking and looks golden and glazed. Can you tell I am in love? This recipe for bread and butter pudding by Gordon Ramsay is also a great and quick dessert to make for a Christmas entrée.
If you don’t want to use pain au chocolat, you can use challah bread too. It has a rich and delicious taste. If you don’t have challah bread, here is a list for challah bread substitutes.
I definitely and strongly endorse this recipe (this is an unpaid promotion!). Scroll down to find all about Gordon Ramsay’s bread and butter pudding. But before you check it out, explore the other Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas recipes.
1. Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Cake-Gordon ramsay’s christmas cake is a no-bake cake. It is made with a swiss roll dome filled with a delicious meringue cream. Just chill the cake to set and you’re set as well.
2. Gordon Ramsay’s Christmas Pudding- Gordon ramsay’s Christmas pudding is made with delicious apples and dry fruits. You’ll also find a citrusy freshness because of mixed peel and zest. The spices add the Christmassy flavors to the pudding. This delicious pudding is a coming together of many amazing flavors.
3. Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Crumble- Gordon Ramsay’s apple crumble is a great apple dessert. It is made with a sweet and tangy apple filling and is topped with a crumbly granola mixture. The top turns golden when baked. This dessert is an easy recipe when you don’t want to bake a pie.
4. Gordon Ramsay’s Mince Pies– Do you want to bake a different pie this Christmas? Then, bake Gordon Ramsay’s mince pies. These delicious pies are made with crispy pastry and a sweet mincemeat filling. The best part is that these pies can be stored for a longtime.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordin Ramsay’s Bread And Butter Pudding?
- 18 x 23 cm Baking Dish- This is the right dish size if you want to make a pudding that serves about 8 people.
- Oven- This is a baked dessert. So, you need an oven to do the baking for you.
- Pan- We need the jam to be melted and of pouring consistency. Thus, we use a pan to melt the delicious jam.
- Large Bowl- The milk and cream mixture comes together in the bowl.
- Whisk, Knife, and Spoon- You need a whisk to mix the liquid ingredients. Use the knife for slicing and you can also butter the slices with it. Use the spoon for stirring and spooning.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Bread And Butter Pudding?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Bread And Butter Pudding?
- Pain Au Chocolat- In the United States, the pain au chocolat is normally referred to as ‘chocolate croissant’. The reason is that it is really close to a croissant. It is a delicious baked pastry filled with rich, dark chocolate.
- Softened Butter- It is a bread and butter pudding. So, butter is the second key ingredient in this recipe. Also, use some of it for greasing the baking dish.
- Golden Raisins- The raisins are a part of the jam base of the pudding.
- Demerara Sugar- The sugar is used to sweeten the pudding as well as to glaze it.
- Apricot Jam- The jam is melted and is used as a base for the delicious pudding.
- Vanilla Pods- The vanilla seeds give a distinct sweet fragrance to the pudding.
- Whole Milk, Double Cream, and Eggs- This trio makes the rich mixture that is used to soak the bread slices and also over poured over the slices later. This moistens the pudding and gives a creamy taste to it.
- Ground Cinnamon- You’ll find cinnamon everywhere in the pudding. It is sprinkled at the base, added to the soaking mixture, and also on top of the pudding.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Bread And Butter Pudding
1. A Little Prep
Like always, start by preheating the oven to 180℃. Then, take your baking dish and grease it with butter.
Also, melt the jam in a pan over medium heat. After that, set it aside. Going back to the baking sheet, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar all over the sheet. Also, sprinkle the golden raisins all over the sheet. Then, pour the melted jam all over the bottom of the baking sheet. This is the base of your delicious pudding.
2. Soaked ‘Chocolat’
If you have sliced the bread, take the pain au chocolat slices and butter them from one side.
Then, make the rich and creamy mixture. In a large bowl, add milk, double cream, and eggs. Also, add the freshly scraped vanilla seeds and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon to it. Mix everything well. You’ll be able to smell the sweet vanilla in the mixture.
Now, one by one, soak the bread slices lightly in this mixture and layer them in the baking dish such that the slices are overlapping. Repeat this with all the slices and layer them in the baking dish. Pour the remaining mixture over the slices. Then, sprinkle sugar and ground cinnamon on top of it as well.
3. Bake It Till You Make It
It is time to pop this dish in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes. Take it out once it is all golden and glazed. Slice a generous piece of the moist and delicious pudding, brush it with some left jam, and serve. Bite into it and sing praises of Gordon Ramsay (and me).
How Will Gordon Ramsay’s Bread And Butter Pudding Will Look And Taste Like
The pudding looks glazed when you take it out of the oven. It strongly smells of vanilla, cinnamon, and apricots. Slice it and you’ll see the jam layer topped with the pain au chocolat slices. The pudding is sweet and moist. The milk and cream give it a rich taste. It is also slightly heavy on the tummy. You can also taste the chocolate that is in the pastry. The cinnamon flavor is also persistent in the pudding. You can make it for your Christmas dinner or like me, every other week.
Gordon Ramsay’s Bread and Butter Pudding
- 18 x 23 cm Baking Dish
- Large Bowl
- Whisk, Knife, and Spoon
- 6 Pains Au Chocolat (cut into 1 cm slices)
- 50 g Softened Butter (plus some for greasing)
- 35 g Golden Raisins
- 4 tablespoons Demerara Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Apricot Jam
- 2 Vanilla Pods (seeds ony)
- 500 ml Whole Milk
- 120 ml Double Cream
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
- Start by preheating the oven to 180℃. Then, take your baking dish and grease it with butter.
- Add the jam to a pan and place it over medium heat. Heat the jam until it melts. After that, set it aside.
- Then sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon in the baking sheet. Also, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar along with the raisins all over the sheet. Then, pour the melted jam all over the bottom of the s
- Take the pain au chocolat slices and butter them from one side.
- In a large bowl, add milk, double cream, and eggs. Also, add the freshly scraped vanilla seeds and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon to it. Mix everything well.
- Now, one by one, soak the bread slices lightly in this rich mixture and layer them in the baking dish such that the slices are overlapping. Repeat this with all the slices and layer them in the baking dish. If the milk and cream mixture is remaining, pour it over the slices. Then, sprinkle sugar and ground cinnamon on top of it as well.
- Pop this dish in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes.
- Take it out once it is all golden and glazed. Slice a generous piece of it, brush it with some jam, and serve.
This is the complete recipe for Gordon Ramsay’s bread and butter pudding. Make this dessert and tell me in the comments how well you liked it. I am going to go stuff my face with this delicious dessert, you take care.